New build pc- windows xp 32 bit oem then windows 7 upgrade disc

Mnhancock3

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hello! I just built my first PC. Back on Black Friday, I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium 'Upgrade' Family Pack (3x) disc (retail). I am passing my old PC to my daughter and figured I would upgrade it to Windows 7. I also have a laptop I will upgrade to W7. And my 'newb' plan was to use my 3rd license on my brand new PC I am building (now complete!!!).

Well, I quickly learned that I can't just throw in the 'Upgrade W7' disc in my brand new computer. Ugh! I should have known! So, I have begun to price just getting an OEM license for W7 for my new PC. After comparing prices, since I already have a W7 legit upgrade software, I thought to myself that I should just purchase a Windows XP (oem) copy, install that, then use my 3rd license from my Family Pack W7 to complete everything. This would save me about $30 or so since I found a Windows XP (oem) for $70.

Will this work?!? I am just trying to maximize what I have and I really would hate having a wasted 3rd W7 license from my Family Pack upgrade disc just to purchase a OEM W7 disc to install fresh on my new PC.

Does this make sense, lol?!?

Solution
Until recently, I thought so but found out that the Win7 upgrade disk don't work that way. Legally, a cheap XP OEM disk/license is probably your cheapest option, assuming you can find XP on the cheap somewhere. Any older version of Windows does not meet the license requirement.

The upgrade packages look for an authorized installation of an existing Windows operating system on the hard drive to upgrade from. So you are correct. Brings up a question - Would an old Win98 (if you have one) also work ?

Don't think you can upgrade Win 98 to Win 7. I know that an XP upgrade disk could be used on a blank HDD, it just asked you to put a Win 98 disk into the drive during setup, then continued with a fresh install. Perhaps this would work for XP to Win 7?

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Until recently, I thought so but found out that the Win7 upgrade disk don't work that way. Legally, a cheap XP OEM disk/license is probably your cheapest option, assuming you can find XP on the cheap somewhere. Any older version of Windows does not meet the license requirement.

Solution

Sewalk: Thanks for the clarification.

Mnhancock3

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Nice. Thanks for the reply along with 'ksiemb'. I was fortunate to get a brand new copy of w7 Ultimate that my brother had picked up from a friend whose sister worked for Microsoft for $50 bucks! All i had to do was trade him one of my prized Xbox 360 official steering wheels. I will now sell my w7 upgrade family pack & come out well for my first build.

Peace!

Mnhancock3

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thanks for the reply!

TRENDING THREADS