Sign in with
Your question

PC gaming improvement

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2012 11:34:48 PM

Ok i'm a WoW and Diablo player, both games that require some graphical performance. I got my pc for about 3 years, and instead thinking about buying another pc for better gaming experience, i'm considering upgrading some hardware. Question is what hardware will give me the most benefit, looking at price/upgrade-boost.

These are my hardware Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Display Memory: 2287 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My pc score determined by windows:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/619/11166691.png

Looking at this score my primary hard disk is behind on quality it seems. The graphic card scores pretty average.

I'd like to run both games on high/ultra settings, with a maximum framerate. What are my options to get that?

Thank you for reading/replying

More about : gaming improvement

a c 103 U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 11:42:07 PM

WEI is a horrible metric.

All platter drives will cap out at 5.9, to go above that you need an SSD

The 8800 GT was a budget card when it came out, it's horrendous by today's standard. Grab yourself a brand new graphics card
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2012 11:53:29 PM

What PSU do you have, and how many volts on the 12v rails(s)? Yes, that is a horribly old GPU in 2012.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 12:04:36 AM

yow_03 said:
Ok i'm a WoW and Diablo player, both games that require some graphical performance. I got my pc for about 3 years, and instead thinking about buying another pc for better gaming experience, i'm considering upgrading some hardware. Question is what hardware will give me the most benefit, looking at price/upgrade-boost.

These are my hardware Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Display Memory: 2287 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

My pc score determined by windows:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/619/11166691.png

Looking at this score my primary hard disk is behind on quality it seems. The graphic card scores pretty average.

I'd like to run both games on high/ultra settings, with a maximum framerate. What are my options to get that?

Thank you for reading/replying

The 8800 GT shouldn't have too much of an issue pushing 1680x1050, but I think a GPU upgrade would definitely yield the most benefit. If you aren't going to game at 1080, something like a 7770 would be great. You could also get an aftermarket cooler and OC a bit. As for the Hard disk, it has just about zero impact on FPS. It only impacts loading times.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:05:32 AM

BigMack70 said:
The 8800GT was hardly a "budget" card when it came out. In fact, most games are still playable on an 8800GT.

Anyways, a graphics card upgrade is what will yield the best performance in your rig. You'll need to spend at least $100 for a 7770 to get something appreciably better than an 8800GT, though.

When it came out was what, 5yrs ago? Your average phone has more graphical grunt. Most games that are playable would be barely 1280x720 @ maximum ugly graphic settings. I'd upgrade to a 7870 at least.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:43:44 AM

If your 8800gt is not yet overclocked you could get a nice little boost doing so.

I don't know about that shared memory stuff, but it seems you may have an integrated
graphics processor on your mobo that is hogging some of your ram. If that is the case,
see about disabling it in the bios.

What is your power supply? How many amps on the +12v rail(s)? I looked up the tdp of
the 8800gt on wikipedia and it says 125w, but that seems a little high to me. I am
guessing you have at least 1 pcie 6pin lead coming from your power supply.

How many expansion slots do you have at the back of your case and how many of them
have a card in them? Is your 8800gt a single slot card or dual slot? How much do you plan
on spending on a gpu upgrade.?

As a few others have suggested, I think you may do well with a radeon hd 7770(space
permitting). Even if you overclocked it pretty hard you shouldn't surpass the tdp of your
old 8800gt. A HD7850 is supposedly only 5w more, but it's practically a crime not to
overclock a 28nm gpu, and that could make your power consumption rise to point that
your power supply can't handle(depending on what it is/its specs.
August 31, 2012 9:22:20 AM

jtenorj said:
If your 8800gt is not yet overclocked you could get a nice little boost doing so.

I don't know about that shared memory stuff, but it seems you may have an integrated
graphics processor on your mobo that is hogging some of your ram. If that is the case,
see about disabling it in the bios.

What is your power supply? How many amps on the +12v rail(s)? I looked up the tdp of
the 8800gt on wikipedia and it says 125w, but that seems a little high to me. I am
guessing you have at least 1 pcie 6pin lead coming from your power supply.

How many
do you have at the back of your case and how many of them
have a card in them? Is your 8800gt a single slot card or dual slot? How much do you plan
on spending on a gpu upgrade.?

As a few others have suggested, I think you may do well with a radeon hd 7770(space
permitting). Even if you overclocked it pretty hard you shouldn't surpass the tdp of your
old 8800gt. A HD7850 is supposedly only 5w more, but it's practically a crime not to
overclock a 28nm gpu, and that could make your power consumption rise to point that
your power supply can't handle(depending on what it is/its specs.

PSU:
COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO M2 520W
ATX12V 2.3
230V power suply

My 8800gt is a dual slot.

Expanding slots:
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/3082/p1040655l.jpg

Budget: not sure, depends on the improvement it will bring me. My pc can run both games good, just not on optimal settings. If i can run the games on ultra with for example the 7770 or 7870 i will consider spending a bit more.

Thanks
August 31, 2012 1:53:18 PM

The 8800gt is the best bang-for-buck card I ever owned. For 2.5 years it played every game I bought at high settings. Sure it's obsolete today, but back then it was one of the best mainstream cards you could get. It wasn't a "budget" card!
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 2:04:28 PM

8800 GT is around level of HD 6670. That isn't terrible for a 5 year old card.

However, I'd suggest upgrading to at least GTX 560 Ti/HD 7850 levels if you want to see a nice improvement. HD 7870 will run most games on ultra, with very few exceptions (Witcher 2, Metro 2033).
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 5:19:36 PM

Here is the Tom's hardware article testing various GPUs and CPUs with WoW cataclysm:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...

Read the first few pages to know that for their testing methods to be repeatable, your in
game fps in towns and raids will be lower than they got by a bit. A gpu w/dx11 should
give you a performance boost if you do the edit mentioned in the article.

They used an overclocked i7 980x hexacore to test the GPUs and a gtx480 to test cpu
scaling. I'm guessing your Phenom II x4 at 3.4ghz would average close to 60fps with a
higher end gpu. hd7770(between hd4870/5770 and hd6850) is dx11 but has only
128 bit memory bus. Ultra settings should be fine, but your fps might chug if you crank
aa up to 8x. With a tdp of 80w, overclocking the core to 1200(no voltage change) and
the memory should boost performance higher and keep you under 96w. You would
need to adjust the power tune slider in the driver. Also suggest MSI afterburner soft-
ware(free download) to oc with( set fan speed, gpu and memory clocks, etc.)

You mean diablo 3, right?
Managed to locate an article on anandtech where they ran D3 on a few laptops:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5865/laptop-graphics-face...

All the GPUs are lower performance than a HD7770, and the intel CPUs never got any
where near even their base clocks, let alone turbo speeds. Your cpu shouldn't bottle-
neck a more powerful gpu like hd7770. Based on article comments and the results for
old ruins at 1080p/max settings, the HD7770 should provide playable frame rates even
if you are in end game battles on the highest difficulty(cuts frame rates in half). If you
try it on a non oc 7770 and it is a little choppy for you, overclock some and it should fix
that problem.(basing it on 1080p cuz their next level down was 1600x900 which is
1.44 mpixels while your lcd is about 1.8 and 1080p is about 2.1)

You can see in hardocp's Feb. 14th launch article of hd7770 that it matched the game-
play experience of hd6870 and gtx560ti. It was a xfx somewhat overclocked out of the
box, but they got it running even faster pretty easily. More recent drivers from AMD have
improved performance on these GCN based cards notably. Here's that article:

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/02/14/xfx_r7770_black_e...

Of course, prices are much lower now than at launch. What site/shop might you be
buying a new card from? If you tell us your country, state/province and city, we may
be able to give you more specific purchasing suggestions.

I found this short, 1 page thread in the Tom's hardware forums in regards to your PSU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/342099-28-cooler-mast...

I don't think I would get a card that would much surpass your 8800gt's tdp. That means
if I were you, I would skip the 7850. I think wikipedia is wrong about the
tdp on 8800gt and it should be closer to 105w-110w.

Actually, here is a comparison of all nvidia graphics processors (starting w/geforce8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graph...

Newer models and mobile models (like in the anandtech article) are on down the page.

You can click the link to the geforce 8 series page at the top. the master chart for all
geforces has the tdp at 125w, but in the chart on the geforce 8 page it's 105w. I really
think the master chart is wrong and the geforce 8 page is right. At the bottom of the
page with the master comparison chart is a link to specs 4 all amd graphics processors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics...

you can look at specs for hd6000/7000 series cards you might consider as well as the
specs for the mobile radeons from the anandtech article. I hope some/all of this helps.

P.S. I imagine you have been updating your drivers over the years, and if you go amd
you will definitely want to remove all trace of nvidia drivers from your system. see about
downloading catalyst 12.6, 12.7 and 12.8 and running them each separately to find which
would work best with your games/card(7770?). Of course when swapping between
various driver versions you also want to remove all trace of a swapped out driver before
installing another one. You can also google the combo of driver version, card and game
to give you an idea of any possible issues and which driver would be best.

And yes, I'm pushing hd7770. It's your best combo of price, performance and power usage
that will let you play your games maxed out on your monitor without changing your
cpu/mobo, case or power supply.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 6:05:19 PM

Oh yeah, an ssd may dramatically reduce your load times in WoW compared to your hdd.
Here in the US, one can find a sata 3 120-128GB ssd for well under 100 bucks. That
should be more than enough capacity to install windows, your games and any other
programs you use to get the speedup it would afford them(faster windows boot times,
faster application launches, and generally faster system response times). SSDs use less
power than HDDs as well.

For less than the price of a 7850(about 200), you could get both a 7770(about 100)and
an ssd(less than 100) and boost overall system performance(US prices).
August 31, 2012 7:38:33 PM

jtenorj said:
Oh yeah, an ssd may dramatically reduce your load times in WoW compared to your hdd.
Here in the US, one can find a sata 3 120-128GB ssd for well under 100 bucks. That
should be more than enough capacity to install windows, your games and any other
programs you use to get the speedup it would afford them(faster windows boot times,
faster application launches, and generally faster system response times). SSDs use less
power than HDDs as well.

For less than the price of a 7850(about 200), you could get both a 7770(about 100)and
an ssd(less than 100) and boost overall system performance(US prices).

Thanks for your info. Looking at the system requirements for both the 7770 and 7850, they recommend:

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended
600W power supply (or greater) with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFireâ„¢ technology.

Will my 520W carry this card? I'm not entirely sure with the one or two pin connectors.
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:52:27 PM

Your power supply will work with either of those cards. It's a VERY decent unit, though I could say it's pretty expensive too :) .
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 8:19:08 PM

Sorry. I guess I didn't do enough research about your power supply.

According to Cooler Master's web site, your psu has 40A on a single 12v rail and 2 pcie
6+2pin connectors. So for both of those cards they suggest 500w for one card and 600w
for 2 cards? Hmm...

Did you read the link in my earlier post to the thread here about your power supply?

Based on that, you might not want to put in a more power hungry card than the one
you already have(8800gt=105w). The 7770 is 80w(96w if OCed to 1200mhz with no
added voltage) and the 7850 is 130w(before overclocking).

2 6pin connectors is only if you either:

do crossfire with 2 of those cards(if your motherboard supports it w/2 PEG slots), or

get an even more power hungry card that requires 2 pcie 6 pin leads all by itself.
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 8:47:20 PM

I still recommend you getting HD 7850 if you can afford it. Your power supply is more than enough for it.

Buying HD 7770 would be a waste, as it's barely faster than your current card.
August 31, 2012 9:45:15 PM

jtenorj said:
Sorry. I guess I didn't do enough research about your power supply.

According to Cooler Master's web site, your psu has 40A on a single 12v rail and 2 pcie
6+2pin connectors. So for both of those cards they suggest 500w for one card and 600w
for 2 cards? Hmm...

Did you read the link in my earlier post to the thread here about your power supply?

Based on that, you might not want to put in a more power hungry card than the one
you already have(8800gt=105w). The 7770 is 80w(96w if OCed to 1200mhz with no
added voltage) and the 7850 is 130w(before overclocking).

2 6pin connectors is only if you either:

do crossfire with 2 of those cards(if your motherboard supports it w/2 PEG slots), or

get an even more power hungry card that requires 2 pcie 6 pin leads all by itself.

Yes Wikipedia in your link about the TDP is not right, the 8800gt is actually 105W in stead of 125W. It gives me an indication of what my pc is currently running.

About getting an more hungry card with 2 pcie 6 pin: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

This one comes very good out of the reviews that i've read, and is ofcourse more expensive. Though i don't mind, and would appreciate to hear your opinion about me possibly pursuing that. Will my pc be a bit of a handicap for that graphic card?

The GTX 660 Ti requires 150W TDP, that's almost half the TDP more than my current card, will my pc support this one?
August 31, 2012 10:05:48 PM

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti requires a minimum 450W PSU. The 520W will do just fine i guess.

What remains: Will my PC handycap this GPU?
a c 290 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 10:54:55 PM

No. You've got a very decent CPU, so it will most handicap the GPU.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 12:49:20 AM

Is your Phenom II x4 955 the 140w black edition w/unlocked multiplier? Is it a non-
black edition at 125w(or still 140w)? Your 8800gt is 105w, plus you have the power
circuitry on the mobo, the lan chip, sound codec, USB powered devices, HDD, optical,
and cpu and case fans too. Oh, and the motherboard chipset too. And any other cards
you may have installed in other expansion slots. Oh, system memory too.

Some sites do what they refer to as "reviews" of power supplies, but what they are
really doing is giving you a sort of preview. They load it up with components and if
it doesn't melt down, "Hey, it's great!" Actual reviews use load testers and other
equipment to test both a PSU's ripple(goes toward long term life and stability of
system components) and the units ability to deliver it's rated wattage(or possibly
even more in a truly high quality unit).

Some "80+" power supplies use such low quality internal components that they
burn when you try to load them with 50-67% of their rated wattage.

80+ is crap. That certification tests power supplies at room temperature, but most
people run their psu inside a case with warmer than ambient air, and heat kills a
PSU's efficiency. Some high quality units(some of Corsair's psu lines) can deliver more
than their rated wattage with actual 80+ efficiency at REAL temps, but they self-devalue
them from say gold to silver or silver to bronze in marketing because while they may
achieve those specs at unrealistically low temperatures, they meet the specs they
list at real temps(they do this as a service to the customer).

Plus, your PSU is not new. If you've been using it for several years, it will no longer
deliver as much power as it was able to once. I really wouldn't chance loading it up
with much more(or any more) than it's previous load. It's your call.
September 1, 2012 12:57:33 AM

Smeg45 said:
What PSU do you have, and how many volts on the 12v rails(s)?

How many volts on +12V rail? I can bet it's 12...
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 1:05:23 AM

Sunius said:
I still recommend you getting HD 7850 if you can afford it. Your power supply is more than enough for it.

That remains to be seen(7850 on that psu).

Sunius said:

Buying HD 7770 would be a waste, as it's barely faster than your current card.

If 8800gt is roughly equivalent to hd5670/6670, and hd7770 is over twice as fast those
2 radeons, then hd7770 is over twice as fast as 8800gt.

If you factor in overclocking(8800gt from 600/1500 to 700/1750), hd7770 is even faster
(1000 to 1200). 8800gt may have to violate reference tdp to get there, but a hd7770 that
isn't overvolted won't even get close to 8800gt's reference tdp.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 1:43:19 AM

yow_03 said:
About getting an more hungry card with 2 pcie 6 pin: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

This one comes very good out of the reviews that i've read, and is ofcourse more expensive. Though i don't mind, and would appreciate to hear your opinion about me possibly pursuing that. Will my pc be a bit of a handicap for that graphic card?

The GTX 660 Ti requires 150W TDP, that's almost half the TDP more than my current card, will my pc support this one?

Yes, the 660ti is a very good card for the price(300usd). The 7950 is an even better card
for that price, but has even higher tdp. Both these cards shine when you overclock them,
but that makes them have an still higher tdp. Also, a gtx660ti would be good at a res of
2560x1600/1440(over twice your res) and a hand overclocked 7950(or maybe one with
the new bios) would be good at 3x1080p(over 3x your resolution). You don't need a card
that powerful. Unless you want to get both a new gpu and psu with an eye toward a
larger monitor or several monitors in the relatively near future, an hd7770(esp. OCed)
should serve you well for several years.

While the Phenom II x4 955 is a pretty good cpu, I would worry about it bottlenecking
a card much more powerful than an hd7770. If you want to ensure you won't bottleneck
a more powerful card, you may be looking at a relatively complete system overhaul
(i5 cpu, mobo, possibly a new copy of windows if your current 1 is an oem version, and
maybe new ram, too).
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 4:09:30 AM

He doesn't need a system overhaul dude... There's no way it will bottleneck something like HD 7850/GTX 660 Ti. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but his power supply is good enough for HD 7850/GTX 660 Ti.

Yesterday my friend upgraded to GTX 560 from HD 3650, it was a huge upgrade. Guess what, his CPU was much weaker than the OPs (Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz). And it doesn't bottleneck. So yea, you don't need a totally new CPU if you're buying a new card. OPs Phenom is around equal i3/Pentium in performance.
September 1, 2012 7:49:01 AM

My Phenom(tm) II x4 955 CPU is a black edition at 140w.

Thanks for the help. I will think about it..and probably end up taking the risk with the 660ti.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:38:36 AM

Best of luck to you.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 1:34:58 PM

I'm glad you've made a choice :) . You for sure will not be disappointed!
September 1, 2012 7:00:16 PM

yow_03 said:
My Phenom(tm) II x4 955 CPU is a black edition at 140w.

Thanks for the help. I will think about it..and probably end up taking the risk with the 660ti.

660Ti is overkill for 1680x1050 resolution. Like I said, youre 8800GT shouldn't have problems because it's not really a high resolution, especially if you are playing CPU-bound games. A 7770 is the more sensible upgrade considering it's 1/3 the price of a 660-Ti and you aren't going to push either to it's limits at that resolution. So, unless you upgrade the monitor as well, stick with the 7770 and save up for a new system.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:04:42 PM

HD 7770 IS NOT AN UPGRADE. Seriously. It's not overkill. It's still struggle to max games like Witcher 2 and Metro 2033. Why shouldn't he buy a great card just because it will max most games?
September 1, 2012 7:30:37 PM

Sunius said:
HD 7770 IS NOT AN UPGRADE. Seriously. It's not overkill. It's still struggle to max games like Witcher 2 and Metro 2033. Why shouldn't he buy a great card just because it will max most games?

That maybe the case at 1080p, but the OP is not running 1080. Resolution has a huge impact on performance. Blacklight Retribution brings my 5830 to its knees at 1080p (30-40 FPS) on the lowest settings and vsync disabled. Down to 1366x768 and Blacklight Retribution becomes a light breeze for the 5830 at high settings (60FPS with V-Sync). And if you are implying the 7770 is as weak as the 8800GT, you are huffing some serious industrial-strength super glue.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:32:42 PM

Quote:
And if you are implying the 7770 is as weak as the 8800GT, you are huffing some serious industrial-strength super glue.

If you think it's not, you shouldn't be even advising him what to upgrade. HD 7770 is barely better than 8800 GT.

As for GTX 660 Ti: I'm well aware of his resolution, and I'm still sure it will not max out all the games.
September 1, 2012 7:37:23 PM

Sunius said:
Quote:
And if you are implying the 7770 is as weak as the 8800GT, you are huffing some serious industrial-strength super glue.

If you think it's not, you shouldn't be even advising him what to upgrade. HD 7770 is barely better than 8800 GT.

As for GTX 660 Ti: I'm well aware of his resolution, and I'm still sure it will not max out all the games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/521?vs=536
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:42:26 PM

That proves nothing. Remember, those tests were made with totally different CPUs - 8800 GT was released way back. Check the hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...

8800 GT is around equal to HD 7770. And to anyone who owns HD 6670 I wouldn't recommend upgrading to HD 7770, because the upgrade would be trivial.
September 1, 2012 7:57:19 PM

Sunius said:
That proves nothing. Remember, those tests were made with totally different CPUs - 8800 GT was released way back. Check the hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...

8800 GT is around equal to HD 7770. And to anyone who owns HD 6670 I wouldn't recommend upgrading to HD 7770, because the upgrade would be trivial.

On top of the chart being dated (you know, before the driver updates from AMD which boasted performance boosts), the chart doesn't have concrete numbers. These are all estimates. And the 7770 is still 3 tiers above the 8800GT. Even to your own sources, that would be like saying the 560-Ti wouldn't be an upgrade to the GTX 260.

BTW, the 8800 Ultra is a totally different animal than the 8800GT, based on different chips and a different fab process.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 8:28:33 PM

I know that. Sure, it will be an upgrade, but it won't be miracles. He will not be able to max out games with HD 7770, and he might be able to set settings 1 tier higher. That isn't much.

As for driver performance boost - that only applied to reference cards. And the boost was so little that it's not even worth debating about it.

Since the OP has the budget for a card like GTX 660 Ti, which will be TREMENDOUS increase in power, why shouldn't be buy it again? It will let him max out most games, and that's what OP is aiming for - which HD 7770 will not let to do.
September 1, 2012 9:39:52 PM

Sunius said:
I know that. Sure, it will be an upgrade, but it won't be miracles. He will not be able to max out games with HD 7770, and he might be able to set settings 1 tier higher. That isn't much.

The 7770 is twice as fast the 8800GT and consumes much less power. It might not max out games, but it will most definitely reach high settings with little problems at his resolution, which is what he wants.

Quote:
As for driver performance boost - that only applied to reference cards. And the boost was so little that it's not even worth debating about it.
It's still a 7770. The difference between a custom 7770 and a reference 7770 are binning, PCB's, power delivery, and possibly clocks. The chip itself is the same, and changes ultimately boil down to temperatures, OC potential, and noise levels. Unless you get an overclocked model, the performance is the exact same between reference and after-market and the software/drivers they run are the same.

Quote:
Since the OP has the budget for a card like GTX 660 Ti, which will be TREMENDOUS increase in power, why shouldn't be buy it again? It will let him max out most games, and that's what OP is aiming for - which HD 7770 will not let to do.

The OP also has a set goal. The 7770 would also accomplish the goals. He never stated max settings, he stated high/ultra. In a lot games, there are graphics settings that are beyond ultra presets, and those are considered "max." I'm not totally against the 660-Ti, but the performance returns diminish rather quickly compared to 7770, especially at the resolution. Even at max settings, the 660-Ti wouldn't be fully utilized at those settings. Bear in mind the only difference between the 660-Ti and 670 is memory bandwidth, and that difference becomes less apparent at lower resolutions. The OP really wants to max graphics, a 7850 would be more appropriate, but at the end of the day, the 7770 does high graphics settings at specified resolution, and is significantly faster than the 8800GT. I honestly have no idea where you're getting the 7770 is the same as an 8800GT. Again, the performance difference is a factor of 2.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 10:32:54 PM

List a single game in which Ultra isn't max preset.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 10:38:10 PM

Sunius said:

Doom
September 1, 2012 10:57:12 PM

Sunius said:

Rome: Total War. If you want a more modern example, you're going to have to wait until I'm at my gaming computer.
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 11:16:36 PM

What ever. Let's end this useless discussion; the OP has already decided. Us discussing it further will only result in a closed thread.
September 1, 2012 11:22:56 PM

Sunius said:
What ever. Let's end this useless discussion; the OP has already decided. Us discussing it further will only result in a closed thread.

Quote:

Those are the most definitive words I've heard if I ever heard definitive words... >.>
a c 290 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 11:26:19 PM

... By that I meant he doesn't need our input anymore. He decided to think about it and get what he thinks is the best.
!