Cable modems

G

Hi! Im working with cable modem Internet access i sweden, and I´d like to hear a bit from you cable modem users in the US, UK etc. What's working good and whats not? What do you think is the biggest prob. using cablemodems? What kinds of speed are available? Any problems with games over Internet? Any particular games? Does all cable providers build and manage the connection the same way (apartment
----> backbone)
Looking forward to some comments and answers on this.
//Thomas

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well the thing that's working good is the downloads. I live in Massachusetts and use Charter Pipeline. I get 1.5mbps down and 768kbps up. It has an excellent uptime. Can't remember the last time it went down. Game are awesome on cable (personal opinion) I have heard other people say DSL is better but to tell you the truth my pings are excellent to most servers.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"What do you think is the biggest prob. using cablemodems?"

It really depends on the area where you ask people. My main area is a small suburb of a small metropolis area (less than 1million). It is awesome. No proxy, and I used to get 128k/s upload, but recently capped at 32k/s upload. Downloads have dropped (as a result), but I can still get over 400k/s download from a single source, and close to 600k/s total. Now, in a larger area that I go to several times a year, the cable service is run through a proxy. It is terrible. 16k/s upload, and a little over 250k/s download. Don't get me wrong, it's faster than dialup. But the proxy that the company uses is so they can make more money (imagine that?). Serving 10,000 people per hub using a proxy probably gets them several extra million dollars per year.

So (the moral of the story), if people in your area are computer illiterate, definately run your service with a proxy. You'll make a lot more cash with less overhead.