Upgrading old graphics card - need suggestions

Hi guys,

I haven't upgraded my computer in like 4/5 years and I have no other choice now - I am under the impression my graphics card has died since my monitor will no longer display an image.
When I turn my PC on, the monitor switches from analog to digital, back to analog and back to digital until it finds a video source and when it doesn't, the light flashes blue and no image is displayed (like the monitor is in sleep mode or something) so my wild guess has lead me to replace my graphics card.

Question is, I don't know what is considered good, great, or amazing anymore.

I am a frequent gamer (games like call of duty, counter-strike global offensive, etc.) and need a card that can support these games at good frames (not SLi).

current build:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
RAM: 2x 2GB GeiL RAM @ 800MHz (4gb)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512mb
PSU: 600W generic
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

I want to replace this card. Please bare in mind I am on a pretty tight budget.. so price saving is something I am definitely interested in.

Can anyone please lend me their superior knowledge of the graphic card market and tell me what card will be compatible with my motherboard and perform better than the 8800gt I've had for so many years?
If possible please list a few so I can choose based on price/performance.

I'd like to point out also that with this PC, I've managed to keep settings on medium in all my games and achieve between 100-200 solid frames.

Thanks all :)
33 answers Last reply
More about upgrading graphics card suggestions
  1. This one will be definitely upgrade : )

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11199-00-20G)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102981
  2. Whats the budget?
  3. My budget is $50-$150 for the card.
    I don't think PCI-E 3.0 will work on my P35-DS3L.

I'm very hardware-illiterate, so any help you have with compatibility is definitely appreciated.
  4. PCI-E 3.0 will work fine : ))
  5. EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Includes Adobe PS elements 10 w/ EVGA registration

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130664
  6. Will that card work 100% with my motherboard?

http://www.ddcomputer.com.au/prod-GXY-GT630-1GBD3-proddes_Galaxy_GF_GT_630_PCI-E_2.0_1GB_128-bit_GDDR3_Graphic_Card.html

Do you rate this card? Is it better than my 8800GT 512mb?
  7. This one ^ will do it alright too : )
  8. Yes it will work.

U have PCI Express x16, its compatible : )
  9. The Radeon HD 7750 is the fastest graphics card you can get right now that doesn't require an auxiliary power input; it draws all that it needs from a 16-lane PCIe slot. Considering upgrading an older machine with a generic power supply capacity, that's a great card you should consider and my recommendation. SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11202-05-20G) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102985#top
  10. nikorr said:
    lol well i am scared to recommend him a card like a 560 ti because his PSU was my reasoning do you think i am being over worried?
  11. bigcyco1 said:
    lol well i am scared to recommend him a card like a 560 ti because his PSU was my reasoning do you think i am being over worried?

Yeah, but that card is more than he wants to pay : )

560ti would be great for him though.

Or 550ti, but there it could be HD 7770 as well.
  12. So pretty much I can either

A) Get a new 8800GT

B) Get a 8800GTX 1GB

C) Get a Radeon HD7750

?
  13. Get this one. It will give u the upgrade feel. Best price for the 560ti.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_876&products_id=20959
  14. nikorr said:
    Yeah, but that card is more than he wants to pay : )

560ti would be great for him though.

Or 550ti, but there it could be HD 7770 as well.
    lol indeed it is my bad well i think 7750 or 7770 maybe even a GeForce GTX 460 if we can find one within his budget because
    Advertised GeForce GTX 460 TDP = 150W (768MB) 160W (1024MB)
    System in IDLE = 178W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 307W
    Difference (GPU load) = 129 W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 154 Watts
  15. Siding towards the 560.

Are you 110% sure it will fit on my p35-ds3l? i dont want to buy it to be told it wont fit in the pci-e slot...
  16. I am not sure of your psu is all
  17. markoos7 said:
    Siding towards the 560.

Are you 110% sure it will fit on my p35-ds3l? i dont want to buy it to be told it wont fit in the pci-e slot...

YUour PSU is ? Model needed....

18. 560 needs 2x 6-pin and around 460Wats PSU..
  19. My PSU is Corsair. Not sure on the name of the actual product, however I'm fairly confident it is 600W.
  20. Great, do u have 2 cables that will go in the 2 - 6 pin ?

Corsair is great. If u look in the case, u will see sticker on the PSU and the model name.
  21. And the label could be like this one. BTW, how old is the PSU?
  22. I only recently replaced my old PSU with this one, so it has been hardly used.
    I'm not sure on the model type of the PSU.. the brand is Corsair though :)

I don't know about pins or anything like that, all i have is the product names of the basic hardware inside the case... not sure on pins or cables haha.

Isn't there a way to just instantly know if it is compatible with my motherboard or not based on my motherboards product name?
  23. ^ Corsair isn't generic =/
  24. I only said generic because I was unsure of the model number.
    Regardless, I just want to know what card between $50-$150 is going to be compatible with my motherboard and perform equally if not better than my 8800GT.
  25. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Your mobo is PCI-E 1.0 so avoid any PCI-E 2.1 or PCI-E 3.0 card, which mostly means nvidia 600-series or AMD 6000/7000-series. Physically any card will fit in your slot but the BIOS won't like the newer cards. Unless you know FOR SURE that there is a BIOS update that allows these later cards (you could ask on the Gigabyte forums - I obtained a Beta BIOS that allowed me to run a PCI-E 2.1 card on a 1.0 mobo).

You are probably best looking for a GTS450 (if available) or a 550Ti or 560. A 560Ti is probably a bit too expensive.

A new-ish 600-watt PSU will be fine for all. And I'm sure a Corsair PSU will have sufficient PCI-E power connectors.
  26. Doesn't work like that most here on TH are not going to tell you a card to get without knowing your psu info that is very important and anybody here that isn't a noob wouldn't want to suggest you or recommend you a card just because we like to help people the right way not help them make a irresponsible choice that could maybe kill their rig
  27. Not gonna bother downloading a bios update for a graphics card, I'm just gonna buy what will slot in and work off the bat.
    Is my best option a 550 Ti or GTS450?
  28. 550ti would be my choice : )
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics Product