No POST, No beep, Nothing happens on the display!

Oct 26, 2012
Hello,
So, as the topic reads im currently building my own computer. I am not super good with hardware but i think i have a basic understanding of it.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel i3 2120 3.3GHz
PSU: Silerpower - SS500 (500w)
Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M
GPU: HD RADEON 7770
RAM: 1x CORSAIR DDR3-SODIMM-1333 4GB

So, as the topic says, nothing happens on my monitior when i start the computer. But all the fans/LED lights are on!

I have tried this so far without any changes what so ever:
*Start without graphic card
*Start without Graphic card, CD/DVD drive, front USB connectors.
*Resetted CMOS
*Tested monitors on other computer.
* Power cable to: Motherboard, 1 4xpin ATX 12v 1 24xpin, 1 6x to graphic card.
*Tried with my old PSU, nothing happens.
*Tried the MemOK! switch that is located on the motherboard aswell!

I am really cluess of what to do atm, been through alot of other topics and has found nothing that helps me, i am beginning to suspect there might be some hardware issues with compability?

Can provide pictures if it helps!

Best regards

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
bad motherboard or cpu, return it.
You can try and figure out if its the cpu or not by taking the processor out and seeing if any beep codes happen, but this is a 50/50 shot.

Oct 26, 2012
Well returning the CPU/Motherboard aint a possibility, as i bought them a while ago (its the graphic card/PSU i just got and replaced the old parts with.. perhaps i should have mentioned that?) Anyway, will try to remove the CPU/RAM and see if i get any beeps.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Aha, okay. I was just a bit curious - and worried you may have jammed them into the DIMM slots anyway. No problems though.

I'd lean to agree with memadmax, though - it's likely your motherboard or CPU. If possible, try testing your parts with another mobo/proc if you've got any on hand (or a friend who'd be willing to lend you his).

Oct 26, 2012
Ok, my old mobo/proc is not compatible with the new ones so wasnt able to test them idividually. But what i did test was to just try out my old mobo/proc with the new parts, and still, nothing happens... Same as before, no beeps, no Posts, nothing at all on my monitor :S

sounds like to me that your shorting the mb out. did you use all the brass standoff under the mb to keep the mb from shorting out. if you did check the i\o sheild on the back of the mb. a lot of time a finger is too long and will get into the usb or eth port and short the mb out. if your using an aftermarket heat sink check that the metal if it is metal back plate not shorting out the cpu. with the pc connected to the power supply there should be one green led for power good that on. when your power the pc that led should go out and power good green led should come on. the red ram led should blink and turn off. i would pull the gpu and for now just try and post the mb with onboard video. also the 4 pin 12v atx cable is the wrong cable. most new mb you need to connect the eps 12v cable.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/atx-pinout-4-pin-12v-psu.htm
you want to fine the 8 pin eps cable not the 8 pin pci power cable and take the connector apart(most of them are two four pin connector clipped together). if not they make 8 pin to 4 pin eps cables.

Oct 26, 2012

I have a few questions about your reply:

1. - About the I/O shield, i was abit goofy and accidentially lost it, but read up on the use of I/O shields and according to this forum, the I/O shield is there to protect from dust. So, building the comp without it shouldnt be a problem? Or might that be it? Would be kind of odd i think...

2. You said this "if your using an aftermarket heat sink check that the metal if it is metal back plate not shorting out the cpu. with the pc connected to the power supply there should be one green led for power good that on. when your power the pc that led should go out and power good green led should come on. the red ram led should blink and turn off."

- What happens when i start the computer is, all the fans start spinning franticly(normal speed afaik) and one LED light goes green, according to the MB manual, the "Standby Power LED". Nothing else goes green. Nothing else lights up. And according to the manual there are only two LEDs on the board, The standby one and DRAM LED, and the DRAM LED is only supposed to be flashing when there is some error. So...?

3. "i would pull the gpu and for now just try and post the mb with onboard video. also the 4 pin 12v atx cable is the wrong cable. most new mb you need to connect the eps 12v cable."

- Yeah, atm i removed the GPU while trying to get the MB/proc to work. Ok, well the thing is, the cable that came with the PSU was the 12v 4pin ATX cable. What si the difference between that and the EPS 12v cable? (The link you posted, its exactly that cable i have)

"you want to fine the 8 pin eps cable not the 8 pin pci power cable and take the connector apart(most of them are two four pin connector clipped together). if not they make 8 pin to 4 pin eps cables"
- What do you mean by this? I dont really understand, could you elaborate?

Oct 26, 2012
And i did unscrew the mobo and reattached it and made sure att screws where in place etc.
Redid the whole build now, unplugged everything and put it back in, but still the same problem persists!
No POST msgs, no beeps when i turn the computer on and nothing appears on the monitor. The monitor doesnt even "wake up" it only shows a red light, not blue as it usually is when the monitor is recieving a signal.

vaguemedia

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
make sure your dimms are inserted fully. For some reason, it's difficult to seat these properly on some motherboards. push hard!. Had the same issue with an Asus board this year.

Oct 26, 2012
Pushed as hard i could now.. I tried another monitor this time but still, same problem as before :S
Anotherthing i noticed that "maybe" can help.. All the loghts on the keyboard lights up when i start the comp, ie: nom/caps/scroll lock all lights up... does that help in any way? :S

Starting to get really frustrated and sad...

Oct 26, 2012

Nope! Nothing, the only LED that lights up is the "standby" one.

Tried this aswell: Take out the MB of the case and starting it, still nothing. Figured it could be something with the distancers, but apparently not...

Tried again to start it with another PSU but still nothing.