Warranty Issue

godziothc

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I have noticed a drop in performance a while ago, the games I used to play were not giving me the same fps rates. As usual i dismissed the problem for later until something actually happened. At a certain stage i started experiencing system lockups (from gpu overheating - Asus GTX 285) with graphical artifacts in games i played before without any issues. I unplugged the card from the slot and after a while noticed a few burnt components on it. After that i immediatly contacted my retailer and sent the card out in a few days. Now after 4 weeks he tells me that the card came back from repairs and they say there was no fault found where im preety sure the fault didnt lie with drivers or the system as nothing was changed, it just started one day.

Is there something i can do before they send it back and i have to go through the process again?

drums101

Distinguished
so they are telling you there is nothing wrong with the card? or that there is something wrong with it but wont fix/replace it? I am surprised your card is still under warranty gtx 285's are getting pretty old now. what brand is it? you could ask to talk to a manager and work your way up the chain of command at whatever company it is...remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

godziothc

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The card is an Asus GTX 285, Matrix Series. Got it almost 2 years ago and it still has a month or two of retailers warranty (Asus gives 3 years manufacturers warranty but upon contact tells me to go through my retailer anyway, talk about helpful :/)

The rig cannot properly run games it used to, and the gpu is overheating in games it shouldn't. I cannot say this for sure as I don't have as much knowledge on the subject, but from my observations the card is faulty (or reaching the end of its life). For example I was running Payday: The Heist the other day before sending it back, and after a while the system just shuts off from overheating (on a rig over the recommended settings) Same thing with a recent 4x strategy Endless Space which runs well on my integrated mobo card now that the pci one is away (granted, in lower resolution).

I googled a few different topics similar to my situation, and from what i heard many gtx's from that time had issues with fan speeds, going up to around 40% of the actual values, and this seemed to describe my problem well. I tried to work with Asus's app to control fan speeds, but whenever i changed a setting the screen turned to a solid color (white, red, brown - different from time to time) and just stopped responding. The fan would start to blow hard but a hard reset was needed to get the computer working again after which the fans went back to their default speeds.

Basically I think that my card is faulty, it overheats easily while the fan isn't even working that much, but the certified asus service seems to think otherwise, and I'm really angry at myself for buying a computer in Poland as I'm living in Ireland atm, and the whole sending-waiting-waiting-talking-waiting again is driving me crazy

Sorry if im not making much sense, I really hope I'm not the crazy one here

drums101

Distinguished
No i def understand where you are coming from it sucks have to deal with companies and warranties...so what is the most recent status? Is it still at asus and they are saying that the card is perfectly fine? if so you should call a supervisor there and see what they say.