BIOS Doesn't Detect HDD

jeff6806

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Just finished building my computer and everything seems to be running fine and is detected by the motherboard except the HDD. I've tried changing the SATA power connector through all available options running from the PSU and nothing helps. The same SATA power connectors provide power to my optical drive which works fine. I've also switched the SATA6 cable to all possible SATA6 and SATA3 positions on the motherboard.

I'm running an Asus P8Z77-V LK and Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM.

Is there anything I can do through the BIOS to determine if the drive is definitely DOA?

jeff6806

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

So instead of clearing CMOS and switching it back to default, I should run it with the jumper on?

ACHI is selected by default. I switched to IDE but it didn't detect the drive.

UEFI BIOS ?............... that's the way they are. set up for SSD's. running a SATA drive you need to set that up in the BIOS. and I only messed with 1 and think there was more than one setting I needed to change but don't recall what they all were. don't really want to start a machine just to look at it.

try scanning the BIOS for the necessary changes to get the drive to run. you can leave jumper off. see if you can get it going.

jeff6806

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I tried disabling UEFI and Legacy for the boot but neither helped recognize the drive.

jeff6806

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

The BIOS only shows the DVD drive. It does not show HDD anywhere. I went through all options on the advanced BIOS and there was no storage config option. SATA config only shows the DVD drive. No options for formatting.

jeff6806

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

No, unfortunately this is the first desktop I've had in years and I sold my old one. Thanks for your help but I'm just going to RMA it.

comikboke

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
my biostar n6853b motherboard doesn't detect my 500gb sata hdd ,but what's wierd ,the drive already has the OS (Win 7 ultimate)installed in it. when pc powered on, it go to infomation stating reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.i almost forgot a hdd for a desktop pc

siva_scorpio

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hi, I got a new system (M/B Gigabyte 880GSM-USB3 & Processor : Phenom II X6). Got a good 500 GB Hard-disk along with a DVD-ROM (both SATA). Tried all methods with 2 SMPS and M/B connections - at any point of time, only of the device shows up in BIOS. Googling never gave any answer and it went on for almost a year and the new system was almost ready for shifting to attic. With the price of HDDs sky-rocketting, couldn't buy another hard-disk to experiment. I'd another 2 older systems and almost 5 working IDE Disks but the 2 IDE-SATA convertors I got never worked and trying to detect one them never got any success.

Ultimately tweaking the BIOS, I disabled AHCI and EFI boot. Presto - both the devices showed up and I could install Windows from DVD onto disk. Now I feel that AHCI mode couldn't be the real problem - it was the stupid EFI boot. Why is it given as such by OEM - no idea - for people to never wire-up systems or what?

In your case above, try to connect the HDD thro' a USB connection to a running PC, whether the HDD is OK or not. Then in BIOS try changing from AHCI to IDE and disabling EFI.