Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering and "temporary freezing" on new system?

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 12:57:13 PM

So i built a new system this week and finally got it all up and running fine with win 7 home premium 64 bit.

I'm posting this in the storage category as i believe i may have something to do with my SSD. It's an OCZ revodrive3 x2 480 gb. it's a $750 drive so i hope this isn't the case. Here's the details. If you need any more info, just let me know. Also will describe problem after hardware spec.

Intel core i7. 3930 (stock clock)
Asus x79 Sabertooth Mobo
VENGEANCE 16GB 1600 QUAD (ram, replaced once as one stick wasn't recognized and faulty)
eVGA nVidia 680 GTX classified (4gb vram) (driver version 9.18.13.1033)
OCZ revodrive3 x2 480 gb Pci express.
Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB
Corsair 1050 watt PSU
Cosmos 2 case.

Windows 7 home premium 64bit installed to the SSD.

So the issue i'm having is in a few games. In Heroes of Newerth i'll be playing and i get a stutter like it's loading something in the background. it only lasts 1-2 seconds then is fine for about 10 min. doesn't seem to be affected by home much is going on on screen.

Second game is the new Xcom game. this happens more frequently and i get a "freeze" audio stops, video stops but i can still move my mouse. if i hit CTRL - ALT - DEL to go to task manager it suddenly starts working again and i can just tab back to it. It becomes more frequent the longer i play the game to the point that it freezes more then it works until i close and restart the game.

The system is new so i don't really have much more then that installed yet. (legends of grimrock seems to be fine so far, but it's not a very intensive game) These games were all loaded with steam onto the SSD.

If you need any more info let me know.

October 26, 2012 1:35:43 PM

which PCIe slot are the drives sitting on?

Have you checked PCI bios settings? have you updated the firmware for the drives?

your driver version for video card has me looping. can you update from nvidia website please. The latest WHQL driver is 306.97, grab that.
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:22:04 PM

Video card in furthest right card slot. (white) the SSD in the single brown slot. - farthest left (it's only one drive the x2 is the speed i think, just what it's called)

I rolled back the video card driver to the 306.97. i was using 310.33 which was beta. i just used java on nvidia's website to detect and it included the beta drivers.

As for bios settings i don't really know what to look for. I have looked but seems normalish in there.

I haven't screwed with firmware as i believe if i do update it that calls for a whole system reinstall. The win 7 drivers were the newest ones available when installed on Monday. (oct 22 / 2012)

m
l
October 29, 2012 9:16:11 PM

I thought for a time that the stuttering had stopped when i rolled back the drivers but it seems to have came back with a ferocity. although not as frequent it seems like it hits a little harder. sounds lame in a tech forum i know but i don't know how else to describe it.

m
l
!