Sign in with
Your question

Spring for Windows 8 Convertible or Upgrade Desktop?

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 6:03:40 PM

Hey guys, I'd like to ask a bit of a convoluted question, since nowadays an upgrade is less straightforward than it used to be with so many options. Bear with me here ;) 

This may not be the most conventional layout (sorry, but it just didn't seem appropriate in this case) but I'll try to make sense of this.

What I Currently Have:

Desktop -- [Self-built: Core 2 Duo E7300 / 4GB RAM / WinXP Pro 32-bit]
Phone -- [LG 'Revolution' VS910 {Gingerbread}]

I have an old desktop, which is really lacking in terms of performance (can't even address all my RAM due to 32 bit OS :pfff:  ), and no legitimately capable mobile device (which I'd really love to have).

What I'd Like to Do:

1. Multitasking (200MB Firefox sessions, SolidWorks, Office apps, etc.)
2. DAW / Audio Production (Presonus Studio One, Tracktion, FL Studio)
3. CAD / 3D Rendering (SolidWorks, Blender)
4. Ergonomic way to read ebooks / take notes
5. Some Gaming (doesn't have to be maxxed gfx)

Now, if any of the various Windows 8 tablets could handle this without too much of an issue, I would much prefer that form factor over a desktop and would be willing to pay a premium, up to $2200. I'd like to make a purchase by the end of 2012.

Do you guys think there is a Win8 convertible out there that could adequately handle these tasks?

If not, I'd be looking for a cheaper CPU / mobo / RAM upgrade to hold me over until this form factor matures (Haswell, Thunderbolt, etc.), and any advice on dirt cheap upgrades that would facilitate this functionality would be awesome.

Thanks for reading!
October 26, 2012 10:42:08 PM

I don't think the PC you're looking for exists. Samsung makes a tablet that runs a full Windows 7 license. And then there's that new Microsoft "Surface" tablet - but neither of those can accurately be a full substitute for a desktop PC.
!