Vishera or Haswell

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I'm planning on getting a PC, upgrade from a Core 2 Duo. I was first looking at the FX 8350 + Crosshair V formula and thought that I'd later upgrade to steamroller.
But Haswell is releasing this year. Haswell is going to be very expensive when it is released and I dont think it will have such a performance boost. I'm leaning towards Vishera. What tot do?

Solution
Then its either an AMD FX-8350 at a $190 price point OR if you have lots of money, an Intel 3930K for $570.

I wouldn't consider a i7-3770(K) as the FX chip can almost reach upto that performance level in the stuff you'd do (except gaming), for almost $120 less.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Only gaming? A Haswell i5 chip.
Doing a little bit of everything, including heavy stuff like rendering/video encoding, and a heavy multitasker, then the FX-8350.

The Haswell chips are rated at only 84W though, while the FX draws 125W, so it may run a bit hot under full load. But all FX chips are unlocked, and you most probably will have an upgrade path to SteamRoller.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Then its either an AMD FX-8350 at a $190 price point OR if you have lots of money, an Intel 3930K for $570.

I wouldn't consider a i7-3770(K) as the FX chip can almost reach upto that performance level in the stuff you'd do (except gaming), for almost $120 less.

Solution

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I'd say save a bit of dosh and get the 8320, then OC it to 8350 speeds.

But that's just me.

If you will not OC, get the 8350. Don't bother with intel; you pay a huge premium for only a little difference in performance.

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I'm getting myself a Crosshair V formula-Z and it is the most expensive AMD board on the planet. If Steamroller doesnt have AM3+ then I'll just have that super motherboard stuck with the 8350 and well, I'll obviously be really, really mad. Will AMD really release Steamroller with AM3+? I'm not sure.

Uther39

Distinguished

FX series can only compare to i5 3570k in gaming is correct but in multitasking it can compare to i7 3770k.

Haswell CPUs are likely to be only a little more expensive than currently priced Ivy Bridge CPUs. Using Sandy Bridge --> Ivy Bridge as gauge; Sandy Bridge CPUs dropped $5 when Ivy Bridge CPUs were released and Ivy Bridge CPUs then priced $10 more than Sandy Bridge. That effectively means that Ivy Bridge CPUs sold for about $5 more than Sandy Bridge CPUs before the release of Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Last time I checked, the FX-8350 was only $20 more than the FX-8320. Not a big enough difference to step down to the FX-8320; well... at least not for me. As far as performance vs. the i5/i7 "K" models, Ivy Bridge performs better in games, but Piledriver can hold it's own when it comes to multi-threaded applications.

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
dude i have made some benchmarks with both cpus and i cant really say that!the amd in autodesk maya in high options for their power was making a loud noise and the 3770k rendered the scene for about 9 seconds faster!in cinebench there is about 1.00 point difference between them!(friendly) ;)

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I have no interest in Ivy right now, It's gonna be a "dead" socket soon. Haswell vs Vishera. Read the Heading.
Also, how many generations of CPU's do you think will be based on the 1150 socket?
will broadwell or skylake make a socket change?
Yeah, haswell chips wont be that expensive but the motherboards sure will be!

Maybe Steamroller will turn the tide with Microsoft and Sony pouring money in AMD's wallet. Maybe steamroller wont even be released. Anything can happen.
Whats your bet?

Nothing so far indicates that Steamroller will not be released.

However, I believe it would be in AMD's best interest to abandon a "CPU core only processor". Meaning socket AM3+ should be abandoned altogether so that AMD can focus resources on their socket FM2/FM3 APUs. Consolidating their product lines means cost savings and eliminates some internal competitive sales; meaning people who want to build an inexpensive PC will likely opt for AMD anyway so buying a Trinity APU could be at the expense of an inexpensive FX CPU.

The will free up resources for AMD to use for ARM development which I believe is the direction they need to go to expand their business in the not too distant future.

cyphacipher

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2013
I have a FX8320 and so far I haven't had anything max it out. I had the choice to get a Intel, but I'm about making my money go far. The money you save can be applied to other upgrades. More ram, better GFX card...

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
the cpu however is very unique!i mean it needs its own socket motherboard so you dont get one every now and then!so instead of getting more ram that you are able to add at any time you should give more attention to the cpu!

satyamdubey

Distinguished

Completely agree. AMD can deal a major blow to competition were it to couple it's Steamroller archi based cores with that ps4 kinda on-die gpu. That running a dual graphics set up will be AMD's big triumph.

Rohan Rathi

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
After logan, linus also put up a video showing that the FX 8350 might be the way to go after all. Geez, If I go with AMD I get a Crosshair V formula-Z with 3 way sli capabilities and if I go with Intel, I'll be getting a Maximus V Formula equivalent of the Z87 motherboards, but it'll take time to be released and it'll be damn expensive! Not to forget that the Maximus Formula costs 100 dollars more than the Crosshair where I live.

mlscrow

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Necro! First...Steamroller will be out in 2013. Second, Vishera performs very well vs 3770K in many cases. In gaming, it depends on the game, but it STILL can perform as well as 3770K. In other games it simply gets beat by Intel by a decent margin, but at the same time, if 3770K plays a game at 100fps, and FX8350 plays a game at 70fps, it's STILL going to be playing the game faster than your eyes can process, so both chips are satisfactory. Also, the FX8350 is $189 vs $329 for 3770K.

I personally like the AMD for price/performance. However, there is no information on whether or not there will be an AM3+ Steamroller and it's only a couple months away for Haswell. I personally like Haswell very much. The improvements made over IB are nice. If I were you and you are comparing Vishera to Haswell...I'd choose Haswell for sure.

I personally am waiting for AMD to verify Steamroller FX before I build a new system. If they do, I'm waiting for SR, if not, I'm getting Haswell. You should really compare those two instead of Vishera.

If this response is much too late and you already bought the CPU...grats and hopefully AMD does release SR for AM3+. kbai.

TRENDING THREADS