Win ME and BIOS-update

G

How can I update my BIOS under Win ME? I've tried to start in DOS-mode but it doesn't work! I've tried step-by-step, but it always ends up in Windows fault-safe mode. I have a AOpen MB and AWARD Bios, and I have this new PIII 800MHz I want to try. Please help me!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Find somebody with a Win 98 machine and make yourself a boot disk. Insert floppy in "a" drive then right click on floppy in "my computer". Then click format and then "copy system files only" When finished, copy and paste your flash utility and bios rom to the disk.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Create a startup disk by 'Add/Remove Program' feature in Control Panel of Win ME. After that, delete all files in it except MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM. It will allow you boot to DOS (Remember set boot from floppy first in BIOS).

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've never tried this in a DOS window, but it might work. Insert a disk in drive A:, Open a DOS window, and type <i>format a: /s</i>

This should put all the important system files on the disk.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I just tried it on a WinMe machine and it gave me a message that said something like:

<i>Windows sucks so it no longer supports the /s extension. All you can do is make a crappy windows boot disk that doesn't do what you want it to. Have a nice day</i>.

I guess you have to use a Win98 machine to create the disk or manually copy the files.

Bruce_W_Schmidt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
See if this helps? Go with WinMe startup disk, restart system; before windows starts hit SHIFT+F5 Windows is bypassing your startup files. A second or so later A:/; This should take you were you want to go! If not I will check back tommorrow. Bruce©