New Coppermines labled FC-PGA2, does not matter!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The newer line of Tualatin CPU's is low voltage, 1.475v, BUT the standard PIII 1000EB and below are still the Coppermine, now at 1.75v. Intel confused their customers and distributors by putting the Tualatin heat shield on the Coppermine and calling BOTH an FC-PGA2. I know this because I just picked up TWO NEW coppermine PIII's in FC-PGA2 packaging. The way to tell them apart is the VOLTAGE, and the voltage is written on the box lable. Any 1.65v, 1.70v, or 1.75v PIII is a Coppermine and WILL WORK with earlier Coppermine compatable motherboards, even though they do look different. So you have to look at the voltage only. If you're looking at OEM CPU's, the voltage is still written on the processor as well.

Now one other thing, a Tualatin CPU will NOT turn on in a non-compatable board, Intel wired it that way for protection, so even if you did screw up and install a Tualatin, you wouldn't damage it, the computer simply wouldn't start. So you could still return it undamaged. But the best thing to do is look at the voltage!

I post this here because people have been PM'ing me concerning this.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FC-PGA2 is a physical description of the package and does not indicate which core is used inside. Just as you can get coppermine cores in SECC2 and FC-PGA (and FC-BGA if you want to be picky) formats, you can also now get them in FC-PGA2 format. I think distributors and motherboard manufacturers are to blame for the confusion as much (if not more) then intel.

Katmai cores are packaged in SECC2 only
Coppermine cores can be found in SECC2, FC-PGA, and FC-PGA2 packages
Tualatin cores are all FC-PGA2

- JW

So what's the current coppermine CPU speed? 1.13? 1.2?

Any plans to increase coppermine speeds?

I would like to try a higher one than my 1.0, but the price vs the increase ain't worth it right now.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

eden

Champion
Well if you remember the 1.13GHZ tale, of a processor that was recalled the next day and caused "trauma", you'll know Coppermines are not really the upgradeable ones over 1GHZ, than Tuallies ever will!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
the tualatin will be going up to 1.6ghz. i forgot where i read it though, someone was saying their going to stop the tualatins at 1.8ghz. those being the PIII-S chips with 512kb L2

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.0GHz for the PIII Coppermine, 1.1GHz for the Celeron Coppermine (the 128k version, for those who don't understand). They just couldn't get that last 30MHz out of it realiably enough for production. But I have a friend running his 1.0 at 1.25GHz!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
intel re-released the coppermine 1.13EB (133FSB) and 1.10E (100FSB) with the cD0 stepping and they both work fine. A little hard to find 'tho.

As a side note, I think intel calls the current P4s an FC-PGA2 package as well.

As another side note:
SECC2 = Single Edge Contact Card (v2)
FC-PGA = Flip Chip - Pin Grid Array (flipped so that core is on top so the heatsink directly touches the core for better heat transfer)
FC-BGA = Flip Chip - Ball Grid Array (instead of having pins it has little feet so you can solder it down)

- JW

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the <A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=483&CorSpd=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&PkgType=ALL" target="_new">intel page</A> it clearly says "FC-PGA2 478-pin"

- JW

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is no Tualatin PIII-1000.

There are two Coppermine PIII-1000 cores in an FC-PGA2 package, both cD0 stepping. SL5FQ (retail) and SL5B3 (retail and OEM).

The PIII-1.0A you are reffering to is most likely a <A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5VP&ProcFam=49&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL" target="_new">Tualatin Celeron-1000</A>.

- JW

So are the tualatin Celerons effectively PIII EBs? (256K etc.) or are they too 0.13 and therefore not an option. (BX133R).

Ahh, Just remembered. Celerons are still 100MHZ FSB, aren't they? Damn!

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by camieabz on 04/01/02 10:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No. To begin with, "B" stands for 133MHz FSB, all Celerons from 800 up are at 100MHz FSB. And no, they are not the special super pricey 1000E units that have the 100MHz FSB, because the 256k Celerons are all Tualatin, having 1.475v or less, not compatable with VRM 8.4 boards unless you use an adapter from Powerleap.

Codfish

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
Are you sure the PIII 1.13GHz is a coppermine? Intel sspec <A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5LT&ProcFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL" target="_new">SL5LT</A> & <A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5GQ&ProcFam=25&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL" target="_new">SL5GQ</A> have them as tualatins.