Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this system be decent for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 7:11:12 AM

hi, i have recently bought myself a second hand prebuilt hp system with the following specs:
gt 430 1gb
4gb ddr2 ram 800mhz
unknown motherboard but i know it can only handle 4gb and has lga 775 socket
windows vista 32 bit but i am going to try sort out changing to vista 64 bit soon
core 2 quad q6700 2.66 ghz
300w power supply.

i have a $500 buget atm and i want build it around my q6700 processor. i may be overclocking in the future.
i want to know what you would do with my system if you only had $500 nzd so thats about $410 usd.
i was thinking of this:
asus gtx 560 ti
520w antec High Current Gamer Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze.
these two items come in at $494 nzd

keep in mind i will probably make the shift to i5 or i7 and ddr3 ram one day but i figured the psu and graphics was a good place to start.
would any of you spend the money differently? an if so then what on?
i hope to be playing battlefield 3 on high with 50+ fps and gta V when it comes out :D 

More about : system decent gaming

October 26, 2012 7:22:44 AM

be wary because if its a factory motherboard your overclocking ability will be very limited or next to none .. as in like an hp factory board .. your really looking for something like a gigabyte or a ausus or asrock or msi .. if you cant tell chances are its factory.. as for the core 2 quad core isnt bad .. but amd processors now best that one .. how ever i would certainly look at swapping out that gt 430 only real issue there is the power supply only being 300 watts it wont be enough to power much more then that .. look into getting a 7770 or 7850 and just buy a newer mother board.. an put 1066 or 1333 mhz ram in it .. i beleave those were supported then.. it might be hard to find sense its an older socket .. this is with out making massive changes but really if you really dont want to spend to much a 7770 or 7850 with a 450 watt or 500 watt power supply will do just fine.. it wont play bf3 on max settings but you will at least be able to play at 1080p saying you have that kind of monitor .. at lower resolutions its even better.
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:24:26 AM

PSU, new cheap mobo so you can OC, heatsink for CPU and a halfway decent GPU.

Too be honest though I wouldn't invest much in it. I think something along the lines of a radeon 7770 and a cheap but quality PSU (Antec, Corsair, etc), the new mobo is pretty much a must so you can OC since the bios I can pretty much guarantee you is locked down and unless you OC that CPU you will be heavily gimping that GPU.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 7:34:32 AM

depending on where you are:
you may want to look at a 7850 (about equal to the performance of a 560ti) or a 7870.

as posted before; it is doubtful you will be able to squeeze more from the C2Q by overclocking it since it is an OEM rig. but since you already have it, by upgrading the gpu and PSU for swapping out to a future rig is rather logical.

the antec HCG is a rather good "budget minded" PSU; it provides plenty of power for any cpu/gpu set up (except for a 590/690 set up).

bearing in mind the Q6700 will be holding your gaming back along with that DDR2 RAM, upgrade to a PIIx4/AM3+ or i5/ivy set up when you can.
October 26, 2012 7:38:35 AM

goodguy713 said:
be wary because if its a factory motherboard your overclocking ability will be very limited or next to none .. as in like an hp factory board .. your really looking for something like a gigabyte or a ausus or asrock or msi .. if you cant tell chances are its factory.. as for the core 2 quad core isnt bad .. but amd processors now best that one .. how ever i would certainly look at swapping out that gt 430 only real issue there is the power supply only being 300 watts it wont be enough to power much more then that .. look into getting a 7770 or 7850 and just buy a newer mother board.. an put 1066 or 1333 mhz ram in it .. i beleave those were supported then.. it might be hard to find sense its an older socket .. this is with out making massive changes but really if you really dont want to spend to much a 7770 or 7850 with a 450 watt or 500 watt power supply will do just fine.. it wont play bf3 on max settings but you will at least be able to play at 1080p saying you have that kind of monitor .. at lower resolutions its even better.

thank you for your input i will be taking your advice and swapping out the gtx 560 ti for a cheaper option and get a mobo. i have found 3 cards around the 7770 price range on a nz website. what would you suggest out of gtx 560 non ti $214, gtx 550 ti $200 or a 7770 for $200 or oc version for around $230?
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:48:08 AM

Anonymous said:
depending on where you are:
you may want to look at a 7850 (about equal to the performance of a 560ti) or a 7870.

as posted before; it is doubtful you will be able to squeeze more from the C2Q by overclocking it since it is an OEM rig. but since you already have it, by upgrading the gpu and PSU for swapping out to a future rig is rather logical.

the antec HCG is a rather good "budget minded" PSU; it provides plenty of power for any cpu/gpu set up (except for a 590/690 set up).

bearing in mind the Q6700 will be holding your gaming back along with that DDR2 RAM, upgrade to a PIIx4/AM3+ or i5/ivy set up when you can.

thank you for replying. that was exactly my thinking because when i do upgrade to a good i5 and ddr3 (probably when i get a job next year) i dont then want to have to get a new video card and psu to keep up. why do you suggest a 7850? are they usually cheaper? i think i will stick with getting a good psu and gpu for now
m
l
October 26, 2012 8:19:53 AM

you may want to consider amazon as an option .. they also cary computer parts .

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-mini-Displayport-PCI-Exp...

189 after mail in rebate .. and 209 before rebate and typcially you get free shipping also .. as for the 7770 your looking at about 140 dollars or so

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-FX777AZDB4-Double-1095MHz-Gra... this is 144 before rebate and 134 after rebate.

as for the psu http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Watt-Bronze-GS500/... this runs for 80

but other reputable sites are new egg and tiger direct you might be able to find a deal at frys electronics also
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 8:37:14 AM

gomilly said:
thank you for replying. that was exactly my thinking because when i do upgrade to a good i5 and ddr3 (probably when i get a job next year) i dont then want to have to get a new video card and psu to keep up. why do you suggest a 7850? are they usually cheaper? i think i will stick with getting a good psu and gpu for now

yes the 7850s are cheaper but if you can afford to get this with your PSU:
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition HDMI Dual-DisplayPort 2GB

edit: keep in mind that your current set up will not allow this to perform at its best but, once you upgrade it will be able to "stretch its legs".
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 8:37:20 AM

You should just a buy a new system with that sort of cash.
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:13:29 AM

FinneousPJ said:
You should just a buy a new system with that sort of cash.

that is the idea only im buying it in chunks because i dont have that kind of money yet
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:18:53 AM

Anonymous said:
yes the 7850s are cheaper but if you can afford to get this with your PSU:
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition HDMI Dual-DisplayPort 2GB

edit: keep in mind that your current set up will not allow this to perform at its best but, once you upgrade it will be able to "stretch its legs".

Theres an his ati one for $400 and a gigabyte oc one for $393. does it matter what brand makes it? i will consider it, being only 20 or so dollars over my buget. do you think the antec 520w is good and future proof for an i5?
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:45:48 AM

goodguy713 said:
you may want to consider amazon as an option .. they also cary computer parts .

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-mini-Displayport-PCI-Exp...

189 after mail in rebate .. and 209 before rebate and typcially you get free shipping also .. as for the 7770 your looking at about 140 dollars or so

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-FX777AZDB4-Double-1095MHz-Gra... this is 144 before rebate and 134 after rebate.

as for the psu http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Gaming-Watt-Bronze-GS500/... this runs for 80

but other reputable sites are new egg and tiger direct you might be able to find a deal at frys electronics also

im really not that keen on bying off amazon. the shipping has taken upto and over 1 month even for small things.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2012 8:40:34 PM

gomilly said:
Theres an his ati one for $400 and a gigabyte oc one for $393. does it matter what brand makes it? i will consider it, being only 20 or so dollars over my buget. do you think the antec 520w is good and future proof for an i5?

some manufacturers will have cards/models that perform better. ATI/AMD provides the graphics chip and reference PCB for their partners/manufactures to design their own cards from.
here is a list of reviews of different cards/manufacturers of the 7870:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/Graphics-Cards/ATI/...

now some of those are rather "dated" but you could help you get and idea of what model would perform better, like and MSI lighting compared to a "vanilla" reference card.

and that antec will be just fine for an i5 and any single graphics card set up; except a 7990 (that can take 530 watts alone when under max stress)
m
l
October 27, 2012 5:21:07 AM

Best answer selected by Gomilly.
m
l
!