Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build Attempt (~$1000)

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 26, 2012 6:11:45 PM

So it seems my laptop has finally decided to die on me, and after using an old loaner Macbook for 5 minutes, I've decided to take the plunge and build my first rig. I've done some research and come up with a build, but I'd like some input before I start ordering.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within two weeks

Budget Range: ~1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies/videos, surfing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Location: Baltimore/DC Area

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Never done before, but would like to try

SLI or Crossfire: Would like to have the option in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: Need to purchase monitor

Additional Comments: I'm coming from horrible attempts of gaming on a laptop, so pretty much anything will be better. Games like MMO's, Skyrim, Starcraft, etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Laptop dead, currently computer-less


And, the build I'm considering so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.37 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($237.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1033.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Note: I didn't include memory, as the ASRock board comes with 2x4gb. Also, would it be worth spending a little extra to bring the 7879GHx up to a 7950/7970?

Thanks all!

More about : build attempt 1000

October 26, 2012 6:59:07 PM

Again, I would like to point out that if you are willing to spend a bit more money, I would go with a 7870 HAWK, because its overclocking capabilities, and its current ability to outrun all other 7870 Cards that are out right now, but if you want to spend more than enough for the HAWK, like jrgong said, get a 79XX series card.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 7:41:38 PM

I'd personally drop the SSD and upgrade the GPU to a 7950 or GTX 670. You can always add that in later on.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 7:53:09 PM

Quote:
^better to drop the HDD and add that later, reinstalling your os is a pain


Reinstalling the OS isn't as big of a pain on SSDs as it is on HDs. At least if you're doing a full format.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:02:19 PM

Quote:
yea but then you have to uninstall on your hdd and there can be complications during both operations that can easily be avoided by simply buying whichever one you will run your os off of first. I recently did this and its not the end of the world but i sure wish i had purchased my HDD first rather than the other way around.


I've never had to do this. If I switch out or add an SSD I usually disable the one that has the primary OS on it, then reenable it after first logon.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:20:56 PM

StrippNBD said:
So it seems my laptop has finally decided to die on me, and after using an old loaner Macbook for 5 minutes, I've decided to take the plunge and build my first rig. I've done some research and come up with a build, but I'd like some input before I start ordering.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within two weeks

Budget Range: ~1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies/videos, surfing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Location: Baltimore/DC Area

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Never done before, but would like to try

SLI or Crossfire: Would like to have the option in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: Need to purchase monitor

Additional Comments: I'm coming from horrible attempts of gaming on a laptop, so pretty much anything will be better. Games like MMO's, Skyrim, Starcraft, etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Laptop dead, currently computer-less


And, the build I'm considering so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/luOe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.37 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($237.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1033.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Note: I didn't include memory, as the ASRock board comes with 2x4gb. Also, would it be worth spending a little extra to bring the 7879GHx up to a 7950/7970?

Thanks all!

Very good for a noob build. Get a 650-700w psu. You don't need 750. Look for a cheaper 7870, they are often $220!
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:38:27 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually had no clue when I picked that case, so I'll probably go with the 400R instead. I'm also going to bump up to a 7950 (XFX)--I should be able to squeeze it into the budget without having to drop any of the storage.

If I wanted to Crossfire in the future, would it be better to stick with the 750W PSU? Or will 650-700W be enough for that also?
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 10:06:29 PM

Quote:
^Lol? Cheapest 670 is ~70 dollars more for the same performance. Why wouldnt you just crossfire? It will *** all over any single card 680/7970 included.


Yeah good point. Besides a second 7870 is only ~$249 right now and Newegg has a $15 rebate.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to order everything, and NCIX is having some kind of Halloween sale, so I've found a few things even cheaper than I was expecting. I also found two other motherboards that are a little cheaper than the ASRock, but I'm not sure how they stack up to it. Thoughts?


That's an awesome deal for that motherboard. I say go for it.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 10:45:36 PM

Quote:
yea but then you have to uninstall on your hdd and there can be complications during both operations that can easily be avoided by simply buying whichever one you will run your os off of first. I recently did this and its not the end of the world but i sure wish i had purchased my HDD first rather than the other way around.


I've said this once, and I will say it before.
Getting a SSD with a tight budget is stupid, very stupid, the money you save from not buying an SSD can go to bettering the computer, SSD's aren't necessary, they are just a very nice luxury, save money by not buying an SSD, and use the money saved to better the computer, then get an SSD Later for christmas, ask from relatives.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 1:13:27 AM

Kiowa789 said:
I've said this once, and I will say it before.
Getting a SSD with a tight budget is stupid, very stupid, the money you save from not buying an SSD can go to bettering the computer, SSD's aren't necessary, they are just a very nice luxury, save money by not buying an SSD, and use the money saved to better the computer, then get an SSD Later for christmas, ask from relatives.


Amen!!! This is why I'm against getting SSDs on tighter budgets. Anything below $1K? No. Anything above $1K? Absolutely. It's what distinguishes a high end build from a mid-range build. I'm against getting things that you can always add in later on tight budgets - which is another reason why I absolutely hate spending $100+ on high end peripherals - you can always get those things later!
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 1:37:17 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Add a monitor and SSD, and you'd have a decent build.

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

With:
Any ODD really
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm using this card.

Harddrive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or what you listed
Monitor: What you listed

~$1029-1049 depending on HDD before possible taxes/shipping costs to you.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 5:32:26 AM

Novulux said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Add a monitor and SSD, and you'd have a decent build.

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

With:
Any ODD really
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm using this card.

Harddrive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or what you listed
Monitor: What you listed

~$1029-1049 depending on HDD before possible taxes/shipping costs to you.


I have the same GPU as well, I'm going to add a second in the next month or so.
m
0
l
!