Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Sabertooth X79 Raid setup

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 5:19:07 PM

I built the system-Asus Sabertooth X79, Corsair Veng 32 BG Ram, MSI GeForce Gt 670 GPU Samsung SSD 830 256 GB, and 3 TB Seagate Data Drive. I also have a DVD Optical Drive and BD burner. I installed Win & Professional. Everything is working beautifully. I decided to add another 3 TB Western Digital to make a Raid 1 set up. When I leave the bios in ACHI mode, I can seel all my drives( SSD, 2 3TB Data Drives and 2 Optical). When I change the Bios Sata to Raid, I see only my SSD(Boot Drive) and one 3TB Data Drive. I am missing the ODDs and the other 3 TB Drive. I am unable to enter IRST mode by pressing Control <I>. What is going? I am at a loss. When I change the bios everything reappears. Help??
November 4, 2012 7:03:44 PM

I'm building a system as well with the Sabertooth X79. From what my research gathered you can't change over to a RAID set-up under the BIOS for the Intel/ASMedia controller if you already installed the operating system under the ACHI mode.

I think you got two options at this point depending on what your needs are. If you are pretty set on wanting the operating system on the Raid set-up you have to do a clean reinstall with the RAID option selected for the controller in BIOS. The info on this is under the 4.4 section in the manual on page 4-20 onwards.

The alternative to this would be if you only wanted the RAID for a data set-up - this is what I have. I put two SSDs on the Marvell controller and created a Raid Mirror in the Marvell Bios (Ctrl + M during post).

After that you go into the manage option by right clicking on computer under the start menu and finish the set-up under "Disk Management" which is a subcategory of Storage. Hope this helps.
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:30:52 PM

Thank you very much for your kind reply. It took me sometime, but I figured it out. I needed to connect the two 6gb Sata connectors of the same group ( the first two connectors to the data drives) and not any random Sata connectors, the computer recognizes all the drives and I was able to set up as Raid Volume 1 as a mirror setup. I also needed to copy IRST Drivers into a USB Flash Drive. Once you change the bios from AHCI to Raid, I needed to copy the Intel Drivers from the USB Flash Drive, then everything magically works, including the OPtical Drives. It took some time to understand all this, but I did not need to reinstall my Win 7 OS. ( I used the top two Sata Connectors to my Data Drives and Marvel Connector to the SSD Drive)
Thank you so much for your kind help.
intimategems said:
I'm building a system as well with the Sabertooth X79. From what my research gathered you can't change over to a RAID set-up under the BIOS for the Intel/ASMedia controller if you already installed the operating system under the ACHI mode.

I think you got two options at this point depending on what your needs are. If you are pretty set on wanting the operating system on the Raid set-up you have to do a clean reinstall with the RAID option selected for the controller in BIOS. The info on this is under the 4.4 section in the manual on page 4-20 onwards.

The alternative to this would be if you only wanted the RAID for a data set-up - this is what I have. I put two SSDs on the Marvell controller and created a Raid Mirror in the Marvell Bios (Ctrl + M during post).

After that you go into the manage option by right clicking on computer under the start menu and finish the set-up under "Disk Management" which is a subcategory of Storage. Hope this helps.

m
l
!