Sign in with
Your question

SLI video card proplems/questions with FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2012 7:53:59 PM

Hey All,

So this is my 1st post here. Let me give you a quick rundown... I just built my 1st computer (hardware listed below). I basically taught myself through online forums and youtube. I had a little help from my 1 friend that is into computers but I have pretty much already surpassed his knowledge. However, due to me not having someone to ask questions my knowledge is here and there and has a ton of holes in it. I built my own computer because I'm a huge WoW/Rift player and do a lot of video editing. I also like doing things myself so felt building was the way to go. So far everything has been great and I'm pretty proud of myself for the fact it started up and has been running solid for over a month. But I need some help....

Hardware:

Processor:
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard:
ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Cards (x2) in SLI:
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Power Supply:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
Memory (x6) (24gb total):
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
Hard Drives:
2x OCZ Vertex3 SSD 256gb (Individual) (1 for OS and CS6 Master Suit. Other for my games)
2x Hitachi HDD 1TB (Raid 1) (for my storage)
Window 7 x64bit

My problem or concern...

I'm sure WoW is a bad example but its all I know when talking FPS. With my video cards in SLI mode I get anywhere from 55-60 FPS. I thought these cards were pretty epic and would blow my FPS through the roof but its not looking like it at this point. I know both cards are working via CPUID. I'm not sure if that FPS is correct or if I'm doing something wrong. I am running WoW on Ultra settings and I haven't overclocked anything yet. (Still researching it and water cooling) Here is the weird thing... I was doing research last night on ways to pump up my FPS and downloaded MSI Afterburner. When Afterburner is open my FPS jump from 80-1200FPS in WoW (depending on where I am and what I'm doing in the game). I haven't even touched anything in Afterburner yet. Also when my FPS gets this high the temp on one is at 75-85C and the other one is 65-75C. I know GPUs run a little hotter then CPUs but isn't that a bit high? All I want is for a really high semi-consistent frame rate. I know the human eye can only see 25-30 FPS but I just hear ppl saying they get 200+ FPS with these cards and that makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. What am I missing if anything at all?

My future plan is to water cool and OC the CPU and GPUs but I want to make sure I have decent knowledge on my system now so I can compare and change things when I do OC.

Thanks a ton in advance and sorry if I rambled. I just want to make sure I explain everything and get the correct answers. Please let me know if you all need any more info.

a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 30, 2012 8:26:49 PM

The fps looks like a vsync issue but your temps are fine.
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:19:45 AM

Ok so do I want vsync enabled or disabled for gaming?
m
l
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 31, 2012 4:16:34 PM

Disable it in the NV control panel and in each game that is giving low FPS and see what happens.
m
l
September 1, 2012 4:02:37 AM

That gives me just around 100 FPS which I'm personally fine with. I think I'm just going to stick with this until I do enough research on water cooling and OC and can do that. Thanks for the help.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 7:15:25 AM

NP.
m
l
!