Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help with minimum frame rates on Gigabyte 7950 & BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2012 1:33:38 AM

Guys,

I’ve recently upgraded from a reference designed Radeon 6950 to a new Gigabyte Windforce Radeon 7950 card. I’m having mixed feelings with this upgrade because even though I can see my new frame rates reaching (sometimes) over 100 fps my minimum frame rates have stayed the same causing the game to stutter and jerk. The only game that I play day in day out is BF3 64 Player/Conquest Caspian Border.

On my old 6950 I get a maximum fps of about 70fps and the minimum dips to about 25fps, this is usually when I am driving the tank and when the tank is trying to manoeuvre thru a lot of smoke and explosions. On the 7950 however, I would get more than 100fps but this would dip in to the 25fps level when things get busy in the tank. That is about the same minimum fps as the old 6950. I feel that the minimum fps I am getting is a bit too low seeing that the 7950 is supposed to be 40% faster than a 6950.

What could the problem be? I also tried to play Crysis 2 on the card (all on Ultra settings) and it seems that the 7950 cannot even run it properly. I am getting around 40fps but the game feels choppy. I did a fresh install of Windows when I installed the new card. And my BF3 video settings are everything on Ultra, Antialiasing Deferred is OFF, Ambient Occlusion HBAO.

Below are my System Specs

CPU: 2600K OC’d 4.6ghz
RAM: 8GB 1600 Mhz
MB: P67 (Intel)
HD: OCZ Octane 256GB
PSU: 850watts Antec

Catalyst version is 12.8
The monitor is a Dell U2311H 1920 x 1080p

Also, I am planning to overclock the video card (stock clock is 900mhz) but I don’t want to touch the clocks until I am sure that the factory performance of the card is where it should be.

So what I really want to know is how do I improve my minimum fps in BF3?

The other questions are:

My PCIe lane speed is only 2.0, if I change my MB to something else that has 3.0 lane speed would it make a significant difference in my fps?
What is the point of OC’ing the VRAM? Seeing that 3GB is plenty enough for the monitor that I use.

Your help is appreciated.
August 31, 2012 1:56:41 AM

Make sure that your video card is seated in the top PCIe slot
Uninstall the drivers completely using the AMD uninstall, the reinstall the latest drivers.
PCIe 3.0 will make no difference at all, only benefit bandwisth hungry 3 way 4 way gpu setups.

What make and model exactly is your MB?
Score
August 31, 2012 2:12:07 AM

Hey dude,

Thanks for the response. The video card is seated at the very top PCIe slot. I've done the uninstall/reinstall a few times. I even tried 12.7 drivers but they all gave me the same results. My MB is an Intel Express product... Thanks.
Score
Related resources
September 2, 2012 12:57:20 AM

bump :) 
Score

Best solution

September 2, 2012 10:19:32 PM

I have same card same problem.... I decided to overclock before returning it, I'm at 1200 core clock 1600 memory , and my min frames in bf3 are 55ish... sometimes 50.. Smooth as silk after that overclock though, and same for crysis 2 ... Id just overclock the crap out of it... still not happy return and get something else.
September 3, 2012 3:02:15 AM

Naudical said:
I have same card same problem.... I decided to overclock before returning it, I'm at 1200 core clock 1600 memory , and my min frames in bf3 are 55ish... sometimes 50.. Smooth as silk after that overclock though, and same for crysis 2 ... Id just overclock the crap out of it... still not happy return and get something else.

I am actually planning to overclock it eventually. But I would like to know first if the performance that I am getting now is where it is supposed to be. And yes I might actually just return this item and go Nvidia as I am not really happy with it, at the moment.
Score
September 3, 2012 3:34:24 AM

well to answer ur question, on stock clock's my gigabyte 7950 min frames 64 multi would be 43ish.... So if you're hitting 25min fps at stock something is wrong. Cause that's not the case for me or from what iv read in benchmarks, Id either return and try a new one out ? or just buy the 670gtx
Score
September 9, 2012 1:20:02 AM

Best answer selected by Frandaman.
Score
September 9, 2012 7:06:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!