Sign in with
Your question

Do I Need Fresh Thermal Paste to Move from Bad MB to Good?

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2012 3:26:18 AM

For the first time in maybe 8 years, I'm putting together a new PC. And it looks like I have a bad motherboard. The symptom is that when you put in a second memory stick (and I tried known good memory, in addition to the new RAM mentioned below), the AMI bios emits 47 or 48 short beeps. Then it stops for maybe ten seconds and does it again. Only with one stick can you get a good POST.

Anyway, my question is: Do I need to buy thermal paste for when I move my Ivy Bridge processor from the bad board to a good one? This is a boxed processor using the provided heat sink/fan.

Setup:

Intel Pentium G2120

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 Power Supply

Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Case

Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (not yet installed)

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit System Builder (not yet arrived, which is now fine)

Gigabyte Intel B75 LGA1155 GA-B75M-D3V

Oh, and no slam on Gigabyte -- they were great. Story there is that I foolishly tried to save a couple dollars by getting the board as an Amazon Warehouse Deal in "very good" used condition. It arrived reboxed and without the backplate/IO Shield. I called Gigabyte first thing, and they are sending it for free, even though I told them the board was purchased used. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the plate, but at least they'll get a customer service kudo here.

I'd like to be loyal to Gigabyte, but if prices don't change, the ASRock B75M-DGS looks good to me -- unless anyone want to argue against it.

Steve E.
October 27, 2012 3:45:55 AM

Yes.
If you take the heatsink off (you will to remove the cpu), you need to clean the old thermal paste off, and apply new.
m
l
October 27, 2012 3:48:37 AM

I'm assuming with one stick in you got it to boot and double checked the ram settings? And made sure the two sticks were in the correct slots? (my 1156 GB board wouldn't boot when I first tried, I had the ram sticks in the wrong slots.)

To answer your question, yes. As soon as you break the bond between the CPU and sink, you need new paste. It's not a big thing.
m
l
October 27, 2012 2:40:13 PM

4745454b said:
I'm assuming with one stick in you got it to boot and double checked the ram settings?

It boots to MS-DOS from an USB thumb drive. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the RAM settings. The type of memory I've tried has the right specs. I didn't check Gigabyte's recommended memory list, or Patriot's recommended motherboard list, before purchasing, instead buying on the basis of reviews and price. And I now see that no memory I've tried is on those lists. Maybe a mistake, although, in the old days, it wasn't.

Your post did inspire me to try harder before giving up on my used Rev 1.0 motherboard.

Using the computer with one stick, I tried playing with the BIOS Advanced Memory Settings. Timings and voltage seems to already match Patriot's spec on the first stick, and using the expert mode to force the same settings for the other stick did not help. Nor did changing the memory "Performance Enhance" from the default "Turbo" to "Normal."

I also checked for BIOS updates. Gigabyte had one that is supposed to "Improve system compatibility." A little cryptic, that phrase. But in case it had to do with the second memory slot, I used the thumb drive to flash the BIOS. I still get those 47 or 48 beeps, but it was worth trying.

Quote:
And made sure the two sticks were in the correct slots?

On this board, I don't see how you could firmly seat them in the wrong ones.

One other little (to me) confusing bit. With one memory stick, the computer beeps once when started. According to the following link, one long beep is "POST procedures have passed," while one short beep is "memory refresh circuitry has failed":

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_...

Due to inexperience, I can't be sure whether my beep is short or long. If anything, I think it short. But, with one stick booting into the MS-DOS pen drive, the computer seems fine, and, again with one stick, the health indications in the BIOS look good. But the beep still sounds short to me.

Thanks for all ideas. Usually, the way my mind goes, a few words is all I need to start thinking smarter. And I suspect a lot of people with my skill level return parts that could be gotten to work. But maybe not this time.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:11:16 AM

I take it your board only has two ram slots? I don't research the stuff in posts, often its the same issues over and over.

Sounds like you checked the settings and all seems good. If you have only two slots, have you tried one stick in both slots? Maybe one is damaged? It's also possible you didn't install the CPU right and the pins on the board that happen to work the memory controller are bent. I've heard of that happening. Not sure what to try.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:50:33 AM

I would. Go to the web page of the thermal paste u use and use the method they have there.
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:01:14 AM

Thanks for all replies. I did follow the advice to remove old paste (used acetone) and put in new, and system is fine.
m
l
!