Flash for D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 2, 2005 7:54:52 PM

Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon flashes,
like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?

More about : flash d70

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:54:53 PM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon
flashes,
> like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?

The D70 and Nikon's other new SLRs use a new protocol called i-TTL which is
not compatible with the old TTL metering. i-TTL has several added features,
including wireless networking of multiple groups of flash units, but the
price is that the D70 will not work with the SB24. The only two flash units
that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800. There is no SB300.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:59:40 AM

"bmoag" <apquilts@pacbell.net> writes:

> Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon flashes,
> like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?

If you consider working TTL flash to be an improvement, then yes.

January 3, 2005 4:26:21 AM

C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The D70 and Nikon's other new SLRs use a new protocol called i-TTL which is
> not compatible with the old TTL metering. i-TTL has several added features,
> including wireless networking of multiple groups of flash units, but the
> price is that the D70 will not work with the SB24.

Technically, it's not the price of iTTL; it's due to the fact that regular
old TTL flash metering simply can't work with digital sensors, since it
meters light reflected off the film. So they had to come up with a new
way to do it.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <FaednR2g3eDu7UXcRVn-sQ@wavecable.com>,
"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> writes:

> The only two flash units that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800.

Will these flashes do TTL on my F90X? Will they function in a
plain hot-shoe? Or do I have to carry two sets of flashes now?

Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.com>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:16:49 AM

Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
used it or seen it in use? They claim it compares favorably with the
SB 800 for half the price or less? I see them several places for
around $150 and the SB 800 is well over $300.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:16:24 PM

gbuchana@unixcomputer.net (Gardner) writes:

> In article <FaednR2g3eDu7UXcRVn-sQ@wavecable.com>,
> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > The only two flash units that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800.
> >

> Will these flashes do TTL on my F90X? Will they function in a
> plain hot-shoe? Or do I have to carry two sets of flashes now?

Have you ever read a Nikon flash manual? THe SB-800 one has a
terrifying number of sections dealing with various groups of cameras
and their abilities. I think you'll find it'll work just fine on
anything it can sit on.

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:35:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I always buy things and find out later that my
other choice would have been far superior. In this case, I can't see
how, since the specs are so similar and Sigma seems to have a pretty
good reputation for quality.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 9:59:13 AM

"Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
> used it or seen it in use?

Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has only
two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might claim
to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:24:36 PM

"Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
> used it or seen it in use? They claim it compares favorably with the
> SB 800 for half the price or less? I see them several places for
> around $150 and the SB 800 is well over $300.

I am using the Sigma DG 500 super with the Minolta 7Hi and 7i it works great
with full dedication, a very versatile flashgun. I should think the Nikon
version does the same.

Lenseman
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:21:54 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
> > used it or seen it in use?
>
> Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has only
> two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might
claim
> to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.

Taken from Sigma's web page:

New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon D70
camera.

I think that answers the question. The EF500 DG range was updated in about
August last year for specific use with digital cameras.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:21:55 PM

"Lenseman" <john@willowspix.plus.com> wrote in message

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
> > > used it or seen it in use?
> >
> > Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has
only
> > two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might
> claim
> > to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.
> >

> Taken from Sigma's web page:
>
> New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
> cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon
D70
> camera.
>
> I think that answers the question. The EF500 DG range was updated in about
> August last year for specific use with digital cameras.

Well, that's pretty nifty. I see they also have an i-TTL ring flash, which
Nikon does not even have. Now, is their wireless communication compatible
with Nikon's?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:11:14 PM

C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that's pretty nifty. I see they also have an i-TTL ring flash, which
> Nikon does not even have.

I was seriously thinking about buying that, but then I noticed that the
feature chart says it doesn't support flash exposure compensation, which
would seem to render the whole thing pointless. I wasn't able to figure
out if that actually does mean you can't change the output level at all
in iTTL mode, but it puts me off trying it.

> Now, is their wireless communication compatible with Nikon's?

That's a good question, too.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

"Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message

> I was seriously thinking about buying that, but then I noticed that the
> feature chart says it doesn't support flash exposure compensation, which
> would seem to render the whole thing pointless. I wasn't able to figure
> out if that actually does mean you can't change the output level at all
> in iTTL mode, but it puts me off trying it.

Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

Rita
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:55:47 PM

Rita Ä Berkowitz ~ <ritaberk2O04@aol.com ~> wrote:

> Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
> you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
> light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
> will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
> light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

But for $350, if it doesn't do everything, I might as well just spend a bit
more and get a *real* one. If I have to use manual flash exposure anyway,
I mean, since there's no compensation, then I might as well not live with
the low guide number.

(The power on that would be enough for me though, at least the 90% of the
time I'd be using it with the aperture wide open.)

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

> I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
> using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
a problem for the D70. I was considering this flash myself, but after
weighing the pros and cons I went with a homemade flash bracket for my
SB-800.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=4&produc...

I decided to build a homemade bracket that worked out so well that I lost
interest in the SB-29. Here is a pic of my homemade spring loaded flash
bracket.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Bracket.jpg

I have a secondary cheapy slave fill flash on the left and the SB-800 on the
right. The SB-800 flash is controlled with the SC-29 cable. This works
great when I'm hiking and want to do macro, but is versatile enough that I
can just flip the flash in the upright position for normal shooting.

Rita
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:55:48 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> Rita Ä Berkowitz ~ <ritaberk2O04@aol.com ~> wrote:
>
> > Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
> > you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
> > light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
> > will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
> > light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.
>
> I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
> using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

try calumetphoto.com and search for ring light

up to 3,000 ws capable.

search for ring flash and get a guide of about 45.

both look like fun.

> But for $350, if it doesn't do everything, I might as well just spend a bit
> more and get a *real* one. If I have to use manual flash exposure anyway,
> I mean, since there's no compensation, then I might as well not live with
> the low guide number.
>
> (The power on that would be enough for me though, at least the 90% of the
> time I'd be using it with the aperture wide open.)
>
> --
> Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:06:19 AM

This is what screwed me up on my original post. I was seeing the TTL
model of the Sigma flash for $150, not the iTTL version. From what I
can tell, it's still under $200, but harder to find. I also spotted a
$25 rebate on the Nikon version, so now it gets harder to justify
buying the Sigma when the price difference is down to $75 or so after
rebate. Decisions, decisions.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:26:19 AM

Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk20O4@aol.com> wrote:

> If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
> may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
> a problem for the D70.

It does TTL, not iTTL; TTL doesn't work with digital. Also, it's not a
proper ring, but two lights, one on each side, tapering off on top.

The main reason I found the Sigma one interesting was because of the iTTL
support; if I'm going to always have to set the flash power manually anyway,
then the field opens up a bit (including the ungodly expensive "real" ones),
but I'd rather have iTTL (and only spend consumer-level prices) unless I
were to become a professional again.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk20O4@aol.com> wrote:
> "Jeremy Nixon" <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
>> using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

> If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
> may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
> a problem for the D70.

It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.

Andrew.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:44:47 PM

<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message

> > If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you
that
> > may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it
should be
> > a problem for the D70.
>
> It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
> ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
> at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.

Yep, you guys are right. I missed that little "i" when looking at them.
It's amazing that they are bundling this flash with the D70 medical and
dental kits. I guess I'll stick with my SB-800 and bracket.

Rita
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:25:40 PM

<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:

> It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
> ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
> at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.

I sent them a note about it via their web site and got back a dismissive
reply saying they would "forward the suggestion to engineering" or
whatever.

I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
out...

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

> <andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>
> > It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
> > ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
> > at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.
>
> I sent them a note about it via their web site and got back a dismissive
> reply saying they would "forward the suggestion to engineering" or
> whatever.
>
> I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
> on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
> out...

Well, you get right down to it, TTL metering is not the most essential
capability of a ring flash. Lighting for close-up photography is so
dependent on exposing for such a small area of the frame so much of the time
that most of it is probably done manually anyway.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:42:12 AM

C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, you get right down to it, TTL metering is not the most essential
> capability of a ring flash.

No, I suppose not, but given the choice, it would be nice to have.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> <andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote:
>
> I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
> on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
> out...

Vivitar have low cost ring flash for various model cameras. They don't
appear to have a digital specific model yet.

ED ringlights are another alternative. Color is not full spectrum,
however.
http://www.dentalfotografie.info/sara-led-info-english....

January 7, 2005 1:06:01 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
..

> I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
> on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
> out...

Vivitar have low cost ring flash for various model cameras. They don't
appear to have a digital specific model yet.

ED ringlights are another alternative. Color is not full spectrum,
however.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

January 29, 2005 5:50:56 AM

Well, I bought the Sigma. I just got it yesterday and only did a
couple test shots, but it works great! I did a closeup of my wife
within the range of the built in pop up and exposure was perfect.
Then, I had her go about thirty feet away with a hallway behind her.
Not only was she perfectly exposed, but the hall behind was lit up as
well. Quite a difference from my old Vivitar that I used on my FG. It
was stretching at about twenty feet. This one looks as if it will go
sixty or better. I'm impressed and I got a good buy on EBay as well.
Got it for under $160 with delivery and insurance included. Now all I
need to improve is me. ;o)
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:09:13 PM

On 29 Jan 2005 02:50:56 -0800, "Kitt" <kittochtinny@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Well, I bought the Sigma. I just got it yesterday and only did a
>couple test shots, but it works great!
What model? I'm currently using my SB23, which I used before with my film SLR.
Trouble is, it only works in manual mode, and I have to adjust the exposure with
the aperture. No automatic method at all available.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:16:18 PM

It's the Sigma EF-500 DG ST NA i-TTL EF500. Make sure you note the
"i-TTL" since they have two models. One is only TTL and not i-TTL and
is usually less money. I found the right one on EBay for $129.99 buy
it now price, but there was $30. shipping & insurance. Still, at $160
total, it was cheaper than I found it anywhere else. According to the
Sigma sales pitch, it's the equivalent of the Nikon SB800 which sells
for over $300. Even with the Nikon rebate (if it's still available),
the Nikon is still about $150. more shipped. Here's the Sigma:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_detai...
Here's the Nikon:

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/SB800.pdf
!