Sign in with
Your question

General Question: Desktop vs. Mobile CPU Performance.

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2013 11:28:26 PM

There's something that's been confusing me for quite a while now. I've been looking at this benchmarking site for a while now: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Here's my question. Looking at a desktop CPU like the i7-3770k which draws 77w max and has a score of 9630, and comparing it to a mobile processor like the i7-3940XM which draws 55w max and has a score of 9962, how does the mobile processor score higher? The mobile CPU, while it is an extreme edition, still has 4 cores, same amount of cache, is clocked slower, and even uses less power.

Is it simply this one benchmark that shows the mobile as a better performer? Or is the mobile just more efficient than the desktop? I'd love to hear any kind of explanation on this. Thanks!
a c 103 à CPUs
March 10, 2013 11:39:08 PM

They both turbo to the same level so maybe the difference is the margin for error.
m
l
March 11, 2013 10:52:04 AM

Even so, the mobile still draws less power. Is Intel doing something special with the i7-3940xm that isn't present on the high end quad core Ivy bridge chips?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2013 12:01:29 PM

It's a much more efficient design. One was designed for a $300 pricepoint so they made some compromised on power consumption and heat. The other was no-compromises and it's a $1000 processor designed to stay cool in a small laptop case and preserve precious battery.
m
l
!