Strange problem HD 5770 XFX

Bmx-tra

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all,

As first, I'm sorry for my bad english.

I had a strange problem with my two years old HD 5770 XFX videocard.

A week ago I was on the internet on my computer and put him later in sleep mode.
I leave the computer but some minutes later it attract my attention because the fan of my graphic card were very noisy (high speed).
There was also a strange smell, my first reaction was pull the power off.
Open the computer and saw that the lid of my gpu was dislodged. The screws where disconnected out of the screw-thread.
In the cover of de the fan, sat the heatsink, is was disconected of a copper sheet (lying on the botom of the case).

What could be responsable for for this force that it opened by itself.. No, there were no indications of a explosion.
When I look on the botom of the case i saw a copper plate, it was swollen. Normal (Fan => heatsink => copper plate => thermal paste => processor)

How is that possible.. Is it normal... a safety for high tempratures.. that it swell?
The first thing I thought was a short circuit. But no, after putting another GPU all worked fine.

I never overload the GPU with games or something else. I used it for drawing programs, photoshop,...
Also not overclockt.

In short:
How is it possible that the copper plate swell ?
Would be my GPU broken notwithstanding there is nothing strange to see on it (no fire indications) ?
Is it recommended to install a new cooler and test it (short-circuit) ?

Thank you all !

Bmx-tra

Pictures:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/411/mg0939m.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/mg0942.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/mg0943.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/mg0992f.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/mg0961p.jpg/

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That looks A LOT like the bottom vapour chamber has leaked due to excessive heat.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
That small copper plate is actually a thin wedge containing a working fluid that is similar to the fluid in a modern heat pipe. It changes phase upon heating and convectively transfers heat between the bottom of the plate (touching the GPU) and top of the plate (touching the heatsink). This is much faster than a solid block of any metal, and more even side to side as well. Those are the vapour chamber GPU coolers.

It is very RARE to have them fail, because they are hermetically sealed. The only reason why one might fail is due to excessive heat (even then, it is rare, when considering GPU temperatures), or manufacturing defect.

You should explain this to XFX and have them RMA it for you. This is typically a manufacturing defect.

My best guess is that there was a seal problem on the vapour chamber, so it gradually dried out (or suddenly leaked, via a weakened seal and constant thermal expansion/contraction). Once dried, the temperature of the GPU soared, and under high temperatures, the copper plate warped much like a pan/pot on a hot stove when it is empty.

Bmx-tra

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Thank you for your clear explanation.
I asked on many forums but no one can say me that it is a Vapor Chamber cooler.
My card had two year waranty, but which are now expired.

In my opinion, I didn't something wrong for this problem. It must be a manufacturing defect.
Later this day, I will mail the shop and explain my problem and hopefully they can help me..
One stupid mistake.. because it was so a strange problem, I must/wants to know what was inside the copper plate.
I cut it open and saw a screen, also now i can realize me that there was no liquid inside.

I'll keep you informed !

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Double check your warranty. XFX used to offer life time warranties.

I'm certain you did not do anything even remotely wrong. This type of failure is totally not determined by the user in any type of usage scenario, including severe overclocking.

Also, the GPU itself might be still good. You just need another cooler on it, like an Arctic Cooling cooler, for example. HOWEVER, check to make sure you have no warranty left on it first, otherwise it is good money spent poorly.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The card's vapour chamber (there are no heatpipes) bulged due to a leak and subsequent warp. The bulging action forcefully separated the heatsink into a few component pieces and broke the screw threads. None of this was the willful doing of the OP.

I have NEVER seem those parts separate. In fact it would take quite some force(since those parts are made to take the force of the actual mounting).

XFX was very good to me and actually send me a full 5770 cooler because my fan was defective. I sure hope it will be the same for you.

I did not remember memory heat sinks of my 5770(most be some).

Bmx-tra

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Today I mailed to my shop and not much later I had a reaction.
They will explain my problem to the supplier/manufacturer to find out what is possible...
As soon as possible, they give me an answer.

I'll keep you informed.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Great. I wait to hear the news.

Bmx-tra

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Last week XFX asked me different questions, but it is not enough, they want to see the product.
At the moment, I send the product to my shop, they send it to XFX.

We will see...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That's good to hear.

Bmx-tra

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all,

A long time ago I opened this topic :)
I had send my XFX HD 5770 back to my shop, they send it further to their supplier.
Now after many mails, they answer me that their supplier said them to give me a new one.
They will give (advise) me the Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition.
I don’t know if this is a good one compared with my old XFX HD 5770.
I read many reviews but I'm not sure.
I think to do it… Because I am very happy that they will give me a new one.
It has cost me in the end nothing despite being outside warranty.

What would you guys do ?
Is there maybe a beter but cheaper videocard ?

Regards,

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The HD7770 is a much better card. So they determined that it was a defect, likely the same one I pointed out earlier.

I would take the HD7770, it is a lot faster and more power efficient than your current card. I would say that they tried to please you in the end.

TRENDING THREADS