Canon 20D Flash Underexposure

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 8, 2005 6:01:12 PM

Anybody troubled with flash underexposure from his/her 20D? On mine, when
flash is the primary light source, 1 or 2 stops of exposure compensation
seem to be needed to get the correct exposure. This, with both the built-in
flash and with a 580EX. Canon seems to be unaware of the cause. I'm hoping
for a firmware upgrade

atraveler
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:01:13 PM

Fear not-- you are not alone. Something to do with the new exposure system
and attempting to preserve the highlights. Numerous reports, although the
work-around right now is to bump up flash exposure compensation (FEC) by
+2/3. Search the threads in the www.dpreview.com forum for the 20D for MANY
discussions of this situation.

"atraveler" <andyhopper@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Anybody troubled with flash underexposure from his/her 20D? On mine, when
> flash is the primary light source, 1 or 2 stops of exposure compensation
> seem to be needed to get the correct exposure. This, with both the
built-in
> flash and with a 580EX. Canon seems to be unaware of the cause. I'm
hoping
> for a firmware upgrade
>
> atraveler

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:01:13 PM

"atraveler" <andyhopper@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Anybody troubled with flash underexposure from his/her 20D? On mine, when
> flash is the primary light source, 1 or 2 stops of exposure compensation
> seem to be needed to get the correct exposure. This, with both the
> built-in
> flash and with a 580EX. Canon seems to be unaware of the cause. I'm
> hoping
> for a firmware upgrade
>
> atraveler

Oh, Canon is aware of it. It is a consistent problem, not only with the
20D, but with the 1D mkII. I think it is a fault in the new ETT-L II
cutting the power of the flash too much in relation to distance to subject.
But that's just my theory.
I returned the 580EX we bought, because it didn't solve the exposure
problem. We get excellent exposures with the Quantum T4D flashes that we
rent, but my wife wanted something a little less bulky for general
photography. My 420EX seemed inadequate, but the 580 was no improvement.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

{FU set to r.p.d.}

Skip M wrote:
> Oh, Canon is aware of it. It is a consistent problem, not only with the
> 20D, but with the 1D mkII. I think it is a fault in the new ETT-L II
> cutting the power of the flash too much in relation to distance to subject.
> But that's just my theory.
> I returned the 580EX we bought, because it didn't solve the exposure
> problem. We get excellent exposures with the Quantum T4D flashes that we
> rent, but my wife wanted something a little less bulky for general
> photography. My 420EX seemed inadequate, but the 580 was no improvement.

Is there any difference in using ETTL with the camera in auto mode vs.
manual in terms of the underexposure problem? I am still experimenting
with the 550EX and the 20D.

I may go to all manual, as I'd just as soon the screwups be mine vs. the
camera's.

--
John McWilliams
!