Connecting 2 computers issue?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

If I were to set up a network involving 3 computers, from what I understand
I would have to install networking software, let's say simply NetBEUI, to
manage the interaction/communication of the computers. However from a
friend, and two articles on the net it seems that to connect 2 computers
directly I only need a cross-over cable (via ethernet)?

[The reaon for doing it this way is because I don't have a
hub/switch/router, etc. and only want to use it for an older multiplayer
game that doesn't utilize IP over the net but will only work via a LAN.]

I will assume that the gaming software handles the communication between
the ethernet cards and so there is no need for a "real" or "true" network
such
that I could view his computer in Network Neighbourhood? if I am correct
here however, it still begs the question of why this cannot be done with 3
or more computers or then again, is it possible?...have I been given
incorrect info. regarding 3 computers?

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:12:25 -0330, "JSPN" <na@na.com> wrote:

>If I were to set up a network involving 3 computers, from what I understand
>I would have to install networking software, let's say simply NetBEUI, to
>manage the interaction/communication of the computers. However from a
>friend, and two articles on the net it seems that to connect 2 computers
>directly I only need a cross-over cable (via ethernet)?
>
>[The reaon for doing it this way is because I don't have a
>hub/switch/router, etc. and only want to use it for an older multiplayer
>game that doesn't utilize IP over the net but will only work via a LAN.]
>
>I will assume that the gaming software handles the communication between
>the ethernet cards and so there is no need for a "real" or "true" network
>such
>that I could view his computer in Network Neighbourhood? if I am correct
>here however, it still begs the question of why this cannot be done with 3
>or more computers or then again, is it possible?...have I been given
>incorrect info. regarding 3 computers?

To answer your question about connecting 3 computers with a crossover
cable, yes, you could do this but it would require two NICs per
computer (if memory serves) and a bunch more cable than you really
need to keep up with, which makes it more expensive than a Switch/Hub.
Just spring for the Switch for under $50 bucks on Pricewatch.com and
connect up to 8 or so if you like.

As far as NETBUI goes, MS no longer supports it, but, you can install
it off the Windows XP disk. They recommend that you use IPX/SPX
instead and I usually enable TCP/IP also if it doesn't do this by
default. On XP you run the "Network Setup Wizard" and viola, it's
done. If you have an older Windowz OS you can use the XP CD to
configure the network on those also.

Good Luck,

TrOll