450W psu enough for PowerColor hd 7850?

Im looking to get this graphics card this coming week http://www.zcom.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=11811 its the powercolor hd 7850 however im not 100% sure if my psu will be enough.

My current specs are amd fx 4100 @ 3.6ghz ,8gb ram, hd 6870,1tb HDD and all of this is running on a 450w antec psu. Do you think if If I switch out the 6870 for the 7850 I should be ok or should I get a new psu as well?
20 answers Last reply
More about 450w powercolor 7850
  1. since its an Antec you should be fine. what's the model
  2. Well the 7850 is a bit better than the 6870, but it's not THAT much better. Your PSU should run either fine. Idk, it's really up to you bro.

    P.S. switch that 4100 out for a Phenom II 965 Black edition. It's better.
  3. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    Well the 7850 is a bit better than the 6870, but it's not THAT much better. Your PSU should run either fine. Idk, it's really up to you bro.

    P.S. switch that 4100 out for a Phenom II 965 Black edition. It's better.

    the FX 4100 is fine

    also i like to suggest getting a HD 7870 as it would be a bigger upgrade ?
  4. gamerkila57 said:
    the FX 4100 is fine

    also i like to suggest getting a HD 7870 as it would be a bigger upgrade ?


    That means I did have wait another week If I did. Since I wont have the money till then.

    Is it really worth the extra $100?
  5. If your Antec PSU can handle that 6870, you wont have to worry about it struggling with the 7850. They are almost identical in power consumption for both idle and load wattage.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=549
  6. DarkNinja22 said:
    That means I did have wait another week If I did. Since I wont have the money till then.

    Is it really worth the extra $100?



    It really depend what games you will be playing.

    Here is 7850 vs 7870

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=548
  7. gamerkila57 said:
    the FX 4100 is fine


    No bro, just no. The 965 is the same price as the 4100 except it is a bit better. In fact, the 4100 is $5 more expensive than the 965, and the 965 is just an absolute BEAST if you overclock it. Don't talk about stuff if you don't know what you're talking about, broski.
  8. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    No bro, just no. The 965 is the same price as the 4100 except it is a bit better. In fact, the 4100 is $5 more expensive than the 965, and the 965 is just an absolute BEAST if you overclock it. Don't talk about stuff if you don't know what you're talking about, broski.

    i'm talking from experience broski

    Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-3.html
  9. Check the hierarchy charts before you talk. As you can CLEARLY see, the 965 BE is a full tier higher than the 4100. Plus it's five bucks cheaper.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
  10. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    Check the hierarchy charts before you talk. As you can CLEARLY see, the 965 BE is a full tier higher than the 4100. Plus it's five bucks cheaper.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    and the FX 4170 is a tier above that so what a FX 4100 can easily hit 4.2GHz on stock without a voltage change even 4.4GHz ?
  11. gamerkila57 said:
    and the FX 4170 is a tier above that so what a FX 4100 can easily hit 4.2GHz on stock without a voltage change even 4.4GHz ?


    Yes, but now your are cheating my friend. We were comparing the STOCK 4100 to the STOCK 965. Of course, you COULD OC the 4100 to 4.2, but you COULD also OC the 965 to 4GHz as well, which would make it easily beat out a 4100 even at 4.4.
  12. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    Yes, but now your are cheating my friend. We were comparing the STOCK 4100 to the STOCK 965. Of course, you COULD OC the 4100 to 4.2, but you COULD also OC the 965 to 4GHz as well, which would make it easily beat out a 4100 even at 4.4.

    how is it cheating bot a FX 4100 and FX 4170 are the same just the FX 4170 has a base clock of 4.2GHz. i won't to point out that with a Phenom II 965 if you want to oc you would have to buy an aftermarket cooler were as an FX 4100 can oc on stock with no problem and no need for an aftermarket cooler ?
  13. You should never OC anything with a stock cooler. Stock cooler's are not designed for it. I would personally get a new PSU before a new GPU. 450w is too close for me, there is little breathing room.
  14. gamerkila57 said:
    how is it cheating bot a FX 4100 and FX 4170 are the same just the FX 4170 has a base clock of 4.2GHz. i won't to point out that with a Phenom II 965 if you want to oc you would have to buy an aftermarket cooler were as an FX 4100 can oc on stock with no problem and no need for an aftermarket cooler ?


    First of all, you probably shouldn't OC and processor without an aftermarket cooler. I'd say the absolute MOST you could OC with the stock cooler is 300MHz. With both the 4100 and the 965 an aftermarket cooler would be needed for some decent OCs.

    Oh yeah, and you said all that coming from a guy who OCed his 4100 with an aftmarket cooler. Telling from your sig you have a 4100 and a CM 212. If the 4100 can OC stock with "No problem" , then why did you buy the 212, rather than save some bucks and use the stock cooler?
  15. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    First of all, you probably shouldn't OC and processor without an aftermarket cooler. I'd say the absolute MOST you could OC with the stock cooler is 300MHz. With both the 4100 and the 965 an aftermarket cooler would be needed for some decent OCs.

    Oh yeah, and you said all that coming from a guy who OCed his 4100 with an aftmarket cooler. Telling from your sig you have a 4100 and a CM 212. If the 4100 can OC stock with "No problem" , then why did you buy the 212, rather than save some bucks and use the stock cooler?

    i had my FX 4100 oced at 4.4GHz on stock with no problem but i wanted to go higher like 4.8GHz so i got the CM Hyper 212+ from a friend for free but i couldn't got higher as my boards TDP is 95W so if i raise the voltage pass 1.40 pc won't start i have to clear CMOS
  16. Smeg45 said:
    You should never OC anything with a stock cooler. Stock cooler's are not designed for it. I would personally get a new PSU before a new GPU. 450w is too close for me, there is little breathing room.

    i agree with that but the bulldozer heatsinks kept them cool even when oced ?
  17. gamerkila57 said:
    i agree with that but the bulldozer heatsinks kept them cool even when oced ?


    I doubt it. If I game for 6hrs straight on a heavily OC'd processor with probably a voltage bump, I can't see a stock heatsink keeping up. My own 965 hits 45 celsius on a Contac 29.
  18. Smeg45 said:
    I doubt it. If I game for 6hrs straight on a heavily OC'd processor with probably a voltage bump, I can't see a stock heatsink keeping up. My own 965 hits 45 celsius on a Contac 29.

    that's what i was saying the FX 4100 can oc up to 4.4GHz without a voltage bump so it doesn't get as hot ?
  19. Ummm, just sayin, I'm pretty sure the bulldozer coolers are almost the exact same as the stock Deneb coolers...
    Therefore your argument is invalid.
  20. SniperNoSnipeee said:
    Ummm, just sayin, I'm pretty sure the bulldozer coolers are almost the exact same as the stock Deneb coolers...
    Therefore your argument is invalid.

    no the bulldozer coolers are considerably better than the Deneb and Thuban
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD PowerColor Graphics