Sign in with
Your question

HD7950 causing computer to freeze (please help)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2012 1:32:46 AM

I recently purchased a Gigabyte HD Radeon 9750 windforce and ever since I installed it my computer has been freezing periodically. It tends to freeze only when playing a game in the main monitor and watching a movie or tv show in the 2nd monitor. Initially after this started happening I underclocked the card to 800mhz and the problem went away. Figuring I got a bad card I decided to RMA it. The new card arrived the other day and the exact same problem is happening. The card(s) seem to function fine under any other circumstance even when running Furmark to stress test it however as soon as I am playing a game and watching a movie it is a safe bet my computer will freeze within a few minutes. My old setup of 2x Radeon 5750 cards were able to run games and a movie in the 2nd monitor fine although the frame rate was a bit lower than I would like, but I never had any freezes or anything.

I am running latest catalyst drivers. I run an i5-750 @ 3.7ghz (stable) for months now, 8 GB DDR 1600, EVGA P55 SLI MB, Corsair 750 watt PSU.

I am completely at a loss about how to correct this problem. Please help!

UPDATE: I went ahead and removed my CPU OC and am running at stock speeds. I have also run driver sweeper and cleaned out all AMD drivers before reinstalling. I have also moved the video card to a different PCI-E slot and tried different power cables from my PSU. The problems are still occuring.
a c 208 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 3:58:56 AM

Gaming and watching a movie... Same time on the same card? I would expect it to crash.
August 31, 2012 4:25:15 AM

Disagree with clutchc... a 7950 should absolutely be able to handle a movie/game combo. Even if you've updated, AMD drivers have a tendency to cause problems - at least with my experience. Did you remove the driver/CCC and the use a program like Driver Sweeper (freeware) to clean up any additional files? What are your other system specs? Does it happen with all games or only with a specific game? Did you have any issues like this before you got your 7950? Thanks
Related resources
a c 208 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 4:30:20 AM

I should have said that with 'tounge in cheek'. I was making a poor joke. My bad.
August 31, 2012 4:35:31 AM

Haha well I should have developed a sense of humor about 20 years ago :p 
August 31, 2012 4:49:58 AM

Well, r u overclocking ur cpu? I'm also using HD 7950 gigabyte windforce OC, it should be fine. Last time I did overclock my i5-3470 and when playing Resident evil 5 it kept lagging. If you r also overclocking your CPU, try changing it to normal clock.
September 2, 2012 3:14:13 PM

OK update,

Went ahead and used driver sweeper to remove and re-install all drivers, and reset my OC to default factory settings. The problem still occurs. Not sure what to try now
October 31, 2012 3:29:33 AM

I just got the exact same card today and had exactly the same problem. I did not OC at all. I was playing sniper elite v2, and it was not a video intensive game and it froze twice to me already. I had to have a hard reset to turn off the PC. Anyone has the same problem? My card is also Gigabyte, I wonder if I should return it and try MSI or Asus, would that make any difference? Please help! My system is Dell xps 9100 , i-7 2.6hz quacore, 16 gb RAM, 120 SSD, and game is on a 1 TB sata 2 HDD 7200 RPN.
a c 208 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 4:58:08 PM

Could you be experiencing an Operating Sys problem instead of a card/driver problem? Try eliminating as much starting/running in the background as possible. Go to system config and uncheck everything unnecessary. http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

Then run something like CCleaner to remove resource wasting crap and registry errors. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Then defrag for good measure. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, your PC will love you for doing it.
December 13, 2012 6:04:38 PM

Howdy,

This problem still occurring? Forgot about this post but have developed an intimate relationship with my card since my last msg...
June 14, 2013 4:13:48 PM

About 6 months I have the same problem. I still don't know how i survived so far, I had to get rid of my second screen to lower the freeze chances :( 
But now, the problem occurs almost as soon as i start a video on youtube.
It's most likely hardware compatibility issue (power supply, RAM ...). It even freezes with Linux.
BriboCN, how are you doing so far ? Did you break your card up ?
June 14, 2013 9:16:21 PM

ive recently upgraded a cyberpower pc with the following specs http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPowerPC+-+Gamer+Xtreme...
with a radeon 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and a corsair 600 watt power supply to support it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....
Okay my pc was not experiencing any failures other than failure to meet my demands as far as graphic capabilities so i recently purchased the upgrades above in attempt to enhance my gaming experience. I have been experiencing troubles where my pc will hard crash constantly while playing seemingly graphic intensive games such as League, Arma 3, Crisis, and so forth. I don't know if anyone has experience with such troubles and can possibly help me to resolve said issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. many thanks-josh
July 11, 2013 3:24:04 PM

Im having the exact same issue now, been using this card for 2 months and it crashes my system so fast and easily on games/settings that i can run on my 3 year old laptop. Seeing this thread makes me realize that the issue seriously lies with this specific gigabyte card, i might try to get mine switched for another card. For 300 euros I really expect something that can at least play League of Legends. THis is just silly.
!