akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
hello, I have a Radeon HD 6670 and I think the fan is running WAY to slow. Like i cant even feel the air and I could stop with with my finger, and last night when i turned off my pc i felt the pcb and it was really hot. what do I do?

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I will report in later after running for an hour, so anything above 90 i should shut down?

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Went into low 70's and I noticed fan wasn't spinning, I nudged it a little and it started to spin very slow

Go into Catalyst Control Center and check temps. See if you can manually set the fan speed higher. If you can't, it may be defective. How old is the card? If it is still in the warranty period, you can contact the manufacturer for warranty repair or replacement.
If you can set the fan speed higher, set it at perhaps 60% or so.
You could use a program like MSI's Afterburner (free, and your card doesn't have to be from MSI) to set a fan speed profile, so instead of one rate (e.g. 60% as above), the fan will vary based on temperature or load.

Ooh, got delayed on my post; looks like Robjordy has you covered.

If the fan wasn't spinning, the bearings may be shot. You can check on warranty repair/replacement, get an aftermarket cooler, or get a new card.
Depending on the games you play and your resolution, you may be finding that HD6670 a little weak. Something like a HD7770 would be a hefty upgrade, and not too expensive.

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I went to the ASRock afterburner for my motherboard and I can't find anywhere to control it, I just received it yesterday and today I'll give them a call. As of now I'm downloading MSI afterburner, let's see if this works

|| edit: went to catalyst control center and changed the fan speed manually, it apparently was set to 30%

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

It spun fast for like a minute then went back. It's probably defective, I will call and ask for a replacement today.

Edit: forgot to add, to see what would happen when I put it on 100% it was spinning a bit faster at a steady pace.

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Nope, still spinning at the same pace, GPU is about 40~ idle, I'm going to play Amnesia for 15 mins and check back

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I have 3 fans, 1 is intake 2 exhaust

100% is pretty quiet, just ran Amnesia for 10 mins, and it jumped to 57~

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
After an hour of playing Crysis2 on ultra setting, my ASUS HD6850 temp. is 53C. I went into AMD Vision Engine Control Center under performance , AMD over drive, Enable graphics over drive, Enable manual fan control, to 100%. Sure the fan noise is increased but the temp. stays down.

I don't think anything is wrong actually. ( or not anymore )

53C under load is very, very low. Thats why the fan ain't spinning faster.

If thats the temp you get under auto fan settings under load you're more than fine.

What cpu do you have, maybe the 6670 is being hold back by it.

Still wonder about this part though ; "Went into low 70's and I noticed fan wasn't spinning, I nudged it a little and it started to spin very slow" It should have been spinning there.

I think i still RMA'd it.

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I have a quad core AMD Phenom II. I have no idea, but I'm going to be giving them a call tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help though