Do surround or eyefinity support portrait-landscape-portrait setups

disolitude

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Greetings,

Do eyefinity or Nvidia surround setups support 3 monitors in different orientations. The one I'm interested in is portrait-landscape-portrait. I've read that you can not mix resolutions, but what if they are the same resolution displays?

Like this -

dragonage.jpg

If not, are there any 3rd party solutions?

Thanks!

Solution
Your monitors have to support the same Horizontal resolution. You cannot (As far as I know) run monitors with alternate resolutions unless you set the horizontal the same on all monitors.

When you setup an eyefinity display group it should accept the default windows settings for you and build your eyefinity display appropriately.

1440x900 _ 1920x1080 _ 1440x900 wont work unless you decrease horizontal resolution on the 1440 monitors to 1080x900.

Best of luck, sorry for the late reply.

disolitude

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Eyefinity does support it? No way... I thought this will be much harder to achieve. Cant wait to try it. Will probably go for Dell 27 inch Ultrasharp and some thin bezel 20 inch monitors for wings. Got to measure before I buy I guess...

sandman_aus

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

HOW?, when I tried it, had wings set to portrait, but when put into Eyefinity, it flipped back. Didnt seem to then have an option to change it. I cant find an answer to the portrait-landscape-portrait question anywheres!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Your monitors have to support the same Horizontal resolution. You cannot (As far as I know) run monitors with alternate resolutions unless you set the horizontal the same on all monitors.

When you setup an eyefinity display group it should accept the default windows settings for you and build your eyefinity display appropriately.

1440x900 _ 1920x1080 _ 1440x900 wont work unless you decrease horizontal resolution on the 1440 monitors to 1080x900.

Best of luck, sorry for the late reply.

Solution
G

You are contradicting yourself...
Same HORIZONTAL resolution, is NOT setting the wing-monitors to 1080x900.
If your 'solution' would work, my setup would have no problems: 20" running 1200x1600 - 30" running 2560x1600 - 20" running 1200x1600. (Yes I typed the resolutions correct, since I set my wing-monitor in portrait mode).
I couldn't get Eyefinity to get my PLP setup to work correctly. So what is the catch here...?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Start your own thread if you would like support instead of trolling me for providing what the OP has marked as the correct answer. I will give you this much without opening a new thread. The error is between the keyboard and the chair.

Ruud Kuijer

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Sorry if you think I am trolling. That was not the intention here.
I was trying to understand what your suggested solution is.
Excuse me for replying late as well... we moved, so had other priorities.
Thing is that I was testing a ATi-card from a friend of mine trying to get PLP working (in my previous reply). The same 'problem' as the OP (why open more threads if they serve the same solution).
Now that I bought a 797OC myself, I am still curious if Eyefinity can handle PLP. I cannot seem to get the right settings.

Closing your answer with an insult is not very contributory... didn't expect that of a person with your reputation.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So you decided to necro this post again.. That's twice, and while you may take my short reply as an insult, the computer just does what its told. The parts in the computer, the software installed, the configuration of that software, the connections to the monitors were all setup by someone between the keyboard and chair. If the parts aren't working the way you intended, where does the fault lie?

Here is a more PC answer for.

Say you have three monitors, two are 1280x1024 and one is 1080p. The 1280x1024 have verticale swapping built into them (this is needed for this type of setup and many dell's and other manufactures montiors including the ones pictured do.)

Turn your two 1280x1024 monitors on their side, the resolutions should automatically switch to 3x4 instead of 4x3 thus 1024x1280 resolution. Set your wing monitors to a custom resolution of 1024x1080, create an eyfinity display group with them, start your game.

Enjoy

NoAccountHere

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013

Except this does not work. You cannot create an eyefinity display group with monitors in different orientations. Regardless of their resolution settings, it will not allow you to do it. Same with Nvidia surround.

Your only option is to run a game in windowed mode and span it across the 3 or hope the game suports multimonitors - like Strike Suit Zero.