Core 2 duo stutter in games !

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
my core 2 duo e 4300 @1.8 ghz making games very un playable and stutter and 1 -2 sec pause , at fst i thought its because of GPU which was HD 5450 and recently upgraded to gtx 650 ti and still same result . please help, any help would be appreciated !

Solution

More ram would help, but your CPU temp is your biggest problem. Your thermal throttling @ that point. Make sure your heatsink is properly seated and not clogged full of dust and the fan is working properly. If all seems fine, you may need to buy some thermal compound...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What games is it stuttering in and at what resolution? Game have gotten more graphically demanding, and the dual core is bottle necking the GPU. If you O/C your dual core, it will help a little, but you may need to think about an upgrade. And you'll never get the 1.8GHZ dual core up to a stable 3.0GHZ no matter what kind of cooler you put on it.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

no one told you to get liquid cooling. You can buy an air cooler.

If you can't overclock it then you might have to get a new cpu (probably new mobo too). Core 2 Duo is old and cant support some modern games.

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

my motherboard is D945GCCR (old) so can I overclock my Processor by any software ? If I need an upgrade do you think I should wait for Haswell ?

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012

Not good advise buddy! i've done it on my first build. it can not only pass 3.0Ghz but more then that too

logainofhades

Titan
Depends on the games you are trying to play. Core 2 based chips are quite dated and don't do well with recent titles. I suggest if you have a Microcenter nearby, go and buy an FX 6300, the 880g M-ATX board, (Unless your case supports ATX boards, then go with one of those) and 8gb of ddr3 1600. Speaking of which, how much ram does your current system have now?

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
currently running 2 GB ddr 2 mem ram & i have noticed that while gaming the cpu temp go to 100C :(

logainofhades

Titan

More ram would help, but your CPU temp is your biggest problem. Your thermal throttling @ that point. Make sure your heatsink is properly seated and not clogged full of dust and the fan is working properly. If all seems fine, you may need to buy some thermal compound for the heatsink and reapply it.

Solution

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
You have got two options!

1. Buy a new mobo, 8 GB RAM stick, CPU cooler and overclock the processor aggressively

Pros:-
=> Bottleneck issue will be solved for some extend
=> PC will be noticeably faster then before
=> You'll be spending less amount of money

Cons :-
=> Outdated processor will draw more power
=> Playing Games requiring a quad core processor would be awful
=> Limited usage will make you feel guilty for your choice

2. Buy a new i5 3570K , AS rock Pro 4 Z77 mobo , 8GB DDR3 RAM

Pros:-
=> Faster CPU
=> Bottleneck issue completely solved
=> 3rd generation CPU that consumes less power
=> Easily overclock-able
=> You will never feel guilty for your choice
=> Blah Blah Blah
=> Blah Bhah
=> .......

Cons:-
=> Need to spend more money comparatively.

Its up to you to choose!

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
yep the heat sink is complete dust free but the thermal compound has dried up coz I am using this CPU from 7 years :D

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

well you solved the Problem but well I was thinking of an upgrade to new processor so should I wait for Haswell ?

sam1911

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I see it will be better off waiting for Haswell ,2-3 months of wait will do :)

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012

Yup! sounds like a good choice to me