Can't Access Network Shares

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I have five computers on a local network. Four of them are using Windows 7 on the Homegroup, and one is using Windows XP on the workgroup.
I don't have any issues accessing any network shares from most of the systems. However, my laptop has two accounts; they are both admin accounts. The primary account can access the network fine, but the second account (if I am logged in under that user) cannot access network shares. I can access the laptop from my PC, but not the other way around, and it only happens when I am logged in under that user. They are both using Windows 7 and on the Homegroup.
I thought I had everything set correctly, but I can't seem to get that user to have access.
Anybody have any idea what I might be missing? Thanks!

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I have them set to not require a username and password, and there is only one connection, while the limit is set to 25 or something.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? It's driving me nuts, and I've tried everything. I have never had this problem before.
Every computer can access all others, and my PC can even access the laptop for both accounts. But if I use my second administrator account on the laptop, I can't access my PC shares. I can see it; just can't open it. All network settings are identical. I even tried using a wired connection, in case the router was somehow causing trouble.
What could cause one single account on a computer to be unable to access a share? The connection limit is not a problem, password protected sharing is off, file sharing is on, network discovery is on, and the file is set to have full read/write permission to everyone.
What am I missing?

Getting any error messages? Just the regular username/password is not valid? Can you try to do a mapping to that share as another user? If that also fails, you need to look at some program that runs as this user with the issue that does not run as the other user. Maybe firewall settings.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it gives me a good old standard "Windows cannot access \\Name-PC\Folder" error.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
So can you access any of the shares? from the laptop? I know by default there should be a public folder that everyone should be able to access.

I think that secondary account doesn't have access to the share you are trying to access. That secondary account maybe an admin on your laptop but on your PC that account doesn't exist and there for doesn't have access. I would think that the home group would have taken care about this but I guess it doesn't or failed to do so. You could try to take the laptop out of the home group then put it back in. They may setup the permission correctly.
I would look around the permission and see if there is away to give that account access
I don't know how the home groups work when you have multiple accounts on one computer, but if it was a normal windows share windows 7 calls it Advanced Sharing. I would try to create a secondary account with the same name and password as your laptop's secondary account on your PC. And make sure that account has access to the share. Right click on the folder you want shared and click sharing then add that account name in the share.
I don't know if this is the best way to handle it with home groups, but I think is should work.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
The folder is shared with everyone. I can access it with any other computer, and with the other account on that computer. However, that account cannot access anything but the Public folders.
I do not have password-protected sharing on, so the accounts don't need to be the same. I can access it on other systems that don't have such an account. The Homegroup share should give it access, and it's set to have full read/write permissions for everyone.
I have done everything I could possibly think of. All options that I know of are set correctly.
My PC only has one account, and I don't want more.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Not sure if the network type gets copied over between accounts, as I only have one on this pc, but make sure it's set to Home Network in network and sharing centre?
Make sure in adv sharing options network discovery and file/printer sharing are on.

If you've got the permissions set up correctly ... I have no idea what would be causing that :|

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's driving me nuts. And it is set to Home Network.
I have a lot of experience with networking, and I have never had this happen. I'll try dropping the Homegroup and rejoining. I'm not sure what else it could possibly be. Very strange.

netadeb

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having a similar conundrum, but my network setup is a little different:

100ish computers with XP/Vista/7 connecting to domain
1 XP computer can't see network shares or Exchange server in just one user account
Can ping file server and Exchange server names, so ruled out DNS issue
Can access same user's mailbox using another Windows domain account on the same computer
The same user's account can access network shares and Exchange on an identical computer elsewhere
Have tried renaming profile in Documents and Settings so logging in creates a new one, but in vain
Computer account is local administrator already

Any ideas?

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

I have come to the conclusion that it is my router. I seem to have issues only with wireless devices, and sometimes network resources will suddenly become available. I tried to print something from my laptop one day, and it suddenly connected and printed three days later! I'm pretty sure if I upgrade this router, the issue will disappear.

netadeb

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I was able to solve mine yesterday by not only renaming the profile, but also deleting the registry key that points the profile to that folder. I found it here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\_______

(found here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm)

I scrolled through the profiles to find which one had a key pointing to this user's folder, then deleted that folder of keys (after exporting it first, of course!). I then restarted the computer and logged in as that user. I now no longer have issues connecting to shares or Exchange.

But thank you for responding! I guess after enough trial and error for almost 2 weeks you can fix almost anything! :)

Illinijag

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Caldrumr, I have searched the internet for two days and found your problem to be closer to the one I have with my Vista Laptop computer. A few days ago it was a hit and miss when I selected a file on the network, now it is 100% "Username and password" request; Nothing I enter suffices. I have gone from wireless to wired with the same results. I have restored my system to two earlier dates, still that same problem. I even restored an image of my hard drive from 5 months ago with no luck. This is not just a file sharing/computer to computer access problem, I am not able to access anything on my NAS (Network Attached Storage Device) either. Please let me know if and/or how you resolved your problem. I know it has been over two years since your last post and I know such may not be fresh in your memory; however, any input is welcomed.

I am leaning toward hardware issues (Router or Laptop)....

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

It was indeed my router. I don't recall ever finding the particular issue, but upgrading from the router/modem combo my cable company gave me to a real router fixed whatever issues I was having with this.

Illinijag

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Thank you.. I am now having problems with other media player on my network (lost connection). I am sure it is the Comcast Technicolor TC8305C router/modem combo.

samh546

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Hello, can anyone help with a similar problem? I have around 12 PCs set up on a network and all can access a shared file also on the same network, however one of the PCs (which did connect previously) will not connect now! I've been tearing my hair out the past few days tryna figure it out! all firewall is disabled at the minute it just wont connect where all the others will!

JDCarnegie

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
I started to have this problem this week. I have a domain controller and a mixture of win 7 and win 8 clients. This morning, none of the clients could see any of the shares (mostly located on a win 8.1 system). When I remapped the shares I got the message that: 'An extended error has occurred.' I created a share on the domain controller (not recommended) I could see it from both win 7 and win 8 systems. However, no other share works.

Thanks!