Help needed, to choose the right psu

nemedzerian

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hello everyone

I'm building a new pc for both Designing/Gaming uses, and although i've already chosen almost all the components there's one that for me is a little more complicated to make a decision, so i need your help guys to choose which psu can take all the load of my build. Here are the specifications:

Intel Core I7 3770K 3.5 GHz 8mb cache LGA 1155
Gigabyte Intel GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB-WIFI rev 1.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048mb GDDR5 256 bits
Corsair Vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) Dual channel 1600 Mhz DDR3
HDD Western Digital 2TB 64mb cache SATA III
SSD OCZ Vertex 4 256gb
Corsair Hydro H100i Liquid cpu cooler

All into a Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 case.

I already have a psu candidate, a Seasonic 1000w Platinum SS-1000XP. So the real question is: Is it enough?, is it too much?, are there better and more suitable options?.

I really need your help on this one guys,
Thanks for your time.

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference clocked GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power...
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two reference clocked GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Seasonic Platinum Series 1000W (SS-1000XP), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 83 Amps and with six (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 670 graphics card. It is also way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

Even the Seasonic Platinum Series 760W (SS-760XP), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 63 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 670 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. There is also ample capacity on the +12V rail to handle any overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) that you may want to attempt. It'll also save you some money.

Solution