I give up. breaking point

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Let me start with specs ; nothing is overclocked/underclocked unless i've been testing. I also apologize for the wall of text, any questions please ask me because i'm at the end of my tether.

i5 760
radeon 7850
gigabyte p55 ud3l
OCZ 700w psu
4 gb geil ram, 4 gb generic ram (i swap them out, running on just the geil atm, dont like to mix)
creative audigy soundcard
windows xp sp 3

Right, since I built the PC i've been having issues with the graphics drivers. Mainly ''ATI display driver has stopped responding'' or BSOD during games where the screen would freeze, then the sound would loop forcing me to physically turn the pc off. I was using a old GPU and PSU and have tried 3 different OS, they have been replaced since. So thinking it was the GPU (obviously), I recently got a 7850. Same issue. Testing my card in FuMark would shut the pc down completely after 10 seconds so I invested in a new PSU. FuMark runs fine now.

The problem i'm getting is still ''VPU recover'' on XP or ''display driver has stopped responding'' on Windows 7. This can occur 5 times in 10 minutes, or twice in a hour. Theres no pattern nor can I reproduce it outside of gaming. Before it happens the game runs flawlessly. Skyrim/Arma 2 and Dead Island will crash, but Fifa 12 works perfectly at a steady locked 60 FPS. My temperatures are also flawless idle and on load and the PSU is brand new so i'm safely counting both those things out. I've re-installed and installed every graphics driver, from the CD-ROM and also the AMD website (in safe mode of course, using driver sweeper everytime to remove). Nothing. I've updated BIOS, changed some bios settings, reverted to failsafe/optimal defaults. Physically cleaned the PC, re formatted and re installed the OS. Swapped ram slots. Used the Geil ram or generic RAM. Nothing.

So -

FuMark runs flawlessly, good temps for a stress test and good FPS for ANY amount of time. Which points toward possibly a software issue. Now, I would run Prime 95 but re-seating my heatsink fan I snapped 2 of the pins so I'm not gonna try it. Currently using 2 pins and 2 cable ties, haha. Temps are fine, just ordered another heatsink fan right away. One thing I did notice is on Prime 95 during the ''blend'' test I'd get ''rounding error, 0.5 expected 0.4 ''which I've heard points towards ram error. And my slots/settings are temperamental. The GEIL ram boots fine in any combo, the generic will boot and work SOMETIMES. I can boot with it and surf the net, then when I turn the PC back on it won't post. 90% of the time I use the GEIL ram though so the error still occurs even if that RAM is bad. Then i'll get the ''computer didn't boot due to voltages'' and something about overclocking. Both ram is DDR3, only difference one is CL8 one is CL9 but i've tried adjusting the timings, no luck.

Any ideas? I've actually replaced the GPU and PSU in a month as they've been cited as the reasons. Now someone is gonna tell me to replace the RAM or mobo, so i'm hoping it's a bios setting or software based..

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Looks like another part to replace haha. I'm literally gonna end up with a completely different PC to when I started. Seen some 2 x 4 gb corsair vengeance ram for 25, so i'm gonna order that too. I bet that RAM that i'll still get the same problem though :D

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Yup, it happens on windows 7 though! I had a dual boot before I reformatted because I produce music and XP is pretty sweet to use because it's just basic. Might try windows 7 again as I haven't with the new card - currently playing fifa 12 flawlessly at 60 fps with no errors. What gives?

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
The GEIL memory is PR DDR 132G 2gb PC3 10660 CL9 - 9 9 9 9 24, 1.5v. Thats what it says on the sticker anyway. And i'm not running the other generic set of ram because it seems to cause issues - not posting, then posting fine but not working on restart for example. Thats probably because the generic ram has different timings but changing them manually in bios makes no difference? This copy of XP is 32 bit but my Win7 is 64 bit and I was getting the stupid ''hardware'' reserved and it wasn't picking up the 4gb. Sometimes it would see it in bios too, sometimes not.

The GEIL works fine, posts everytime and is detected so I use that 99% of the time and still get errors..

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Just want to add i've re-installed windows 7 and within 2 minutes of the first game I played I got display driver issues or just flat out freezing and ''not responding'' during the same games. Bare in mind all I have is windows 7, steam, latest graphics drivers, direct x updated and the games installed. Even crashed running at 800x600!!

Even checked my hard disk, fine. I don't get why FuMark has NO display driver issue yet a game on low at 800x600 crashes in 2 minutes.

I will pay in love and money if anybody can help. 6 months, 5 forums and counting till someone works it out...

First of all, take out your sound card. It might not be the root of the issue, but it might be. Worth testing.

Secondly, download memtest tool from www.memtest.org and let it pass at least 4 times.

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Just ran memtest.

Got to the 2 hour mark, then got 4 errors in quick succession and quit as i've heard 1 error is one too many. Now, I've ordered replacement RAM already, some corsair kit, but would that be the reason behind my display driver/vpu recover and game hangs? FuMark doesn't stress the RAM and it passes FuMark fine so logically i'm presuming it will be? Also i've tried nearly every software fix and also purchased a new GPU and a new PSU and the issue remains..

Also what is the likelyhood of it being the RAM itself and not the mobo slots? I'm gonna test 1 slot tonight overnight, and 1 slot while i'm out tomorrow and leave the other 2 as I'm just gonna gamble on it being the RAM and see how I go with the corsair kit.

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hopefully the new ram solves it.

One more question, i'm looking for 4gb modules but in the memory support list for my mobo (gigabyte us3l) only lists one module (kingston). Would...

http://www.uk-computers.co.uk/pgProduct.cfm?Product=15892_156_1173859-C-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-Corsair_CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9_RAM_Module_8_GB_2_x_4_GB_DDR3_SDRAM_1600_MHz_DDR3_1600_PC3_12800_Non_ECC_Unbuffered_240_pin_DIMM

...still be fine for that board? Here's the specs of the mobo. It's 1600mhz so will underclocking it to 1333 be okay? I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to ram and compatability..

1.4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
2.Dual channel memory architecture
3.Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
4.Support for non-ECC memory modules
5.Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Sorted. Thats ordered. I'll update this thread when it arrives because it's always nice if anybody else has the same issue and I manage to solve it.

Slightly off topic but can you recommend a socket 1156 heatsink fan that's inexpensive (£10-20) ? I'm not planning on any real overclocks, hell the intel stock fan for £5 uk price kept my CPU at 45 during gaming on stock.

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Can't edit posts for some strange reason so I apologise for all my double posting.

I bought them as part of a mobo bundle a year and a half ago - I'll have to check on the warranty as they're a bundle to be honest with you. I genuinely never thought of that haha. Thanks man, i'll get onto them.

*edit (if it works)* Turns out it had a 1 year warranty, and I would have to return the whole board. Damn.