Sign in with
Your question

CHanging Motherboard with Win7 OEM version

Last response: in Windows 7
February 18, 2012 1:29:37 PM

Hi -

I'm going to change to a new Motherboard, leaving all other parts in place. In particular, I'd like to keep using the same Win7 OEM license.

Will the OEM license allow me to do that, or will Microsoft force me to buy a new license?

Some details:
Current MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3,
System was built in Nov 2011
New MoBo: probably Gigabyte
Windows: Win Home Premium 7 SP1 64bit OEM SYstem Builder Pack
February 18, 2012 1:51:22 PM

Should be no problem. I've always used OEM Windows and changed mobo many times. You might have to reactivated Windows. And don't forget to install the drivers for your new mobo.

However I would recommend to do a clean install though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 2:06:14 PM

the windows OEM license is tied to the motherboard. if you change it you are in violation of the license
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 2:26:24 PM

windows activation technology, as microsoft calls it. will fail authentication with a different motherboard. even with retail it will fail. but with retail you can call microsoft and tell them to change what motherboard it can work with. up to 5 times.

oem all you can do is buy it again.
sell your old mobo with the win 7 key. to recoup some of the cost. or just build another system.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 2:39:30 PM

While technically it is true, in theory the licence is tied to the machine, however, a motheboard does not = machine. Microsoft do have to cater for Motherboard failures. So you will have to call up MS - but explain that the original motherboard failed and so had to be replaced and they are duty bound to allow you to reuse the original OEM key.

Be polite but firm... you will be OK.

Cheers
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 4:09:07 PM

electrontau said:
Should be no problem. I've always used OEM Windows and changed mobo many times. You might have to reactivated Windows. And don't forget to install the drivers for your new mobo.

However I would recommend to do a clean install though.

Really? Very interesting, this is indeed a very rare thing, I would hold onto that OEM DVD of Win 7 if I were you because it must be a very special copy.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:08:53 PM

This. Is interesting. Did not know OEM tied to motherboard. Thought that a computers system was the sum of all parts. Parts fail, get replaced.

this was the first time I was thinking of going the OEM to save $$$$.

Current plan was to buy Asus z68 pro/gen, borrow an i 3 chip from a friend, then drop an IVY in over the summer.

do they have the processor tied to the OEM as well?

I thank you all though I shall save up for win 7 full. Rather have that option to Change out motherboards.
built 3 machines on my xp disk.

Should I just wait it out ? Is there a new motherboard coming out with the IVY chips?
m
l
March 1, 2012 1:48:17 AM

I saw there is a z77 board mentioned.
I really hate waiting for stuff, took me five months to earn enough cash to build a new machine.

I used 2 build one every two years.
Then, not sure what happened, over 4 years later. Now have to wait 4 more months. Probably longer, wait for the i5 k level of ivy.

Wish now I spent the extra 120 for a faster chip in 2008.
Oh, and then there is the treat o window8 4 months after that.

STRESS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 4:16:29 AM

Original Link :
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.
m
l
!