Can anyone tell me why my PC runs BF3 badly?

Wad178

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello,

Just wondering whether anyone can look at these specs and tell me whether it PC isn't good enough or I have another problem. Seen on forums people saying the Q6600 still works for them even on high and I thought the GTX 460 is alright. Any help appreciated.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 7.1
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.1
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.5
Gaming graphics 2815 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 228GB Free (298GB Total) 5.9
Windows 8 Pro

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
Model MS-7512
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 488 GB
Disk partition (C:) 228 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 157 GB Free (190 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Total available graphics memory 2815 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.1407
Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
DirectX version DirectX 11 or better

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
What are the framerates you're getting?
Is medium a struggle? Is high with AA and VSYNC off still a struggle? Detail settings?

And most importantly, are you only doing single player, or are you going in for multiplaying sessions?
It looks as if your cpu can be the clogger here.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I play bf3 on 1440*900 on medium settings with AA at x1. I average 50fps.

My rig:
q9550 at 3.2ghz
8gb
460 gtx 1gb

Any higher, you'll lag as I lag at times on a 64 man server. BF3 is a GPU based game but multiplayer requires a quad core. If someone is telling you they play the game on High with a rig like yours, they are either lying or on a super low resolution.

Wad178

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Ok so I put my settings to the same as barto and it ran OK but fps was still jumping between 25-35 averaging somewhere in between. But I figure with the specs it should be able to handle medium better than 25fps?? I am playing online to answer a previous question. The reason I am asking is I would rather not upgrade my PC as I don't want to spend any dollar so was wondering whether there were any cheap effective fixes? overclocking would make a difference? If there is no quick fix I would consider buying more parts and have been looking at the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz. But am wondering how significant a boost this would be and whether there are better options?
Any input greatly appreciated.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I think you are at a point like I am where a new build is required. Even if you get a new processor, the 460 won't get you too far past medium settings.

You can try to overclock your CPU. I did help me. The only other thing you can do is lower resolution or lower settings down to low.

TRENDING THREADS