Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Built new PC, restarts under load

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 26, 2012 5:59:19 AM

Just built a new PC. First time I ever built a PC from scratch, but I know what I was doing for the most part.

Was testing it out all day, getting windows updates, drivers, and gauging performance of the new Processor. One time I tried rendering a Video in Sony Vegas (High CPU/Ram Usage), and the screen went black, heard a zzt sound, and the computer rebooted.

Turned PC back on, tried rendering again, it worked out perfectly fine.
Played some games for a couple hours. Started playing a PS2 Emulator, again, high cpu usage. After 5-10 minutes of that, Screen went black, zzzt sound, PC Rebooted.
Turn PC back on, try a windows experience index test, black screen, zzzt, PC Rebooted.

It's beginning to happen more and more frequently. I'm somewhat new at building my own PC, and I'm wondering what would be the cause of it. The PSU works fine, I tested it out on someone else's computer which uses a little more power than this one. It looks like it could be the Mobo, Processor, or the Ram.

I tried On-board video too (Radeon HD 3000, and it still happens)


OS: Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition


Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Processor: AMD FX-6200 Black Edition Six-Core 3.8 GHz
(PROCESSOR IDLES AT 15-30C, AND AVERAGES 30-42C UNDER USE, STOCK COOLER)


GPU: 1GB BFG 9800GT (Eco Edition, no external connector, only pulls from PCI-E)


Ram: G Skill F3-12800-CL8-TU-6GBPI (Using 4GB, only 2 DIMS on mobo, tried auto clocks and I also tried manually setting the clocks. Also tried both 1.6v and 1.65v, neither made a difference) (It's 1.6~1.65v ram)


320 GB Seagate Barracuda Sata Drive



Help anyone? What should I return here, or attempt to fix?

More about : built restarts load

a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 6:13:57 AM

Make sure nothing is overheating, and your card is pretty old. Maybe try a new GPU?
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 6:22:08 AM

Deemo13 said:
Make sure nothing is overheating, and your card is pretty old. Maybe try a new GPU?



It will work fine until I get some more money. Main reason I got the new Mobo and CPU is because the last CPU was bottlenecking all my games. The old computer was all maxed out and I had to move on and buy a new mobo and processor to go with it.

So far almost every game has been flawless on this one, but I will be upgrading to a 560 Ti or above sooner or later.

Also, GPU runs at 60c max (I always have the fan set to 75%), motherboard is about 40c at all times, and as said above, the CPU idles 15-30C and never goes above 42c even when in a game.


I'm thinking either Faulty Mobo or processor, because a couple Newegg Reviewers have said the board doesn't handle 125W FX's all that well. I sure hope not though, I waited a week to get this stuff <_>
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 6:24:14 AM

take the heat sink off the processor ( you did lift lever before putting processor in holes ? )............ clean up that and processor, reapply paste to heat sink and reseat on processor.........

make sure cool and quiet is enabled in the BIOS. that makes the fan on the heat sink speed up when the processor gets hotter.

the power pin for that fan is on the correct header ?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 6:26:13 AM

Hmm. I have no idea what it would be to be honest.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 6:33:24 AM

swifty_morgan said:
take the heat sink off the processor ( you did lift lever before putting processor in holes ? )............ clean up that and processor, reapply paste to heat sink and reseat on processor.........

make sure cool and quiet is enabled in the BIOS. that makes the fan on the heat sink speed up when the processor gets hotter.

the power pin for that fan is on the correct header ?



Power pin is in the right place.

I used the stock heatsink and fan with pre-applied thermal compound. I just barely got it to snap into place (because it was so hard). The lever on the heatsink is kind of in the off position because there is no possible way It could be tightened anymore than it is. I actually can't even budge the heatsink, and I don't think I could take it off without breaking something... It's REALLY on there.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 6:43:01 AM

the lever i was talking about was the lever you need to raise to put the processor in. after the processor is in you need to move that little lever back.

not the lever on the heat-sink and fan.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 6:49:50 AM

swifty_morgan said:
the lever i was talking about was the lever you need to raise to put the processor in. after the processor is in you need to move that little lever back.

not the lever on the heat-sink and fan.



Oh yeah, I got that, I pulled up the lever, very carefully slid the processor into place, and then pushed the lever down to lock it in.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 7:03:13 AM

is cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS ?......... read the booklet that came with the motherboard.


you installed the drivers off the disc also ?

try and get a fan to blow on that little silver heat-sink on the motherboard and on the power circuitry around the processor.

and since you were "adjusting" the voltage, clear the cmos.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 7:08:19 AM

swifty_morgan said:
is cool and quiet enabled in the BIOS ?......... read the booklet that came with the motherboard.


you installed the drivers off the disc also ?



Yes I installed any Necessary Disc Drivers, and Cool n' Quiet is enabled.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 7:10:32 AM

see edit above.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 7:32:31 AM

swifty_morgan said:
see edit above.


I actually have a fan blowing on the larger heatsink on the mobo.

I don't think I could get one to blow on the circuitry around the CPU though.

I'll try clearing CMOS later. I'll wait until I get the reset problem again though just so I'm sure it was still going on.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:37:29 AM

swifty_morgan said:
see edit above.


Got some new info that might answer what's going on here.
I have a feeling this might be forcing a reset because it gets to hot.

I have the CPUID Hardware monitor, tells you temps of most of the components in the computer.

Everything looks fine, but under Motherboard I got this:

TEMPERATURES:

SYSTIN: 32-33C
CPUTIN: 32-37C
AUXTIN: 57-128C (It hit 128C, it seems to idle around 70-110C, I'm not sure what it is)
TMPIN3:40C


You guys know what AUXTIN might be? Looks like something might be overheating on the board after all. Not good though because I can NOT get the Heatsink off the mobo.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 4:12:48 PM

Its probably the GPU, since as I said, the 9800GT is pretty old and runs hot. I would suggest blowing the card out with some compressed air.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 4:53:36 PM

Deemo13 said:
Its probably the GPU, since as I said, the 9800GT is pretty old and runs hot. I would suggest blowing the card out with some compressed air.



He said he tried with onboard video and the same problem, so it's not the 8800
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 4:56:13 PM

Since the problem only occurs under load, I am thinking heat or power, that auxtin thing is a likely culprit, but power also, possible the PSU can't deliver rated power, and folds under load, or the power management system on the motherboard isn't delivering power properly.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 5:58:42 PM

Oh nevermind then. I would find out what that auxtin is. There are no components that should be heating up that much.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 6:35:41 PM

Deemo13 said:
Oh nevermind then. I would find out what that auxtin is. There are no components that should be heating up that much.


Maybe I'll return the board and get a Gigabyte board I seen for $70.
The USB 3.0 doesn't work on this board either, and it looks like 2 of the 2.0's are only working half the time this morning.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 7:36:33 PM

Alright Guys, I underclocked the processor by .1GHz and the FSB from 2200MHz to 2000MHz, I didn't change any voltages though as I don't actually know how that works.

I tried forcing the computer to reset, and I can't get it to (Using Sony Vegas anyways).
I tried previewing a video with effects applied to it, and setting it to Draft(quarter) quality, then I jumped it up to Best(Full) quality, instantly raising the CPU and memory usage to nearly 100%. I let it sit there for 3 minutes, and I got no reboot.

Something else I also did was manage to wiggle the CPU heatsink around a bit (I can't take it off, it seems impossible to unhook it from the board because it's on so tight).

I'll post back here if it happens again, and I'll let you know what I was doing when it happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
During the 5 minutes, I monitored CPUID Temp Monitor.

------------------------------------
Under MOTHERBOARD:

CPUTIN reached 51C, and it was still climbing, but only 1C every 40 seconds or so after the first couple of minutes.


AUXTIN reached a high of 52c, but tended to stay around 30-40C
--------------------------------------------------------

UNDER CPU:

All the cores reached a high of 39C, and a minimum of 34C.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only thing worrisome about this was CPUTIN, how it was still rising.
But I just tried it again for 10 minutes, and it never went past 51C.
Looks like underclocking the processor was the way to go?







ONE MORE THING. After I turned off Sony Vegas and everything went back to idle level, AUXTIN in the CPUID monitor went up to 100C plus nearly instantly. I think AUXTIN is a false positive.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 7:52:58 PM

assuming auxtin is a false positive, i think the problem is electrical not heat related.

whether that means psu or motherboard i am not sure, I am leaning towards mobo

I wouldn't completely rule out thermal, but I am leaning towards electrical
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:36:11 PM

eshepard said:
assuming auxtin is a false positive, i think the problem is electrical not heat related.

whether that means psu or motherboard i am not sure, I am leaning towards mobo

I wouldn't completely rule out thermal, but I am leaning towards electrical


I tried a ton of things that caused rebooting before, and I can't get it to reset now.

It seems the problem is resolved, but I'm going to give it a couple weeks and I'll return the board if it happens again.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 8:56:16 PM

glad it's working, too bad not at stock speed though
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 8:34:17 AM

eshepard said:
glad it's working, too bad not at stock speed though


It seems it didn't really take a performance hit according to benchmarks, so I guess it's fine for now until I maybe go get a new board or something.


I did however have a new problem that makes me more uncomfortable with this new PC build, it's not happening anymore but:

Earlier today I put Windows on sleep mode, and when I woke it up, I didn't get a signal to the screen. I shut off the computer and restarted it, still no signal. I tried onboard video, still no signal.
I removed and swapped around memory sticks, re-seated the CPU, removed my external Graphics Card, and reset BIOS, and I still couldn't get the computer to send a signal to the screen. Eventually after just removing and swapping things around, I got the computer to turn on just like normal. All the same components are in it that were in it before, so I'm wondering what caused that to happen?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2012 3:39:44 PM

izayaorihara said:
It seems it didn't really take a performance hit according to benchmarks, so I guess it's fine for now until I maybe go get a new board or something.


I did however have a new problem that makes me more uncomfortable with this new PC build, it's not happening anymore but:

Earlier today I put Windows on sleep mode, and when I woke it up, I didn't get a signal to the screen. I shut off the computer and restarted it, still no signal. I tried onboard video, still no signal.
I removed and swapped around memory sticks, re-seated the CPU, removed my external Graphics Card, and reset BIOS, and I still couldn't get the computer to send a signal to the screen. Eventually after just removing and swapping things around, I got the computer to turn on just like normal. All the same components are in it that were in it before, so I'm wondering what caused that to happen?



are you certain it was just the video? do you know windows was running? did you hear windows sounds?
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 6:17:35 PM

eshepard said:
are you certain it was just the video? do you know windows was running? did you hear windows sounds?


It wouldn't send any power to some USB devices it seems, including my speakers, so I couldn't hear anything.

The Hard Drive was ticking though.


I had this problem with my last computer, and I fixed it by swapping around the memory sticks, but that didn't fix it this time it seems.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2012 7:09:18 PM

izayaorihara said:
It wouldn't send any power to some USB devices it seems, including my speakers, so I couldn't hear anything.

The Hard Drive was ticking though.


I had this problem with my last computer, and I fixed it by swapping around the memory sticks, but that didn't fix it this time it seems.



just because the hard drive was ticking doesn't mean windows succesfully resumed, in fact it sounds to me like windows didn't resume or boot properly.

A ticking sound is often indicactive of a dying hard drive, it's possible your drive didn't spool properly and resume windows

this might be a dying drive.
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 12:04:05 AM

eshepard said:
just because the hard drive was ticking doesn't mean windows succesfully resumed, in fact it sounds to me like windows didn't resume or boot properly.

A ticking sound is often indicactive of a dying hard drive, it's possible your drive didn't spool properly and resume windows

this might be a dying drive.



Wasn't implying Windows resumed.
What I meant was the Hard Drive was making that noise that all Hard Drives make when they are running. Nothing sounded out of the ordinary.




New problem, this happened twice today on me randomly. System Hard Locked. Both times it happened when I was just internet browsing or sitting on the desktop.

During the hard lock, the screen is still visible etc, but everything is frozen. I let it sit for 5 minutes the second time it happened, and nothing happened, so I restarted it.

What's causing the hard lock now? Motherboard?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 12:06:54 AM

not sure, but you might have a failing hard drive, do u have another one you can try??
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 12:10:58 AM

eshepard said:
not sure, but you might have a failing hard drive, do u have another one you can try??


I know it's not the hard drive. It makes the default stock hard drive sound every hard drive makes.
It also seems if it was the hard drive, the computer wouldn't allow a restart.

No, no others I can try.


Looks like Hard Locking is related to the CPU. Maybe I should reseat it or something?
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 1:01:23 AM

Computer restarts under load again, random lock ups, and some problems with booting up.

I'm going to return the motherboard and try another. If anyone could help me find the best AM3+ board with support for a AMD FX-6200 right out of the box, I would appreciate it. I'm looking at a $80 or less price range, but I MIGHT go higher.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 1:28:26 AM

I think the motherboard makes sense, the motherboard could be causing electrical problems, that would cause rebooting
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 1:46:21 AM

eshepard said:
I think the motherboard makes sense, the motherboard could be causing electrical problems, that would cause rebooting

Yeah, I'll just start with the mobo. If I continue to have problems, I'll narrow it down then. I just think I should get the biggest thing out of the way first though Lol.

Can anyone help me decide which of these is the way to go?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-Chipset-Motherbo...

http://www.amazon.com/M5A78L-M-LX-PLUS-Micro-Motherboar...



I also made a thread here in case that's what I should do. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322906-30-best-micro-...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 2:01:15 AM

i am an intel guy for cpu's and I am tired, don't feel like reading a bunch of mobo articles right now, sorry
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 2:02:16 AM

eshepard said:
i am an intel guy for cpu's and I am tired, don't feel like reading a bunch of mobo articles right now, sorry


No problem. I'll see if the other thread gets any attention about it.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 2:19:07 AM

you said up top something about trying to force the computer to reset but it wouldn't.................. pull the battery, wait a minute, put battery back in.

if I were you I'd completely disassemble the computer and put it back together. that would include pulling the motherboard out of the case.

the thing about the heat sink being to hard ( the hold down ) kinda worries me. although i have had one or two that were a little tough, I never had anything like you're describing.

and I ask, when you put the processor in, did you put the the little triangle in the correct position ?
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 2:27:07 AM

swifty_morgan said:
you said up top something about trying to force the computer to reset but it wouldn't.................. pull the battery, wait a minute, put battery back in.

if I were you I'd completely disassemble the computer and put it back together. that would include pulling the motherboard out of the case.

the thing about the heat sink being to hard ( the hold down ) kinda worries me. although i have had one or two that were a little tough, I never had anything like you're describing.

and I ask, when you put the processor in, did you put the the little triangle in the correct position ?



I managed to get the heatsink off, I reseated the processor, and put the Heatsink back on with the lever facing me instead of the PSU (easier to get at), and it also doesn't seem to be as tight as before. Triangle was and is in the right spot.

However, the computer restarting problem came back, and now I'm getting Hard Locks. I reseated the processor after the first hard lock but I got another one and another restart since then. I cleared CMOS and what not as well, moved ram around, tried it without the 9800 GT and using onboard video, and I still get issues. It has to be the motherboard or the CPU.

I'm just going with it's the board's fault and looking for a new one that will support a 6200 out of the box like this ASRock.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 3:29:39 AM

can't read through all this again. did you try a different video card as previously suggested ?
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 3:54:46 AM

swifty_morgan said:
can't read through all this again. did you try a different video card as previously suggested ?


I used on-board, as seen in the first post, and someone shot down that suggestion because I said I used on-board.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 4:00:22 AM

I don't know brother. you can try that new board. not too much money to fork over. might be worth the try.


m
0
l
October 28, 2012 4:02:25 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I don't know brother. you can try that new board. not too much money to fork over. might be worth the try.


Think that board will be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm going to order it soon, I hope everything works out then.

I'm planning on putting a GTX 650 in afterwards.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 4:13:32 AM

izayaorihara said:
Think that board will be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm going to order it soon, I hope everything works out then.

I'm planning on putting a GTX 650 in afterwards.



ok, take a breath and slow down here

I understand budget, i just did a new budget build 1 month ago, but u need take a step back and think long game here, it will be cheaper overall

sometimes it is absolutely appropriate and practical to spend a bit more now, to save lot later

go bigger than a 650, i like nvidia cards, think they are better than amd overall, but, amd is the bang for buck right now, u can a get 7850 for 150 if u shop well, and a 7850 will crush a 650

im just saying think long view

trying to save a few bucks now can be more expensive overall
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 4:22:12 AM

eshepard said:
ok, take a breath and slow down here

I understand budget, i just did a new budget build 1 month ago, but u need take a step back and think long game here, it will be cheaper overall

sometimes it is absolutely appropriate and practical to spend a bit more now, to save lot later

go bigger than a 650, i like nvidia cards, think they are better than amd overall, but, amd is the bang for buck right now, u can a get 7850 for 150 if u shop well, and a 7850 will crush a 650

im just saying think long view

trying to save a few bucks now can be more expensive overall



I'm doing all this on a card with only $144 remaining on it. I was going to buy the gigabyte, then return my current motherboard, and be left with about $118.

On top of that, I kind of need a low powered card like the 650 because half my house is literally on the same circuit and the power can go out with little to nothing depending on what's running (Like electric heaters etc).

Sooner or later though, I will be able to get a better GPU, but it will be awhile until I can get a different debit/credit card and a proper bank account.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 1:53:47 AM

Well guys, new turn of events. I consulted someone I know who builds and manages his own servers for games, and it seems I may have found the entire problem with my board.

The memory.

It was not supported by my motherboard or CPU running at 1600, so I underclocked it to 1333, and I haven't seen any problems yet.

I'm still open to expecting more problems, but we'll see how it goes.
On top of this, I ordered some Dual Channel G Skill ram 2x4GB off of a buyers choice on Newegg so I'll be good to go. I may repost or edit this post below if the problems return (Which I'm sure they will).
m
0
l
!