Boot_Device LED on, no display

BuckwheatNoodles

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hello guys,

So I built my first PC a couple of days ago, everything was fine booted nicely (All parts where new). Got the OS (Windows 7) installed and called it a day. Turned it on the next day to find it would not display on my monitor and the Boot_Device LED was light a solid red.

Now when I press the power button the system boots get a single beep from the on board speaker and the monitor detects a source but only displays a black screen (no splash screen, no bios).

My components are:
i5 3570K
Corsair H60
Asus P8Z77-V
16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz- CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
120Gb Corsair Force 3 SSD (OS on here)
2Tb Seagate Barracuda
2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVD drive
Corsair 850W HX

I've tried the usual troubleshoots (ie. checking cables in, cleared CMOS, gpu/ram seated properly...) but nothing seems to work. Just don't understand how it booted up fine once I'd built it and let me install OS, then not boot the next day.

Any suggestions to what could be wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Since you say it beeps once, a good sign then we can move on to basics.
most likely is the video cable is not connected to the primary default output port.
Instead sitting on the secondary. Hence a black screen

BuckwheatNoodles

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Have tried display from every port available (on gpu and integrated) and always a black screen.

BuckwheatNoodles

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Hey sushchop

Well, after individually testing all the components the motherboard was found to be faulty. So I sent it back in the hope of getting a replacement. After a week i received a free replacement. When the new board was fitted and everything connected I powered it up. Although it began to boot up it only displayed an initial splash screen and then went no further. So there's half a solution i suppose, but no the problem is not resolved yet it appears.

Are you having a similar issue?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Dont forget the board has on board Graphics, reset the bios and as soon as it posts go into the bios the key to enter it. Reset the bios to its factory defaults. Then go back into the bios and press F7 to go into the advanced bios mode, once in there go to the advanced mode tab click on it.

In this section you will find the options on how to setup the graphics cards, you need to set the option in there to Peg mode if you want the 660 Ti card to be the default Graphics output device, You can also turn the on board intel graphics off total if you desire.

Igpu mode should be set to off.

Make sure memory remaping hole is also enabled in the options as you have 16Gb of system memory. And make sure the graphics card is inserted into the the black slot to support a Pci-e 2.0 graphics card, or a 3.0 spec card. Save and exit the bios and install the os.

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
do you have any usb devices connectd to the computer that it might be trying to boot from??

A USB flash drive or USB optical drive ??

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Also, when you test onboard graphics actually remove the 660ti, also all but one dimm, basically everything except processor, and one stick of ram