What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
12 answers Last reply
More about what stand nikon lenses
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >
    > Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.

    IF=Internal Focus, not all lenses are IF. IF lenses barrells don't rotate
    nor do the lenses get longer as you focus closer.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

    >What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >
    >Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.

    Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    another story).

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Michael Benveniste wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
    >
    >>What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    >>Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    >

    > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > another story).

    Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?

    I got a Nikon AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED but when I google that all I see
    is the same thing with IF added. I didn't get a lense hood is the only
    difference I noticed. The lense does not rotate when I focus, did they
    just forget to print IF on it?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    paul wrote:

    > Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?

    Non-rotating front elements make it much easier to use such filters as
    polarizers and rectangular split NDs.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    On 2005-01-02, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    "Internal focus for fast AF operation" (first google hit, then clicked
    on an IF lense
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1940).

    /Allan
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    paul <paul@not.net> writes:

    > Michael Benveniste wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    > >>Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    > > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > > another story).
    >

    > Hmm so what difference does this make in the real world?
    >
    > I got a Nikon AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED but when I google that all I
    > see is the same thing with IF added. I didn't get a lense hood is the
    > only difference I noticed. The lense does not rotate when I focus, did
    > they just forget to print IF on it?

    The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.

  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Bruce Murphy wrote:

    > paul <paul@not.net> writes:
    >
    > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.

    It does not change length when focusing, only when zooming.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Bruce Murphy wrote:

    > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.

    If you use pol-filters or 'Cokin' filter holders, a non rotating front element
    is a blessing, neigh, a neccesity.

  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Michael Benveniste wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:47:30 -0800, paul <paul@not.net> wrote:
    >
    > >What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?
    > >
    > >Mine just says ED but I don't see that described elsewhere.
    >
    > Internal Focus. With IF lenses, the front element does not change
    > position while focusing. (The focal length does change, but that's
    > another story).

    does that mean that the lens does not have to pump air in and out
    as it is zoomed and focused?

    > --
    > Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
    > Spam and UCE professionally evaluated for $419. Use this email
    > address only to submit mail for evaluation.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> writes:

    > Bruce Murphy wrote:
    >
    > > The non rotating while focussing is a complete red herring. It is
    > > solely about whether the lens assembly changes length.
    >
    > If you use pol-filters or 'Cokin' filter holders, a non rotating front
    > element is a blessing, neigh, a neccesity.

    While this is true, really doesn't have much to do with the IF being
    discussed.

  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
    > What does 'IF' stand for on Nikon lenses?

    It means IF you're lucky you might get a worthwhile picture.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

    > does that mean that the lens does not have to pump air in and out
    > as it is zoomed and focused?

    The lens still has to move air around as it repositions element
    groups. I would guess that IF lenses pump _less_ air in and out,
    but I doubt that they are truly isolated from outside air.

    --
    Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com

SLR Nikon Photo Systems Cameras