Need to make sure this hardware is compatible

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Hello good people of tomshardware.

Im currently in the process of building a new rig.
I would be very thankfull, if any of you would help me make sure that all the hardware is fully compatible, before I buy it.

I know its a long list and it will take some of your time, but I would be gratefull for any and all the help I can get.

The following parts are already bought and not changeable:
Processor - Intel® Core i5-3570 Processor
Powersupply - Cooler Master GX 750W PSU
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA

Here is the hardware I am considering buying:
Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE, Socket-1155
SSD - Corsair SSD Neutron Series GTX 120GB
RAM - Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
Tower - Cooler Master HAF XM Midi Tower

Also worth knowing:
- I will not be overclocking anything. I do not know enough about that, to start doing so.
- I have, of course, already checked all the hardware through myself. I have not found any compatibility issues, but mistakes happen and details gets overlooked sometimes. A few extra pair of eyes never hurt anyone.
- I will not be considering running two GPU's in raid
- The only games I play are Guild Wars 2 and World of Warcraft.
- I realise the links I provided are to a danish site, which is why I wrote the exact names of the hardware aswell.
- I am a bit in doubt about my choice of RAM and SSD

If you have any suggestions to better and more compatible hardware, do not be afraid to post said suggestions. They will be gratefully welcomed.

Thank you for reading and simply considering a reply, wether or not said reply was posted.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. I hope I can repay you someday.

Sincerely

- Jacob

malbluff

Honorable
The main issue that stands out, is the Maximus Gene board is a high performance mobo, for overclocking, but it's pointless expense, for a locked processor. Something like an ASRock H77M, is fine for your system. If you want "top" quality, something like an Asus P8H77-M Pro, or Gigabyte H77M-D3H is probably a bit cheaper.
There's marginal benefit to Dominator Ram, and you only need 8GB, at most, for gaming. Get more, if you are into photography, if you want. You don't need high heat sinks, although not a huge issue, provided you don't want to upgrade, from stock cooler, but generally best to use Corsair CML, GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport, that are all low profile.
For SSD, OCZ Vertex4, Samsung 830, or Crucial M4 are better.
You don't need anything like that power supply 500w is adequate. Get 550w, if you like, for plenty in hand.
If you want GTX 660Ti (Radeon HD7950 is worth considering), would suggest Gigabyte, or MSI have good performance.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Since I can't speak that language I will give you the list from newegg. Just so you know ocing isn't hard So I would still consider an i5-3570k
If you aren't going to run two gpus, then you don't need that psu, I would get a 600w psu. Also you definately don't need that motherboard.
I would get one of these motherboards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645
I would only get 8gb ram, as this seems like a gaming rig.
Also get this gpu instead
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=761887
it is a little more expensive, but it is worth it. Especially when the new drivers come out, they are boosting its speed by 10%.
Also get a hard drive. That ssd isn't going to be able to save too much. You do live in Denmark right? Also for future reference RAID is running two storage devices for faster boot and save times. SLI is running multiple nVidia GPUs and Crossfire is running multiple amd GPUs.

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
As i said in the first post. Power supply, CPU and graphics card are already bought and not up for changing.

I will consider the alternative motherboards however, if I can be sure they will not need a bios update to be compatible with Ivy bridge. Which was the problem with the first motherboard I bought.

The suggestions for alternative ssd's are great, I will pick one of those.
I will also change to 8 gb of RAM. Any suggestions as to which I should choose?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
For ram I would go with corsair or g skill. Also, the motherboards I suggested are z77 and won't need a bios update. But if you aren't going to oc, I would get a a cheaper chipset like the ones the other person suggested. They are far cheaper. I just don't know as much about them as z77.

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I will get the MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard, as of now. Unless someone changes my mind.

For RAM I will get Corsair Dominator DDR3 2133MHz 8GB, unless someone changes my mind.

SSD will be Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5", again unless my mind is changed.

To change my mind you need to have your arguements in order :p

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Here is an updated list of hardware components:

Not up for changes or discussion:
Processor - Intel® Core i5-3570 Processor
Powersupply - Cooler Master GX 750W PSU
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB PhysX CUDA

Here is the hardware I am considering buying, after all your great advice:
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD65, Socket-1155
SSD - Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5"
RAM - Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 8GB

Will all of this be compatible?
Are there any of you out there with better alternatives that you can argue for?

malbluff

Honorable
Even if you don't want to overclock NOW, there's no point in not getting an "unlocked" K processor ie i5-3570K, then you have scope to OC, in the future (handy to have in reserve). Don't bother with Dominator RAM, just isn't worth it. Get low profile RAM like Corsair CML, GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport.
Get a twin fanned GPU. Much better cooling, and quieter. Suggest Gigabyte, or MSI.

malbluff

Honorable
If you've already got i5-3570, the only advantage to having a Z77 motherboard, is it would allow you to add a 2nd GTX 660Ti, in SLi, which is, I presume, why you're getting 750w PSU.
However, if you have no intention of adding 2nd GPU, you could use 500w or 550w PSU, and a H77 mobo. All 77 mobos are designed, for Ivybridge, so no BIOS "flashing" is required, with either Z77 or H77.

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

At least read the thread or at least the first post, before you reply.
CPU, GPU and PSU are NOT up for discussion, I have already bought and recieved those components.

If you would like to share knowledge, you can answer my question.
Is my updated choice of components compatible? Yes you will have to scroll down, to see the latest updated list of hardware components. :)

jacobhermansen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me :)
And yes. At some point I will have to get a second 660ti, which is my reason for PSU choice. :)