Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon 3000, XP SP(3)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2012 4:12:40 PM

Hello,

I have a Windows XP SP-3 computer that's been having some trouble lately. It regularly BSODs citing "ati2dvag" -- which I interpreted to mean the ATI driver was malfunctioning. I know there were some changes such as a new monitor, and I believe the driver was updated via ATI's site (many people use this computer).

While I'm currently uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers (latest, then older), I was curious: the system is supposed to be recording BSODs in a memory dump, but it isn't. It seems to record neither small dumps or a kernel dump. The "MEMORY.DMP" file doesn't even exist, and the Minidump folder only has files from several months ago.

Aside from the "Settings and Recovery" settings for memory dumps, are there other settings I need to change to make my system record memory dumps properly?

Any help would be appreciated!

More about : ati radeon 3000

August 31, 2012 4:15:38 PM

I'd suggest checking your memory. You can use memtest tool for that:

www.memtest.org
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:46:46 PM

If many people use that computer it's likely that one of them decided to remove the page file or turn of memory dumps.

Having multiple users with administrator access is like sharing needles with homeless people. It's not a matter of whether or not you get something bad but when.

There's probably a ton of other problems with that PC as a result. I suggest that you reformat it and lock it down tight.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2012 4:59:46 PM

I'm going to perform a memtest later today now that I've located the XP disc. So we'll see on that one.

About the users, there're only two administrators (of which I am one), but logs aren't really kept on changes. We're a small IT department for a large operation. But after we talked the only changes possible would be the drivers and the monitor.

Would you guys agree, then, that it should be recording memory dumps with those settings? I'm not missing anything?
My background is mostly programming, not administration; some forums have suggested I have to enable a specific type of system logging for memory dumps to happen?
m
l
August 31, 2012 5:02:21 PM

I doubt it. It should be on automatically.
m
l
August 31, 2012 5:04:43 PM

Malone said:
I'm going to perform a memtest later today now that I've located the XP disc. So we'll see on that one.

About the users, there're only two administrators (of which I am one), but logs aren't really kept on changes. We're a small IT department for a large operation. But after we talked the only changes possible would be the drivers and the monitor.

Would you guys agree, then, that it should be recording memory dumps with those settings? I'm not missing anything?
My background is mostly programming, not administration; some forums have suggested I have to enable a specific type of system logging for memory dumps to happen?

Memory dumps will happen automatically as long as the system has a pagefile that is of a minimum size to hold the kernel memory (about 800MB). If you haven't turned them off then they should still be on.

One of the big failures of XP/Server 2003 was that they did a very poor job of separating the Administrators from the users. By default it was still possible for users to dick around with most of the program files and settings.
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:19:16 PM

Ok, that makes sense. It's been driving me nuts because as far as I can tell it really should be working.

Well if it crashes again, I'll just do a reload and make sure all the settings are right and test the memory dumping on a clean install.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
!