Sign in with
Your question

Need advices on upgrades.

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 8:48:04 AM

Hello,

I'm new here, so I got a little lost on where to place my thread, sorry for the inconvenience.

As the topic states, I need advices on upgrades for my PC, because I got no clue on how and what I should focus on.

So my specs are:

MB - ASRock N68-VS3 FX
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.3GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3-1600
GPU - Radeon HD 5450
PSU - 550W (The case is gone, so atm. I got no name on it.)

- A friend of mine, did not have a clue about GPUs when he recommended me to get the HD 5450 for gaming. A few weeks after purchase, with constant nagging about bad graphics in games, I decided to Google a reason, and found a thread on this forum, explaining the maths on GPUs from AMD (ATI?).

So, I figured I had to do some modifications to my current setup, so I could manage to play some of the high-end games that requires great performance in games.

A few examples could be:

CS:GO - I need to put everything to a minimum before I can even run in maps.

WoW:MoP - The same thing here, lowest on graphics and details, otherwise while killing creatues with lots of graphics involved, would make my FPS drop low. Even on the lowest details, I can still manage to drop down to 3-8 FPS when a lot of things happen.

Diablo 3 - Low details, otherwise I am not able to navigate through the menus nor in-game.

WoT - Low graphics and details, otherwise I can't navigate and huge FPS drops.

That's just to mention some of the games I've tried to play with this current setup.

So, if you guys have any recommendations I will consider any advices.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Allimaj

More about : advices upgrades

October 26, 2012 9:17:38 AM

You definitely want a better GPU. The question is: How much are you willing to spend?
October 26, 2012 10:56:34 AM

your friend must be trolling. a 5450 is about as good as intel hd3000 graphics which is ok for counter strike source but sucks thereafter

how much are you spending?

and what power supply do you have?
Related resources
October 26, 2012 12:45:35 PM

If you just want to run those games on High settings, get an HD 7750. You won't have to upgrade your PSU, either. It will be a HUGE upgrade for just over $100.
October 26, 2012 7:38:29 PM

Hey guys,
Sorry for the late answer - Been having a busy day 'till now.

My PSU is a 'Linkworld LPG12-35E'.

About the GPU, I am willing to spend about $100 but might have a budget on $150.

@jessterman21:
- Would the rest of my hardware be able to pull it off, if just I get a better GPU?
Sorry for being noob, but I got barely no clue about how it works :/ 
October 26, 2012 10:45:14 PM

Yeah dude - the rest of your PC is great. I can't believe someone suggested the HD 5450, and not the 6450 at least...

The HD 7750 is a GREAT beginner's card. Drop it in pretty much any modern PC, and you've got a budget gaming rig. You can run all those games you mentioned on Ultra.
October 27, 2012 12:27:59 AM

the 6450 and the 5450 are the same cards just rebranded from what i know. same goes with the 7450
October 27, 2012 2:30:22 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the 6450 and the 5450 are the same cards just rebranded from what i know. same goes with the 7450

Ha, I love your sig. But no, they're not the same (though you're right, the HD 7450 is a rebranded HD 6450). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics...
The HD 5450 is on par with Intel's HD 3000 IGP, and the HD 6450/7450 actually beats Intel's new HD 4000 IGP.

But either way, none of those GPUs are fit for anything more than Ultrabooks and casual games at 720p.
November 28, 2012 10:52:18 PM

Hey guys, sorry for not responding to this thread for ages, but I moved to a new place, and finally got some internet :) 

I want to thank you guys for the great advices on a new GPU upgrade, but unfortunately with a new place to live, I got a tight budget.

I've checked the HD7750 and I also noticed a major price-difference on who's "name" stands on the box :p 

So, if I buy one of the cheap versions of HD7750 instead of a one of the other that costs $20 more, would that matter performance wise?
November 29, 2012 1:11:28 AM

Allimaj said:
So, if I buy one of the cheap versions of HD7750 instead of a one of the other that costs $20 more, would that matter performance wise?

Not in the least. Get the cheapest one you find, just make sure it has GDDR5 instead of GDDR3, and there's a return policy in case of a bad card.
November 30, 2012 8:27:37 AM

Okay, thanks jessterman21 :) 
!