Wolf's Rain!

BTW, anyone interested in Garou (and to a slightly lesser extent,
Lunars) is STRONGLY encouraged to check out Wolf's Rain, a new anime
series from the same crew that made Cowboy Bebop, premiering on
Cartoon Network, er...right about now...

Dex

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> BTW, anyone interested in Garou (and to a slightly lesser extent,
> Lunars) is STRONGLY encouraged to check out Wolf's Rain, a new anime
> series from the same crew that made Cowboy Bebop, premiering on
> Cartoon Network, er...right about now...
>
> Dex

I love the series, but I've been watching fansubs. Good stuff, gorgeous
animation.

I don't know about it being good Werewolf inspiration, though. It's
very much about wolves hiding behind illusions.

And Toboe is really really really cute. :)

http://www.ukepile.com/toboe/

william

Hand-of-Omega wrote:
> BTW, anyone interested in Garou (and to a slightly lesser extent,
> Lunars) is STRONGLY encouraged to check out Wolf's Rain, a new anime
> series from the same crew that made Cowboy Bebop, premiering on
> Cartoon Network, er...right about now...
>
> Dex

Looking quite good so far, though the mythos/interpretation obviously
has nothing to do with Whitewolf's. Probably weren't even drawn from the
same myths.

William

William <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:
> Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> > BTW, anyone interested in Garou (and to a slightly lesser extent,
> > Lunars) is STRONGLY encouraged to check out Wolf's Rain, a new anime
> > series from the same crew that made Cowboy Bebop, premiering on
> > Cartoon Network, er...right about now...
> >
> > Dex
>
> Looking quite good so far, though the mythos/interpretation obviously
> has nothing to do with Whitewolf's. Probably weren't even drawn from the
> same myths.

Actually, this sounds fairly close to WW's mythos, or some future
extrapolation of it. Environmental devastation has driven wolves
to extinction. Wolves are proud but can conceal their appearance
and pass for human (more Monkey Puzzle-style than shapeshifting).
And while the (Moon) Flower Maiden has technological origins, the
promise of Paradise does sound a little like the Summerhome Realm
(inasmuch as it sounds like another realm, given what we've heard
and what I've read in reviews). I'm stretching for it, but there
are parallels that might be useful for drawing inspiration.

It will probably be less applicable to a vanilla Werewolf game
than Witch Hunter Robin may be to a vanilla Mage game. If you
ran a Werewolf: the Post-Apocalypse game. set 200 years in the
future, there will probably be more useful overlap.

BTW, the series runs 30 episodes. Witch Hunter Robin ran 26, for
comparison's sake, though it looks like this will take four times
as long before they repeat it as it's only shown one night a week
(if you haven't bought into TiVo yet...).

> William

Vis Sierra

Hand-of-Omega wrote:

> BTW, anyone interested in Garou (and to a slightly lesser extent,
> Lunars) is STRONGLY encouraged to check out Wolf's Rain, a new anime
> series from the same crew that made Cowboy Bebop, premiering on
> Cartoon Network, er...right about now...
>
> Dex

Watched it. Don't know how much I like it, but I wasn't paying much
attention, either.

Vis Sierra <visitant@geocities.com> wrote in message news:<9fmm80117mkm45s5hs1snetpcnsicgvrta@4ax.com>...
> William <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:

> > Looking quite good so far, though the mythos/interpretation obviously
> > has nothing to do with Whitewolf's. Probably weren't even drawn from the
> > same myths.
>
> Actually, this sounds fairly close to WW's mythos, or some future
> extrapolation of it. Environmental devastation has driven wolves
> to extinction. Wolves are proud but can conceal their appearance
> and pass for human (more Monkey Puzzle-style than shapeshifting).
> And while the (Moon) Flower Maiden has technological origins, the
> promise of Paradise does sound a little like the Summerhome Realm
> (inasmuch as it sounds like another realm, given what we've heard
> and what I've read in reviews). I'm stretching for it, but there
> are parallels that might be useful for drawing inspiration.

Which Realm is it where garou are stuck in Lupus form while being
relentlessly hunted by humans?

> It will probably be less applicable to a vanilla Werewolf game
> than Witch Hunter Robin may be to a vanilla Mage game. If you
> ran a Werewolf: the Post-Apocalypse game. set 200 years in the
> future, there will probably be more useful overlap.

I didn't watch far enough into the series, but there was some
speculation that the Nobles might be some kind of Vampires...I also
suspect that the Wolf Hunters' dog might really be one of them...

> BTW, the series runs 30 episodes. Witch Hunter Robin ran 26, for
> comparison's sake, though it looks like this will take four times
> as long before they repeat it as it's only shown one night a week
> (if you haven't bought into TiVo yet...).

Interesting. I remembering hearing from the fansub crowd that,
probably because animation got too far behind, WR actually has *four
straight recap episodes*! If so, and if they keep those, hopefully
they'll arrange for them all to be on one disc that people can easily
skip without missing anything...^__^

I was pretty impressed that they kept the closing credit animation and
song...

Dex
<sigh>...guess it's about time I started the long, arduous journey
back to rec.arts.anime.misc...