Electrostatic discharge (all components)

pcsuperhero

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I have recently been working on transferring my entire system to a different case. I have been doing this in my dorm room and have been working on it for a week or so. Schoolwork has been my priority so I have been working on the build little by little each day.

Throughout the course of the building process, I've had components such as motherboard, GPU, etc. lying all of the place. I placed them over anti-static material to prevent any static interaction between the components and tables I placed them on.

Since the components have been in the open in such a small room for such a long time, I am wondering about their susceptibility to electrostatic discharge. For example, the other day, I carelessly put on my thick coat as I was standing next to my GPU. Although I don't ever remember touching the components with my bare hands while not grounded, other charged objects (such as my coat) might have touched them without me knowing. I am also concerned about other sources of damage, such as splashed water droplets landing on my components as I pour water into my cup.

If there has been electrostatic discharge, or any other kind of damage, on any of the components (motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc.) will I be able to tell once I turn on the new build? In other words, does electrostatic discharge ruin components immediately or would the damage manifest more in a gradual, long term process?

Thanks!

It either works or doesn't. The components are only protected while inside the esd bags. I would find a more secure place where they won't get touched. You can wear an esd strap around your wrist or ankle while assemblying your components. And no, esd damage isn't gradual as far as I know.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You shouldn't leave the parts lying out in the open. Just because they are lying ON static bags won't help. They should be inside them. When the components are in the machine, they are protected from ESD by being grounded by virtue of the case/power cable/grounded outlet. Lying around in the open, they are subject to all sorts of damage.

As o1die says, you won't know their fate until you assemble the system and turn it on.