Built new PC, restarts under load

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Just built a new PC. First time I ever built a PC from scratch, but I know what I was doing for the most part.

Was testing it out all day, getting windows updates, drivers, and gauging performance of the new Processor. One time I tried rendering a Video in Sony Vegas (High CPU/Ram Usage), and the screen went black, heard a zzt sound, and the computer rebooted.

Turned PC back on, tried rendering again, it worked out perfectly fine.
Played some games for a couple hours. Started playing a PS2 Emulator, again, high cpu usage. After 5-10 minutes of that, Screen went black, zzzt sound, PC Rebooted.
Turn PC back on, try a windows experience index test, black screen, zzzt, PC Rebooted.

It's beginning to happen more and more frequently. I'm somewhat new at building my own PC, and I'm wondering what would be the cause of it. The PSU works fine, I tested it out on someone else's computer which uses a little more power than this one. It looks like it could be the Mobo, Processor, or the Ram.

I tried On-board video too (Radeon HD 3000, and it still happens)

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157323&name=AMD-Motherboards

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

Processor: AMD FX-6200 Black Edition Six-Core 3.8 GHz
(PROCESSOR IDLES AT 15-30C, AND AVERAGES 30-42C UNDER USE, STOCK COOLER)

GPU: 1GB BFG 9800GT (Eco Edition, no external connector, only pulls from PCI-E)

Ram: G Skill F3-12800-CL8-TU-6GBPI (Using 4GB, only 2 DIMS on mobo, tried auto clocks and I also tried manually setting the clocks. Also tried both 1.6v and 1.65v, neither made a difference) (It's 1.6~1.65v ram)

320 GB Seagate Barracuda Sata Drive

Help anyone? What should I return here, or attempt to fix?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

It will work fine until I get some more money. Main reason I got the new Mobo and CPU is because the last CPU was bottlenecking all my games. The old computer was all maxed out and I had to move on and buy a new mobo and processor to go with it.

So far almost every game has been flawless on this one, but I will be upgrading to a 560 Ti or above sooner or later.

Also, GPU runs at 60c max (I always have the fan set to 75%), motherboard is about 40c at all times, and as said above, the CPU idles 15-30C and never goes above 42c even when in a game.

I'm thinking either Faulty Mobo or processor, because a couple Newegg Reviewers have said the board doesn't handle 125W FX's all that well. I sure hope not though, I waited a week to get this stuff <_>

take the heat sink off the processor ( you did lift lever before putting processor in holes ? )............ clean up that and processor, reapply paste to heat sink and reseat on processor.........

make sure cool and quiet is enabled in the BIOS. that makes the fan on the heat sink speed up when the processor gets hotter.

the power pin for that fan is on the correct header ?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Power pin is in the right place.

I used the stock heatsink and fan with pre-applied thermal compound. I just barely got it to snap into place (because it was so hard). The lever on the heatsink is kind of in the off position because there is no possible way It could be tightened anymore than it is. I actually can't even budge the heatsink, and I don't think I could take it off without breaking something... It's REALLY on there.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Oh yeah, I got that, I pulled up the lever, very carefully slid the processor into place, and then pushed the lever down to lock it in.

is cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS ?......... read the booklet that came with the motherboard.

you installed the drivers off the disc also ?

try and get a fan to blow on that little silver heat-sink on the motherboard and on the power circuitry around the processor.

and since you were "adjusting" the voltage, clear the cmos.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Yes I installed any Necessary Disc Drivers, and Cool n' Quiet is enabled.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

I actually have a fan blowing on the larger heatsink on the mobo.

I don't think I could get one to blow on the circuitry around the CPU though.

I'll try clearing CMOS later. I'll wait until I get the reset problem again though just so I'm sure it was still going on.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Got some new info that might answer what's going on here.
I have a feeling this might be forcing a reset because it gets to hot.

I have the CPUID Hardware monitor, tells you temps of most of the components in the computer.

Everything looks fine, but under Motherboard I got this:

TEMPERATURES:

SYSTIN: 32-33C
CPUTIN: 32-37C
AUXTIN: 57-128C (It hit 128C, it seems to idle around 70-110C, I'm not sure what it is)
TMPIN3:40C

You guys know what AUXTIN might be? Looks like something might be overheating on the board after all. Not good though because I can NOT get the Heatsink off the mobo.

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

He said he tried with onboard video and the same problem, so it's not the 8800

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Since the problem only occurs under load, I am thinking heat or power, that auxtin thing is a likely culprit, but power also, possible the PSU can't deliver rated power, and folds under load, or the power management system on the motherboard isn't delivering power properly.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Maybe I'll return the board and get a Gigabyte board I seen for $70.
The USB 3.0 doesn't work on this board either, and it looks like 2 of the 2.0's are only working half the time this morning.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Alright Guys, I underclocked the processor by .1GHz and the FSB from 2200MHz to 2000MHz, I didn't change any voltages though as I don't actually know how that works.

I tried forcing the computer to reset, and I can't get it to (Using Sony Vegas anyways).
I tried previewing a video with effects applied to it, and setting it to Draft(quarter) quality, then I jumped it up to Best(Full) quality, instantly raising the CPU and memory usage to nearly 100%. I let it sit there for 3 minutes, and I got no reboot.

Something else I also did was manage to wiggle the CPU heatsink around a bit (I can't take it off, it seems impossible to unhook it from the board because it's on so tight).

I'll post back here if it happens again, and I'll let you know what I was doing when it happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
During the 5 minutes, I monitored CPUID Temp Monitor.

------------------------------------
Under MOTHERBOARD:

CPUTIN reached 51C, and it was still climbing, but only 1C every 40 seconds or so after the first couple of minutes.

AUXTIN reached a high of 52c, but tended to stay around 30-40C
--------------------------------------------------------

UNDER CPU:

All the cores reached a high of 39C, and a minimum of 34C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only thing worrisome about this was CPUTIN, how it was still rising.
But I just tried it again for 10 minutes, and it never went past 51C.
Looks like underclocking the processor was the way to go?

ONE MORE THING. After I turned off Sony Vegas and everything went back to idle level, AUXTIN in the CPUID monitor went up to 100C plus nearly instantly. I think AUXTIN is a false positive.

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
assuming auxtin is a false positive, i think the problem is electrical not heat related.

whether that means psu or motherboard i am not sure, I am leaning towards mobo

I wouldn't completely rule out thermal, but I am leaning towards electrical

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

I tried a ton of things that caused rebooting before, and I can't get it to reset now.

It seems the problem is resolved, but I'm going to give it a couple weeks and I'll return the board if it happens again.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

It seems it didn't really take a performance hit according to benchmarks, so I guess it's fine for now until I maybe go get a new board or something.

I did however have a new problem that makes me more uncomfortable with this new PC build, it's not happening anymore but:

Earlier today I put Windows on sleep mode, and when I woke it up, I didn't get a signal to the screen. I shut off the computer and restarted it, still no signal. I tried onboard video, still no signal.
I removed and swapped around memory sticks, re-seated the CPU, removed my external Graphics Card, and reset BIOS, and I still couldn't get the computer to send a signal to the screen. Eventually after just removing and swapping things around, I got the computer to turn on just like normal. All the same components are in it that were in it before, so I'm wondering what caused that to happen?

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

are you certain it was just the video? do you know windows was running? did you hear windows sounds?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

It wouldn't send any power to some USB devices it seems, including my speakers, so I couldn't hear anything.

The Hard Drive was ticking though.

I had this problem with my last computer, and I fixed it by swapping around the memory sticks, but that didn't fix it this time it seems.

TRENDING THREADS