I need advice on a new programming/gaming rig

eVgAfTw1231

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
budget Range: 1700-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HardCore Gaming, Benching, Programming

Are you buying a monitor: Not Sure yet

Parts to Upgrade: None need everything new

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Mooresville North Carolina 28115

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, EVGA Graphics (Please No Radeon), Need a Good Case, Would Like either an EVGA Board or Gigabyte Board the cheaper the better

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: What ever Battlefield 3 and SWTOR will look the Sexiest at.

Additional Comments: I need a good gaming Keyboard, Mouse, Headset, Lots of bling to show off to inferior friends and family, Cool System I dont want an indoor heater.

I am a college student getting a degree in Programming so I will need a good enough PC go get me through for the next year or two. I will also like to SLI I also need a PSU.

malbluff

Honorable
You should appreciate that there is little point to someone designing a PC, with "bling", for someone else, as what may be "cool" to one person, may be "ugly", or downright ridiculous, to someone else. It's best to design a system, to have the right performance, and sensible, and then "bling" can be added, or, for instance, case changed to something more flashy. I have worked on that basis. The one concession, I have made to "bling", is to use a good Phanteks cooler, that you can get in a variety of colours, if you wish to use a case, with a side window.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 60.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($376.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1320.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I have used a very good case, that you will probably say is boring. I would suggest you pick out a couple of good quality mid-tower ATX cases, that YOU like, and we can say, if one is particularly better. Both Coolermaster (Storm and 690), and NZXT, make (some would say) attractive cases.
I know you said you wanted an EVGA GPU. Whilst the EVGA version is OK, the Gigabyte is better. Of course, if you really want EVGA, you can just swap it in.
When it comes to gaming keyboard/mouse, I would generally say, if you are not sure exactly what you want, the best way is to get a cheap, fairly basic, one, from someone, like Logitech. See how you get on with it. If you don't like it, at least you will know WHAT you don't like, and get a better one, without wasting a lot of money. Better than just getting an expensive one, that someone ELSE likes, and finding you can't get on with it.
Similar thing applies to headsets. How good a one do you want.

TRENDING THREADS