EOS 20D and Drebel kit lens confusion

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 6, 2005 3:05:22 PM

Hi,

Just wondering--

Anyone know why some of the kit lenses (18-55mm) that come with these
two cameras are shown as "USM" (ultrasonic focusing motor) and some are
not??

Is one more desirable than the other? Should this be taken into account
when looking to purchase either of these two cameras?

Thanks!

M.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:57:16 PM

I think the USM are newer models, if your from the uk Jessops don't take non
USM canon lenses in part exchange.
"Mike" <mike@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering--
>
> Anyone know why some of the kit lenses (18-55mm) that come with these
> two cameras are shown as "USM" (ultrasonic focusing motor) and some are
> not??
>
> Is one more desirable than the other? Should this be taken into account
> when looking to purchase either of these two cameras?
>
> Thanks!
>
> M.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:11:47 PM

"Matthew Spivey" <matthew@mspivey.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Mike" <mike@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wondering--
>>
>> Anyone know why some of the kit lenses (18-55mm) that come with these
>> two cameras are shown as "USM" (ultrasonic focusing motor) and some are
>> not??
>>
>> Is one more desirable than the other? Should this be taken into account
>> when looking to purchase either of these two cameras?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> M.
>I think the USM are newer models, if your from the uk Jessops don't take
>non
> USM canon lenses in part exchange.

Actually the USM lenses use a silent focusing motor while with regulars
lens, you can hear the motor as you focus.

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~tehawk
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:37:10 PM

"Mike" <mike@home.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know why some of the kit lenses (18-55mm) that come with these
> two cameras are shown as "USM" (ultrasonic focusing motor) and some are
> not??
>
> Is one more desirable than the other? Should this be taken into account
> when looking to purchase either of these two cameras?

USM lenses are quiet when focusing. Non USM are noisier. That's it in a
nutshell

--
Colm
!