Sign in with
Your question

Got my new GTX550ti today, Please share ur views

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2012 5:28:30 PM

Finally Got my new GTX550 Ti, Installed it, Stress Tested it using Furmark and it went to 80 temp max after 4 minutes of 100% Load then I closed the app.

They Gave Me Palit Card instead of Sparkle. Is Palit good ? my this card is running on 50-55 temp on idle, ok or not ?..... I am also posting some pics of the card :) 

There is no fan in my cabinet, Should I get one ?
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 5:38:07 PM

80 under load is normal ( bit high ) and 50-55 idle is pretty high, adding a fan would probably help with that.

I think Palit is about same quality as Sparkle.
m
l
August 30, 2012 6:47:10 PM

Okay thanks for the reply..

I have space for fan in my cabinet at the backside of it. but there is no slot to put fan on the side cover of cabinet.. so will 1 fan on backside will be enough ? I touched my cabinet's side cover while playing game and it was very hot
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 6:50:46 PM

1 is good 2 is better ;) 
One will get you a better cooling so see what it does first.

I assume the slot on the back is at the top or the middle ? Let it make the air blow out then i think.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:22:50 PM

ok, air out then.
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:29:11 PM

Is your PSU also hot? If so, it may be at its capacity, and won't last. What PSU do you have (brand and model please, not just wattage) ?
If it's the VS450 in your config, it should be enough, unless it's really old, in which case capacitor aging may have reduced its capacity.

m
l
August 30, 2012 7:30:08 PM

anyways does these case fans really make a difference ? if yes then how much can we expect ? will my temps will come down to 40-45 from 55 ?

also my PSU is on the top of the cabinet and PSU have a big fan at bottom of it but it comes inside the system. as I see other systems the PSU's are on bottom and the bottom fan of PSU takes air from OUTSIDE the cabinet.

is it a big issue to have PSU on top of cabinet and it's fan inside the system ?
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:30:54 PM

Onus said:
Is your PSU also hot? If so, it may be at its capacity, and won't last. What PSU do you have (brand and model please, not just wattage) ?

Corsair VS450
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:31:55 PM

Saw that...edited my message.

Your PSU was probably serving as the only exhaust. Add the other exhaust fan; it will help a lot.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:36:02 PM

I will do that tomorrow. let's see what happens..

and my Corsair VS450 is just 1 week old.
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:37:53 PM

Ok, you should be fine then.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 7:40:34 PM

KashishGupta said:
anyways does these case fans really make a difference ? if yes then how much can we expect ? will my temps will come down to 40-45 from 55 ?

also my PSU is on the top of the cabinet and PSU have a big fan at bottom of it but it comes inside the system. as I see other systems the PSU's are on bottom and the bottom fan of PSU takes air from OUTSIDE the cabinet.

is it a big issue to have PSU on top of cabinet and it's fan inside the system ?

I already had some fans and decent temps but adding two more made on top of that a 6-7C difference.

Mine is also on the top, not ideal but well, it's an extra outlet anyway, it will get hot though if it gets a lot of hot air from the inside of your case.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:07:45 PM

I got an idea and I executed it :D 

I had a waste power supply, I took out it's fan and then installed it in my cabinet and connected it in 4 pin molex connecter and now it's working great :D 

Will this be okay ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:11:43 PM

Brilliant ! Always recycle first ! :lol: 
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:12:53 PM

GreenDutchAlien said:
Brilliant ! Always recycle first ! :lol: 

thanks :)  anyways my idle temp is now 45-48.... I will update after I will play a game..
also I don't have slot for fan on side cover of cabinet.. I also have a waste cabinet which have slot on left cover. Ill see if that cover fits in this cabinet :) ) if it does then will put another waste PSU's fan there :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:22:07 PM

Yeah, finish those old psu's !

If the other cover doesn't fit ; get your grinder and make your own slot ! :lol: 

45-48 is nice, mine does 39-40 idle with 3 fans in ( 2 small ones and cpu ) and 2 fans out ( 1 big one and psu )
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:24:14 PM

can I really make my own slot ? anyways in the side cover should I put the fan as exhaust or take in the air ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:43:39 PM

Oh, and air in on the side . . . :) 
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:45:27 PM

I did.

I modded my standard Packard Bell to make it look better. I added 4 green ccfl's in it with a regulator to make them go slowly on and off ( like a glowing radiation effect ) putt some red lights between the Ram modules, put some red led ram mod on the ram strips going up and down on the strips, changed the small fan on the back for one with green leds and got a thermaltake SpinQ VT cpu cooler with a red led in it in.
Because my PB ipower x3.0 only had a very small opening on the side you couldn't see all of this. ( and also not my gpu which i love to see, specially the copper heat pipes )

So i took my grinder ( didn't have any other, better tool ) to make a big hole in my cover, so you can see all. ( 20x20cm )
Because with a power tool like a grinder you can't cut it in a nice straight line and it looked really bad. I knew that would happen so i bought a metal strip and a spray can of black paint. Also i bought a mesh panel ( most expensive part ).
Glued the metal strips over the side of the new hole, glued the mesh panel behind the strips, sprayed everything black and it looks pretty decent i think.
With the sun directly shining on it you can tell it's home made but that doesn't happen here, with normal lighting you can't see i did it myself.

This all was scary as hell though, putting a grinder in a perfectly good cover, hoping you are right and hoping it will work out in the end. :sweat: 
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:50:22 PM

I would Love to see your system's pictures :D  I am sure it looks like a monster :D 
m
l
August 31, 2012 6:13:20 PM

WTF?? OMG :lol:  what is that actually.. Does that packet have milk ?
m
l
August 31, 2012 6:40:17 PM

I am thinking about to put a pipe of Cool air from AC in my cabinet.. will that help ?

I played game for about 30 minutes ( Sleeping Dogs ) At max settings ant the temp was in range of 75-80
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 6:51:16 PM

So it did just help a little bit. Still 75 is ok.

Mine did 75 before and i live in a bit colder climate i think.

What do you mean by a pipe from your ac ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 6:55:28 PM

Oh, wait, from your airco you mean. Don't need them here so id didn't recognize the AC.

Euh . . . could be a little extreme, i dunno. It will get it cooler though.
m
l
August 31, 2012 6:56:42 PM

hehe I mean I should put something in the air conditioners air out place and get the chilled air in my cabinet :p 

Hey I got the side cover and a fan, Will install it later.. I am going to make it take the air inside cabinet, so what about the dust ? it will take air in, doesn't it fill the cabinet with dust ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:06:12 PM

Yeah, a bit. You can buy special filters for that which you put on the fan, but as we are in the creative, recycling mood ; you can also use an old pantyhose and put that over the fan holding it in it's place with a rubber band / elastic string. Make sure you stretch the pantyhose while putting on, the little holes have to open a bit otherwise the air can't travel through it.

P.S. a black pantyhose is maybe best.
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:26:38 PM

OMG now where will I get a pantyhose ? Sorry I am not that dare to go buy a pantyhose from a shop :o  :o 
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:33:11 PM

:lol:  :lol:  , neither would i. All red faced and not being able to speak normal anymore. :lol: 

Don't buy new anyway, we were recycling !
Don't you have a girlfriend/sister/mother/auntie/neighbor/neighborhood transvestite you can ask for a worn down one she was throwing away anyway ? ( maybe they give you a very strange look but well . . . )
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:40:35 PM

I have girlfriend/sister/mother/auntie/neighbor/neighborhood all of them.. But here in India females don't wear pantyhose.. well as much as I know.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:48:07 PM

Right . . . forgot about that. Euh . . . internet ? You do have mosquito nets i believe ? Maybe with that, though those holes are a bit big maybe.

Anyway, it's not really necessary to use a filter, just clean out the pc in a regular base and it should be fine.
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:52:00 PM

okay then.. I will install it without filter and will clean monthly..

anyways the PSU's fans runs on normal speed.. is that enough for this setup ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:54:00 PM

Guess so, all the other temps are well in limit.
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:18:05 AM

See What I did now.. Still haven't applied the fan but did some other tweaks to the case..

m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 12:44:32 PM

Nice, better.

What did you do then ? I saw some different voltages i believe ?
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:01:42 PM

I changed my side cover of cabinet, it have holes and it helps air to go in.. haven't installed the fan on side yet.. And then I used a blower to clean all the dust in the system..
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:29:40 PM

Oh, i forgot an other way to get temps down ; replacing the thermal paste with a high quality one also lowers your temps quite some bit.

Good luck. :hello: 
m
l
September 2, 2012 4:49:32 PM

Okay then, Ordered one thermal paste of coolermaster :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:24:20 PM

what do u mean by high quality ? How Can I identify that ?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 5:30:59 PM

Don't know, never did it myself. I always hear that artic cooling mx-4 and Artic silver are recommend. In the link i gave CM isn't even mentioned, so i dunno.
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:52:16 PM

Well Let's see hows the cooler master's... I am getting it for free :p  Also I don't wanna play with my card.. I am not gonna open that.. It have warranty seals on screws so I don't wanna void it's warranty.. But I will apply the paste on Processor as it's totally dry right now.. Will make it Wet :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
!