Sign in with
Your question

Speakers for the system!

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2012 2:03:55 PM

Hi guys so im finished building the inetorior of my new PC and i have purachsed the components, one piece i havnt had on a PC for a number of years are Speakers, i really would like to becom emersed in my gaming experience and so i have researched Speakers but i am seeing a huge jump in price range, normally from around £15-25 to £50-70 then the big £150 ramge onwards, i wonder if the sound chip in the mobo is normally enough to support most,

I ordered a Sabertooth Z77 Asus Mobo as i think its first builder friendly and is durable which is the main factor i looked for in all my pieces of the build, this is the Audio information of it

Audio

Realtek ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

I believe this is sound (no pun intended) :D  and should be good enough but i dont really know what bearing it has and that if the speakers require a certain sound card etc. so any help is appreciated in choosing a set to blast the awesomeness around my room, I also wonder if you can get wireless speakers to put around the room, or if you just wire it through the wall,or if its all connected together, i really am quite the nooblet to all this

Thanks for reading and suggestions :)  Price isnt much of a obstacle as i still have plenty left from the build, cheers again! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

More about : speakers system

October 27, 2012 2:10:30 PM

If you are just looking to game, the onboard is plenty quality wise. It is not the best when you do RMAA tests or other similar audio tests to quantify it. However, for gaming, so much of the game audio is not sensitive to changes in timbre and last 1 bit of resolution, so you should be absolutely fine for gaming with the Realtek onboard CODEC.

As for a good set of speakers, the Corsair SP2500's are really good for just plain stereo gaming. Stereo is where most games begin and end these days, if you insist on going multi-channel, you should consider a home theater system, like a set of KEF's and pipe out the sound over HDMI from the computer or SPDIF/Toslink to a receiver for 5.1 surround.

Stereo is usually enough (or headphones).

Corsair's SP2500:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001&name=Speakers
October 27, 2012 2:30:09 PM

There is really no reason to get a dedicated sound card unless you are one of those people that MAKES music, or does other types of sound recording.

As for speakers I would personally recommend Bose. They have a set that goes for about $80 (companion 2 i think they're called) I used them extensively when I lived in a dorm-type setup, and they sounded just as good (and loud) as my roommate's $400 dollar 5.1 system.
Related resources
October 27, 2012 2:37:57 PM

unless you're going to buy the corsair speakers mentioned above, or even if you are, a dedicated sound card is leaps and bounds over ANY on-board sound I ever heard.

difference being like listening to your music on a 2 dollar fm radio or a 500 stereo system.

October 27, 2012 3:10:05 PM

Quote:
^ when is the last time you bought/built? They are pretty good these days.

I went from a 5.1 to a 2.1 system....( too many speakers get in the way ) ... self built. now has a 10" sub, 2 6" mids, 4 - 3" mid/tweeter and 1" tweets. about 25watts per.......... sound okay plugged into the motherboard but sound awesome plugged into the sound card. Still working on them as we speak. picked up some magnet wire and some caps 2 nights ago.
October 27, 2012 4:01:08 PM

It really depends on how much you want to spend. You could go S/PDIF TOSLink optical from your motherboard to a $1000 Home Theater System all the way down to a $5 pair of 2.0 speakers. If you're looking for a full surround sound set of speakers, I think you also need to take into account the size of the room.

When I had my system set up in a smaller room, my set of Logitech X-530s was more than enough. When I moved to a larger living space, the X-530s didn't provide the "Full Room" sound I had previously. Now, in order to get my "Full Room" sound, I go S/PDIF TOSLink Optical (on my motherboard), out to my Onkyo HT-S3200.

Obviously, I've had this system for awhile now.

-Wolf sends
October 27, 2012 6:17:00 PM

I'd pretty much always recommend Logitech speakers and the only time that I've had some speakers of theirs break, it was after 4-5 years, and they still gave me a 50% off coupon as they were not only out of warranty, but out of production too.

Creative speakers I've heard are good too, though do seem a little pricey, though their soundcards have never failed me yet.
!