Old Pc optiplex 780 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey guise

New guy here, picked up some useful stuff around the boards. Recently purchased a dell optiplex 780 tower to screw around. It packs a core2duo with 2.33ghz, has ddr3 ram capability, pcie x16. My main purpose is to use it for picture editing using adobe Lightroom, a little video editing and gaming (diablo, Starcraft, cod and some other fps)

What I initially plan to do is upgrade the CPU to a quad core 9400 and cheapy vid card and upgrade the ram to 8gb. But this morning I was swayed by my sis in law to pick up a mid ranged vid card (radeon 7770) and psu to support both new CPU n gpu.

Since I can't afford all of it in one purchase, what would you upgrade first? What I was thinking is upgrade the ram to 8gb vengeance brand, 430 watt thermaltake psu and a 7770 radeon. Btw I have a 24" monitor with 1980x1200 (?) native resolution, will this run it smoothly?

Am I taking the right route here to build a budget pc? If you we're me, what would you do? Pls don't tell me to throw it away and buy a better rig cuz that's not an option :D

Halpppp!

Solution
My worst expectations came true - you can not fit just any video card.
Watch this video first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVoe-4_oZ0
Second, I will show what I mean on the example for Optiplex 755 and GX620, apparently all of them including yours 780 are sharing the same hardware architecture!

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.

If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only...

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Am I taking the right route here to build a budget pc?

Sorry, no. On the bright side, you're also wrong about not being able to build a better one with the resources you have. The problem is your approach. You can't just throw money at 5 year old hardware because it won't handle new parts and the older inferior stuff it CAN handle is more expensive.

Also note: You're also missing the fact that your budget pc is already built.

Part by part:

Your board probably doesn't support the video card. I checked the specs and it just says pcie x16, which probably means 1.0. It's supposed to be a backward/forward compatible standard, but it's not. 1.0 Slots can't take 2.1 or later (I believe because of changes in power requirements).

You won't get a whole lot more out of a quad core, and since those chips are fairly old, so you don't get the 'recently old' discount.

This was the cheapest core 2 quad I could find in under a minute at $120ish.

Here's a newer one for $99; a quad core at 3.4 Ghz. I know from experience that this chip is awesome.

Also, just because it supports DDR3 doesn't mean you can just slap anything into it. I think core 2 quads only support up to 1066, but it might be 1333. 1066 ram is actually MORE expensive than newer ram. I couldn't confirm it at a glance, but I think it might only support 4GB also.

What would I do?
For now, I'd use the crap out of that dell just like it is. Maybe I'd put $20 worth of ram in it, but that'd be all. It'll do everything you want except game. My long-term plan would be to phase in new components for an eventual full rebuild (for about what you're planning to spend anyway). Then, I'd find something else to use the dell for (there are lots of great uses like home theater, network storage, etc).

First, I'd buy the new board and CPU. This can easily be done for under $200, and could be as low as $125 if you're frugal and willing to make compromises. The dell ram should probably work, but check with the new mobo's manufacturer to be sure.

Then, I'd buy components in the following order until I had two fully working computers: ram, psu, gpu, new hdd (either a junker for the dell or a new fancy for the new fancy), a second optical drive (optional, easy to find free or nearly free).

Knowing Dell, the case and board are probably a matched set. They like to do things like move a screw over an inch or put the ram above the cpu and run a fan conduit where it's supposed to go. It's their way of making sure you can't use their stuff with anything else. You can get an old busted computer from a thrift store and harvest the case for about $10 or they can easily be garbage picked. You may get lucky and find a viable hard drive and other toys to use in the dell once this all done.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
That is very unfortunate lol. Thanks for the eye opener. I dont really plan to use it as a gaming rig, its more of a all around machine.

I still plan to buy some upgrades, but I wont probably go all out and spend a lot money on an aging machine. I judt installed a 64bit win8, I guess ill start there.

Really appreciate your thoughts. Anyone else wants to wreck my dreams? :D

Before anyone planning to provide any opinions it is very beneficial to read optiplex 780 manual ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-780_Service%20Manual2_en-us.pdf page 6 of pdf where it is clearly stated that PCIE is 2.0. I don't see where 1.0 came from. This is first.
Second. It is not that old PC, and with little money it can be upgraded to handle most of today tasks, including gaming up to Crysis 3 if you wish. Yes, it is not new, but when money are limited, all options has to be taken into consideration.

In order to better provide you with possible choices please identify your case form factor. I will provide Optiplex 755 family line picture as example, please name your form factor

1541optiplex755family30.jpg

Regarding Video card, check around for 7750, would it satisfy your needs? It will work on your existing power supply (wattage depends on case form factor as well), it costs at most $120 or less depending on manufacturer, it will play all modern games on low to medium settings without AA enabled!

Once you post form factor and Video card requirement (7750 or above, if above, power supply PSU upgrade is required) I can provide with possible choices. Then, and only then you can decide your next steps.

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Im seeing some positive light here! :) im reconfiguring my newegg basket then you post this :D

I was about to get this -> http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16820148543

Replaced with with regular looking ram simce im not sure if it will work. I went to the crucial website and I think its supported. Since thr number values are the same.

Mines the biggest one, the MT tower. Im looking at the radeon 7770 at the minimum. But really wanted the 7850, but im sure itll be bottlenecked by the cpu, hence the thought of upgrading to a core2quad if thats even a logical solution.

Actually, the best CPU in any system but the USFF is an Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9650/3.00GHz, 12M, 1333FSB, which is respectable jump over your current one. But to confirm I still need form factor, and preferably motherboard model.
The easiest way to find motherboard exact model is to get CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html install and run, check information under third tab from the left - mainboard. Also, check CPU tab, the very first one to verify your current processor, please provide full model as well.

shopping from the phone, please slow down. I can actually confirm already - Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 would work, no motherboard model is necessary. Also, you can go up to 16 GB of RAM if desired. Crucial is the best for Dells, just don't get fancy ones.
See, if you can afford Corsair power supply, Thermaltake takes the bottom of the recommended power supplies, it is not that bad, but Corsair is much better and not as expensive as the best one - Seasonic.

The only thing I need to find - if CPU cooler has to be upgraded.

You almost done. Still slow down with Video Card, I have some reservations, I would have to check on card size if it actually fits...

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Wow. Thanks for all of this :)

I have the MT model, its huge, im guessing it can take full sizedcards. I have the e6550 2.33ghz right now.

This totally changed my upgrade path :)

Mini Tower is not that "huge" as you think. I am having problems locating open side panel picture, it is very important, so if you can snap a picture of your open side panel Optiplex, that would be great. If you have problem focusing, I need area around PCIE card and CPU heatsink cooler, this is the problem area for many Optiplex models!
Don't just buy video card yet please, or you might have to return it and get upset!!!

My worst expectations came true - you can not fit just any video card.
Watch this video first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbVoe-4_oZ0
Second, I will show what I mean on the example for Optiplex 755 and GX620, apparently all of them including yours 780 are sharing the same hardware architecture!

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.

If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

Pictures below will prove my point.

View shows no room for dual bracket

01optilexgx620backviewe.jpg

Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half

02optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket

03optiplexgx620insidean.jpg

Visual explanation

04optiplex755mt4.jpg

7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"

05optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.

06optiplex755mt3edit.jpg

So, I found 2 GDDR5 7750 cards (GDDR5 is better than GDDR3, even if GDD3 offers 2 GB RAM), which confirmed in reviews to fit Optiplex gx620, 745 and 755 cases (the difference between those models are different processors).

Skinny, flimsier in terms of construction, completely single slot XFX 7750 http://www.amazon.com/XFX-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-FX775AZNP4-FX-775A-ZNP4/dp/B007Z3T5JC
A bit beefier cooler, not as skinny, more durable in construction PowerColor AX7750 http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-AX7750-1GBD5-DH-Video-Graphics/dp/B00775OC28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362783129&sr=8-1&keywords=AX7750+1GBD5-DH
I cannot say which one of those 2 is better, both are good and got less bad reviews related to structural build.
I saw recent recommendation regarding drivers "Changing to the just-released AMD catalyst 13.2 BETA driver improved performance noticeably in just about every game" posted 03/05/2013.

If you had previously NVIDIA card or NVIDIA chip - drivers have to be completely uninstalled prior to installing ATI card.

This is it. So, you are very limited in choices for video card, limited by size, unfortunately

Solution
Above post was for original power supply. Considering that everying inside your case is crooked, I am expecting that standard ATX power supply may not fit as well!
I am looking into this issue, need more time.
Look first if 7750 will satisfy your needs.....

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Well iguess its a full tower, I have a mink tower here at my office and its certainly bigger. I can take a pic when I get home, hopefully, you cam bring meore good news :D

I really appreciste the time

So far I found only one 7770 video card which will fit inside - PowerColor AX7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131477
From NVIDIA I only see SPARKLE 700025 (SX650TI1024KD) GeForce GTX 650 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187200 which most likely will fit, but I can not recommend Sparkle since I have no clue who they are and what is their quality.
It will require power supply upgrade. Unless you come up with another single bracket video card, your choices stop here.

So for the better budget I would recommend stop at 7750.

So far I found only one 7770 video card which will fit inside - PowerColor AX7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131477
From NVIDIA I only see SPARKLE 700025 (SX650TI1024KD) GeForce GTX 650 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187200 which most likely will fit, but I can not recommend Sparkle since I have no clue who they are and what is their quality.
It will require power supply upgrade. Unless you come up with another single bracket video card, your choices stop here.

So for the better budget I would recommend stop at 7750.

EDIT: Toms server problems, posted twice by TOM.

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Yea, I have no prob with the 7750, that is my initial plan anyways. Would you still suggest replacing the cpu to crank upmore speed? I feel like i will waste money if I do

I would say first get video card and RAM, install and play your favorite game, if your FPS on low to medium settings without AA are above 40 - you are fine the way it is, if not, well, this is next discussion.

Q9550 search lead to very expensive results, even on eBay. So this is the list of Optiplex compatible Quads

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9650/3.00GHz, 12M, 1333FSB
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550/2.83GHz, 12M, 1333FSB
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400/2.66GHz, 6M, 1333FSB
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400/2.66GHz, 4M, 1333FSB
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8300/2.50GHz, 4M, 1333FSB

Q9550 found here http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=q9550&_sop=15 starting price about $105, if you can get it around this price, it is worth it, I think above $150 it become too expensive, after all, you just saved on 7750 at least $50 or more and power supply another $30 or so, so your savings to apply toward CPU upgrade are about $100, not bad. However, keep in mind that Quads are 95 watt and your E is only65 watt - cooling upgrade is required, if your CPU heatsink is aluminum. It is easy to check, open your box and look at heatsink with flash light, if you see only white metal, it is aluminum, if you see yellow parts inside, it is called copper. Dell installs copper heatsinks on 95 watt quads for Optiplex models, I have part numbers, easy to find if needed and not expensive at all.

So please check first.
Performance wise, most today programs and games began utilizing 4 cores already, so the more cores you have the better. If it was me with tight budget, I would go for Q9550 for under $150. If suddenly you decide to purchase Q9550 and I am not around, go for E0 stepping identified as SLB8V - full name would be Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12M 1333 SLB8V E0 Yorkfield, this is last generation, improved quality...

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
You guys seem to have this figured out, but I just wanted to answer the question of 'where are you getting 1.0 from' and say why I gave my suggestion. I glanced at the tech specs, and it didn't say any pcie version. In every system from that era that I've encountered, if it doesn't say, it's 1.0. 2.0 was new, so that's something you'd expect to see up front.

I said I wasn't certain, and I think I said to call dell.

Also, I did later come across some rather affordable decent quality pcie 2.0 cards that would work in 1.0 slots, and I planned to check back and mention them.

I still don't think the cost of a processor upgrade is justified for the improvement in performance.

What did that one chip cost? $237?
phenom 965 $99
Decent board at a glance $120
8GB of ram supported by the chip $53
Total: $272

Again, not saying you should junk the box, but for $37 more than the cost of the best chip, you have a new system that kicks the crap out of the existing one with a better chip (I didn't bother to check if this system would work with the other stuff you have, it's just an example). For this reason, I suggest not putting any more money into it than you have to, especially not a chip upgrade.

As I said before, it will do anything on your list except gaming. If that's all, then only get a video card. You can always put that card into a newer system.

A bit more ram might not be bad, but I'd say don't spend more than $40.

Another thought, Rjsaml, you keep calling it a full tower. That's actually something entirely different. What you have is called a mid-tower. You mean to say it's not a tiny little thin station. Put it next to a true full tower and you'll never forget the distinction :) That's not a dig by any means, if you didn't have the mid tower, you could probably kiss your hopes of any substantial upgrades goodbye (waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong, lol).

As I said, I think you guys got this, just wanted to clarify why I gave the advice I did.

EDIT: oops, I hit the post button before I was done typing and had to go back

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Lol yea i guess its a MT. Its jusy bigger compared to the ones in using at my office. Im not techy guy so buying new boards and other components will really throw me off. Ive settled to the 7750 and ram upgrade for now. Thanks to both off you, really.

Btw kisisanik its yellow heatsink, so im guessing its copper, if ever I wanted todo the cpu upgrade later, will it be enough or I still need to install something elsr?

Hatss off to bothr of you

@Rjsaml: You have copper, so nothing more you can do here, it is very proprietary.

@BadPeteNo: There are manuals to check prior to providing advices, it took me a few minutes to find 2.0. Your suggestion almost stop OP from saving money, you remember OP mentioned about tight budget?
Now, your system would require also case another $30 at least and PSU for the same at least, plus Win7 (Dell Win7 would not install on non Dell motherboard) another $80, make it total about $410 or more versus max $150 (or less) from eBay for processor which is about as strong as 965 (maybe a bit weaker).

Rjsaml

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

You mean I just slap it on and thats it? Sorry I got a lot of Q's.

I understand Pete's point, but his suggestion wouldnt fit my budget nor my tinkering skill so I got to make the most out of this dinosaur

Status
Not open for further replies.