Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 Budget $100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 31, 2012 1:37:37 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The sooner the better.

BUDGET RANGE: $100

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
The only game I play on my computer is World of Warcraft. With their new expansion patch coming out next month, my graphics card will no longer play the game good. I am currently playing on all low settings with about 7 FPS with the new patch that came out. I would be quite happy with 40 FPS.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
My current card is Nvidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 integrated and my power supply is a 300w.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
eMachines ET1331G
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6 GB DDR2 memory
750 GG HDD
AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 235e Processor 2.70 GHZ
I think it has 1 PCI-Express x16 slot.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon.com, Walmart.com (crap site I know, but husband gets a discount there)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have no preference in brand as long as it will work.

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Probably not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I don't need to launch rocket ships or play twelve games at a time on this computer. I just want to play World of Warcraft. That is all I really need it to do.

I have been looking at cards like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Evga-GeForce-Express-Graphics-01G...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 3:42:00 PM

Is there any other information I could provide that would help in figuring out if those cards would work with my mobo? Would a picture of the slots help? I really don't want to buy the wrong one and do damage to my computer.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 4:12:53 PM

Nope, pictures won't help.
Pci-e 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 look the same.

Only way to be 100% sure is to find someone with the same pc or mobo running a card like that. I know from experience that it is possible to find info ( also a lot of times nothing to find . . .) but can take you some time.

Or just take the gamble, maybe ask the seller if it's possible to send it back if it doesn't work with your mobo.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 4:17:32 PM

You should aim for GT 440/GT 640. Those cards will definitely work the your PC and they will play World of Warcraft decently (not on maximum settings, though).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 4:38:15 PM

thirteenthmuse said:
Is there any other information I could provide that would help in figuring out if those cards would work with my mobo? Would a picture of the slots help? I really don't want to buy the wrong one and do damage to my computer.


There won't be any damage that graphic card ca cause. the only issue that I can see could be that the it won't fit your case and that your 300W PSU won't be enough. Do you need low profile card for example? is there enough room?

Also I'm not sure how you can game at 7fps that is not gaming my friend it is torture.

I would go with 6670 as well for $50 it is the best performance that you can get at that range Nvidia is nowhere near. If you want to spend little more get 7750 it is about 25% faster than 6670....now 6670 require 400W PSU and 7750 500W PSU so you can try your luck with 6670. Thsi will for sure overload your system and PSU may blow so get newer PSU as well...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 4:52:42 PM

Ok so I looked up your emaschene...this PSU will fit and it is for $35 for 500W. It is a great brand name PSU so no worries.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
so your total will be $75 after rebates considering you will get 6670 and that PSU

Good luck and game on
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 5:30:39 PM

maxinexus said:
There won't be any damage that graphic card ca cause. the only issue that I can see could be that the it won't fit your case and that your 300W PSU won't be enough. Do you need low profile card for example? is there enough room?

Also I'm not sure how you can game at 7fps that is not gaming my friend it is torture.

I would go with 6670 as well for $50 it is the best performance that you can get at that range Nvidia is nowhere near. If you want to spend little more get 7750 it is about 25% faster than 6670....now 6670 require 400W PSU and 7750 500W PSU so you can try your luck with 6670. Thsi will for sure overload your system and PSU may blow so get newer PSU as well...



:pfff:  7750 uses less than 6670 . . . http://www.hwcompare.com/11733/radeon-hd-6670-oem-1gb-v... and is way better.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 5:36:58 PM

Low profile is not needed, only a very short one ( see my earlier link )

Assuming that it is 2.0 because it was released in 2007 can be right but doesn't say that much, especially the cheaper oem manufacturers tend to use cheaper, maybe older boards.
m
0
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 5:39:13 PM

If you wanna be sure about the psu, open your case and look how many amperes there are on the +12V rail.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 6:04:58 PM

You can get the EVGA GTX 550 ti for $99 @ newegg right now. It will perform better than any other card unless you want to spend around $150. Your PSU is...very lacking though, and you might want to buy a new one because I doubt it will run any modern card. You could probably get a nice 400-500w one for around $30-$40.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 6:21:35 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
You can get the EVGA GTX 550 ti for $99 @ newegg right now. It will perform better than any other card unless you want to spend around $150. Your PSU is...very lacking though, and you might want to buy a new one because I doubt it will run any modern card. You could probably get a nice 400-500w one for around $30-$40.


Actually, HD 7770 goes for around $120 and over performs GTX 550 Ti.
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 7:42:13 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Radeon 6670 and a 500 watt power supply. Does that sound about right?
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 7:49:34 PM

which power supply unit?
m
0
l
August 31, 2012 10:26:31 PM

The one mentioned above. The Corsair one.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
August 31, 2012 10:55:22 PM

Sounds great.
m
0
l
September 5, 2012 8:13:06 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I got the power supply and graphics card in today. They are installed and working. There was just enough room in the case for the psu. World of Warcraft is up to at least 50-60 fps. I've never seen the game look like that.

So thank you so much!
m
0
l
!