Sign in with
Your question

Cheap & Good Graphic Card for a super powerful PC ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2012 9:02:07 AM

Hi forum,

I am trying to build a new super powerful PC:

- Motherboard: ASUS P9X79PRO
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
- SSD: Intel 520 Series 180/240 GB
- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I don't play games at all and I don't edit video clips or do any graphics processing at all.

So, I really don't want to spend much money on the Graphic Card.

I have seen zillions of Cheap Graphic Cards on Amazon and newegg and the like, and that makes me very confused.

Therefore, Could you please help me out by suggesting to me a Cheap, Very Basic, and Good Graphic Card that will be compatible with my PC's specifications?

I would greatly and sincerely appreciate your help !
a c 102 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 9:19:37 AM

there are two options you have here...you could go with a very basic video card to complete this system (we would need a price range that you are willing to spend to suggest a card)

or the second option you could essentially "down grade" your cpu to a socket 1155 Core i7 3770k CPU and an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard...this gives you very similar functionality to the system you had picked out with a few differences...2 less cores on the cpu (not really a con depending on what you are looking to do with the computer) but then it adds the ability to use built in intel hd 4000 graphics...this way you do not have to buy a separate video card you could just hook your monitor up to your motherboard. This route would save you all kinds of money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am curious why you are building such a powerful pc if you do not game or do any kind of graphics related tasks. What are your plans for this computer?
August 30, 2012 9:32:25 AM

Thank you so much drums101 for your prompt response.

I appreciate your suggestion. But I will tell you why I am building this system.

I am working with Virtual machines, SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 which eat SO MUCH RAM and need REALLY super powerful CPU.

I like ASUS P9X79PRO because of two major factors, and they are as follows:

1) Maximum Memory: 64 ​GB.
2) 8-DIMM Design. I need this feature so bad because soon I will upgrade my RAM to 64 GB.

I hate about ASUS P9X79PRO that it doesn't have Onboard video chipset.

I have seen some Intel Motherboard that support up to 64 ​GB and has Onboard video chipset, But the problem is that they all are 4-DIMM Design, and frankly I couldn't find 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM DDR3 1600.

You see drums101 ...

In case you have other ideas, Please share them with me.

I would greatly and sincerely appreciate your thoughts and suggestions !
Related resources
a c 102 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 9:37:36 AM

fair enough if you need 64gb of ram then you gotta stick with the x79 chipset. what is your budget for gpu?
August 30, 2012 9:46:52 AM

The cheapest is the better choice for me.

As I explained I really don't care about the graphics and I have seen some cards that cost about 50 USD, But I am worry if I got any of those then it might be incomparable or negatively impact the other parts.

To be honest with you, I have a very OLD screen... you remember the huge thick screens, But it is working and displaying things and this is all what I want.

So all I want is just to get the cheapest graphics card that works OK with my motherboard and the CPU without affecting them.

What do you think ?
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 10:13:40 AM

As I remember the GPU will not hinder the performance since u don't using any apps that require powerful grafic or using opencL/CUDA.... and some server had very basic card and shared monitor. (only used when there is a problems / maintenance)

Have considered to go with server platform contrary with pc platform right now..

August 30, 2012 10:25:56 AM

@stickg1
I appreciate your input. I have used ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB in my Lenovo laptop and I hate so much.

I am willing to pay up 75 USD, what do you think about G-Force ? Do you recommend any basic card from G-Force and that is compatible with my hardware?

@rdc85
You said: "Have considered to go with server platform contrary with pc platform right now.."

Could you please elaborate more for me?

My knowledge in hardware is almost zero and I love if you explain to me more about the server platform. How to get that?

How I personally define a server?
A server is just a PC, but the parts inside are extremely super powerful.

But I still didn't get you point. So, Please explain to me.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 10:41:50 AM

sameronline said:
@stickg1
I appreciate your input. I have used ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB in my Lenovo laptop and I hate so much.

I am willing to pay up 75 USD, what do you think about G-Force ? Do you recommend any basic card from G-Force and that is compatible with my hardware?

I dont recommend nvidia's at the sub $200 price point because they are outperformed and overpriced compared to AMD. If you're getting less than a GTX560ti then you need to be considering an AMD/ATI unless you want to overpay. The GT 430 would be acceptable a guess. Still overpriced for the performance.
August 30, 2012 10:51:12 AM

@stickg1

Thank you. The card you suggested is 42 USD which is a very good price for me, and probably I will go with it.

1 Question though, I have seen many ASUS graphics cards which are between (40-75 USD), and as I written above that I will be using ASUS motherboard. So do you think it is wise to get a cheap ASUS graphics card because they will be more compatible together or it doesn't matter ?
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 11:09:23 AM

Does not matter, any PCI express GPU will be compatible
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 11:24:58 AM

it will kinda hard to explain (sin i'm not a good teacher hehe :D )

well basically u buy mobo with multi processor (dual is the cheapest) and pair it with xenon/athlon...
Install windows server and the apps u needed. each will had their own set of memory/resource.. (gpu is somewhat not needed)

u will get much powerful build in term of processing power but it somewhat expensive to build...

August 30, 2012 11:27:37 AM

@rdc85

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I now understood you :) 

I have another question though:

My goal is to keep my machine healthy and functional. Therefore, I do need your help regarding the Power Supply & Cooling Fan ?

I have seen zillions of cheap and expensive power supplies and cooling fans, and I am very confused about what to pick.

Some people told me to go with 850 Watt and others recommended 430 Watt....

Please recommend me a Good and Cheap Power Supply & Cooling Fan that are suitable for my machine (Within kinda a limit budget)?
August 30, 2012 12:18:43 PM

dont skimp on a cheap PSU. Find a reliable, name brand power supply. There are many 550w to 800w RELIABLE PSUs for $80 - $125.
!