Using a Wireless Router on a Universities network

iBroadstock

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but I've got a slight problem.

First of all I go to U.C. (university of cincy) and I just bought a ps3 and was trying to share my iTunes library from my mac to it over the network.
Ps3 can't connect to WPA-2 enterprise which is the kind of security my university uses so I bought a wireless router to plug into the ethernet port in my dorm room.

However when I try and connect to the router on my computer a page from the university pops up in safari saying
"It appears you are behind a nat'd device. You have been quarantined until this problem resolves."

Anyone know how I can fix this issue ?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It seems you've hit a nerve in their defences and it's unlikely there's a workaround without going to see the Network Administration folk and asking for help there. However, it's unlikely they'll help in case you're circulating music tracks which are Copyright protected - technically it's a form of radio broadcasting for which a Licence might be required.

iBroadstock

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
hmmm. well is there anyway to make the router not appear as a router on the network? also if its any help i can plug my mac into the ethernet in my room and share its wireless to my ps3 and share my music that way, unfortunately its a bit tedious changing the settings every time i leave and come back to my room with my mac...