Closed Solved

550ti upgrade

Hey all. I recently bought a new computer from cyberpowerpc and the graphics card in it is less than desirable. So now I'm upgrading from a GT 610 to a GTX 550ti. I have a 500w power supply which seems to be sufficient for the card. The GTX 550ti requires a 6pin connector, which my psu lacks. The card comes with a double molex to a 6pin adapter but the issue is that my psu only has 1 free molex. My question is if I buy a molex splitter will that single molex acting as two work with the 6pin adapter? Or will it be too much on it?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 550ti upgrade
  1. Best answer
    You'd be better off just getting a new power supply. Cyberpower never ever uses credible power supplies for their computers. Chances are it actually doesnt have enough to power the card.

I hope you didn't pay more than $500 for something with a GT610 in it.
  2. Deemo13 said:
    You'd be better off just getting a new power supply. Cyberpower never ever uses credible power supplies for their computers. Chances are it actually doesnt have enough to power the card.

I hope you didn't pay more than $500 for something with a GT610 in it.

I wanted to build one of my own but being in high school I had to convince my mother to pay for it. Lol. There is no way she would have put any money into it if I were doing it myself.

I actually got the pc on sale. It was on amazon for like $100 off. I knew it was a bad deal compared to what I could build. I paid $515 for it.
  3. Well, that's not too bad I guess. Could have been worse, I've seen people buy computers like yours for $700 or $800, then come here and complain about how it doesnt work fast enough.

I built my first computer in high school as well lol.

But I would seriously recommend a power supply upgrade for your computer, something like this will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
  4. Best answer selected by xwxaxsx.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product