Upgrading old graphics card - need suggestions

markoos7

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi guys,

I haven't upgraded my computer in like 4/5 years and I have no other choice now - I am under the impression my graphics card has died since my monitor will no longer display an image.
When I turn my PC on, the monitor switches from analog to digital, back to analog and back to digital until it finds a video source and when it doesn't, the light flashes blue and no image is displayed (like the monitor is in sleep mode or something) so my wild guess has lead me to replace my graphics card.

Question is, I don't know what is considered good, great, or amazing anymore.

I am a frequent gamer (games like call of duty, counter-strike global offensive, etc.) and need a card that can support these games at good frames (not SLi).

current build:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
RAM: 2x 2GB GeiL RAM @ 800MHz (4gb)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512mb
PSU: 600W generic
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

I want to replace this card. Please bare in mind I am on a pretty tight budget.. so price saving is something I am definitely interested in.

Can anyone please lend me their superior knowledge of the graphic card market and tell me what card will be compatible with my motherboard and perform better than the 8800gt I've had for so many years?
If possible please list a few so I can choose based on price/performance.

I'd like to point out also that with this PC, I've managed to keep settings on medium in all my games and achieve between 100-200 solid frames.

Thanks all :)

markoos7

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
My budget is $50-$150 for the card.
I don't think PCI-E 3.0 will work on my P35-DS3L.

I'm very hardware-illiterate, so any help you have with compatibility is definitely appreciated.

The Radeon HD 7750 is the fastest graphics card you can get right now that doesn't require an auxiliary power input; it draws all that it needs from a 16-lane PCIe slot. Considering upgrading an older machine with a generic power supply capacity, that's a great card you should consider and my recommendation. SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11202-05-20G) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102985#top

lol well i am scared to recommend him a card like a 560 ti because his PSU was my reasoning do you think i am being over worried?

Yeah, but that card is more than he wants to pay : )

560ti would be great for him though.

Or 550ti, but there it could be HD 7770 as well.

lol indeed it is my bad well i think 7750 or 7770 maybe even a GeForce GTX 460 if we can find one within his budget because
Advertised GeForce GTX 460 TDP = 150W (768MB) 160W (1024MB)
System in IDLE = 178W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 307W
Difference (GPU load) = 129 W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 154 Watts

YUour PSU is ? Model needed....

ZT-50901-10M-spx.jpg